Ultra Super Tiny Mini Meet (Only 2 Head-Fiers)
Jan 15, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #121 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Miguel, can you give some impressions as to how the Go-Vibe V5 with 8620/8610 fares against the stock LM6172/LM6171 configuration?

I have the V5S and was wondering whether it was worth my while to purchase the 8620/8610 mounted on brown-dog adapters from Norm for $28.00.

Cheers, Dex

On some songs it sounds great. For the vast majority stick with the LM6172/6171 and save your money.

Jan 17, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #122 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On some songs it sounds great. For the vast majority stick with the LM6172/6171 and save your money.

Hmm, so not exactly a raving endorsement, then. Thanks, Miguel!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #123 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I kind of mentioned to Vorlon1 we should do an update on the portable amps. This because we both have acquired additional ones which would add a broader perspective to the mix.

For example I have acquired:

1. RSA the Tomahawk
2. Headphonia
3. Supermacro LE (with lots of various OP amps to mix and match
icon10.gif
)
4. Portaphile V2^2
5. Go-Vibe 5 with 8620/8610

Vorlon1 has also acquired 1 and 4 as well as others. Vorlon would you please post the additional portable amps you have acquired (it will be a very long list, he has been very busy
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

This would be most apprecaited should you two find the time. I would be especially interested in how the new Macro LE sounds.
Thanks for all the great info you two!
580smile.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #124 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the review I have acquired a Portaphile V2^2, Tomahawk, Xtra-X1, C & C Box, and a Darkvoice 336i. The sound of the mini has not appreciably changed since it got the latest upgrade to the power supply. I have not sent in the Micro for that upgrade because I do not want the sound altered in any way ( I do not know if the power supply change will affect the sound, but I am taking no chances.)

The Xtra unit is competent, but not very atmospheric, and doesn't excite me too much. The C & C Box is really surprisingly good, deep bass, clear high end, liquid mids very smooth, grain free sound. Very similar sound to the Portaphile V2^2, but maybe a bit smoother with slightly more foreward mids, but nice for singing voices. The little amp drives full size cans such as the K 701 and HD 600 very well, nice warm, but detailed sound. Strongest bass of any portable I own.

I also like the Tomahawk a great deal. Sounds great with SHure E 500s, Triple-Fi's and UM 2s. Similar warm, but detailed sound as the SR-71 and the Hornet, but with its own style of refinment and detail within what I perceive as the RSA house sound. My daily carry around amp at the moment (maybe until mrarroyo gives me back the micro??? or maybe not, I'll put them head to head and see).

This thread is a blast! Thank you for taking the time gentlemen. vorlon1/mrarroyo I just ordered the C&C and would love to see a comparison with the SuperMicro-IV. These would be great too iBasso P1, XM4 and maybe Xtra 1. I can see more money coming out of my pockets soon...

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #125 of 190
We are actually getting together tomorrow to listen to some more portables and add them to this review, so stay tuned.

Jan 28, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #126 of 190
Quote:

We are actually getting together tomorrow to listen to some more portables and add them to this review, so stay tuned.

keep us updated!

Jan 30, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #127 of 190
Quote:

Eagerly awaiting.
biggrin.gif
I think my second amp will be the iBasso P1 and possibly Little Dot MICRO-TUBE/Xin Supermicro IV.

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #130 of 190
The good news is that we met and tested gear. The bad news is that we did not finish. For now I will give you a condensed version of what happened.

Vorlon1 and I had like 30+ op-amps which we started swapping in and out to see which combination sounded best in either the Supermini IV and the Supermacro LE. All this time we were comparing the sound against the World Amp Champ = Supermicro IV. Well to both of our ears the best combination is the AD8616 in the 3/4 with the AD8656 in the L/R all buffers bypassed.

We also compared the SR71 vs The Hornet M vs The Tomahawk. To me the SR71 was the best of the three with The Hornet M in second. However since The Hornet M has the gain switch, built in charger, and is smaller it would be my choice for every day use. If I had to go on an extended overseas trip (say 2 weeks or more) then the Tomahawk would be my companion. I also believe the Tomahawk need more time to mature than the Hornet M, say about 550 hours vs 400 for the Hornet M. Their sound is very close with the Hornet having more punch and the Tomahawk a bit mellower.

We both liked the Portaphile V2^2 Maxxed with LT1210 and 1500 Black Gates. However it eats batteries like in 2.5 hours in full mode (gain in low). Yes you can get about 6. 5 hours out of alkaline if you turn the pilot light off and change the bandwidth to off. Although the decrease in sound quality is very negligible it can be heard if you pay attention.

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #132 of 190
Quote:

We both liked the Portaphile V2^2 Maxxed with LT1210 and 1500 Black Gates. However it eats batteries like in 2.5 hours in full mode (gain in low). Yes you can get about 6. 5 hours out of alkaline if you turn the pilot light off and change the bandwidth to off. Although the decrease in sound quality is very negligible it can be heard if you pay attention

I agree with the impressions in mrarroyo's post with one slight difference. With the Portaphile, I think turning the wide bandwidth off makes a bigger difference in the sound quality than he does. I think the transparency and overall texture and depth of presentation is significantly reduced (enough that for me, I wouldn't like to listen to it with the wide bandwidth off.) We may be hearing similar differences, but they just affect me more than they do him, and others may have different reactions entirely.

For the RSA vs. Xin comparisons, see our review posted earlier in this thread, I do not think our views of these amps have changed very much, if at all.

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #134 of 190
It's noticeable, but still somewhat subtle. Mrarroyo tends to prefer that, but I like the Tomahawk presentation, the Hornet sometimes hurts my ears with it's "punch," individual differences and preferences, ya know.

Feb 4, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #135 of 190
hey vorlon/mrarroyo, i placed an order for the supermicro IV based on your review!! let's see if the micro is indeed the world amp champ!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back