Ultimate 'travelling' closed back headphones?
Jul 13, 2022 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

John88

New Head-Fier
I'm interested in recommendations for closed back headphones for a specific use not well-catered for by manufacturers because of the popularity of bluetooth headphones which is travel - both commuting and holidays. I want something worth listening too on a bus, train or plane, but also good enough for critical listening when I get to where I'm going.

I have a pair of bluetooths - B&W PX7s which aren't too bad, but they just can't touch the sound I get from my older B&W P7s which I run from a Fiio M11 Pro via a balanced cable. But... fond as I am of the P7s, the sound pales a bit in terms of detail and richness when compared to my very un-portable Quad Era 1's and ifI-based desktop set up. In fact, the Quads are pretty damn special with the Fiio too.

The ideal combination would be:

1. closed backed and wired;
2. folding (and relatively compact);
3. good soundstage;
4. warm/neutral presentation; and
5. ideally, capable of being used with balanced cables.

Under consideration are:

1. Austrian Audio Hi-X60;
2. Campfire Audio Cascade; and
3. Oppo PM-3 (which seem to have a cult following and are still knocking around second hand years after production ceased).

Meze 99s sadly don't make the cut because they don't fold like the cans above. Their Lirics are tempting, but budget-murdering (about $1000 is my limit). I had B&W P9s for a bit but they were not especially comfortable for some reason and were semi-open so the isolation was rubbish.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 6
I know some folks that own the Oppo and love it. Have you looked into the Aeon 2 Closed?

Jul 14, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 6
My favorite is the AKG K371pro. Effecient so doesn't need an amp, I never wanted to equalize, and comes with 3 cables. They fold up well, and not so expensive I'm too worried to take them everywhere. The Bluetooth version doesn't sound as good though, like they're tuned for battery life instead.

Jul 15, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 6
I know some folks that own the Oppo and love it. Have you looked into the Aeon 2 Closed?
That's an interesting suggestion. I hadn't on the basis that it would need a bulky case for my bag, but see from Dan Clark's website it actually folds down pretty small. I'll read some reviews and have a think. Thanks very much for the idea.

Jul 15, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 6
My favorite is the AKG K371pro. Effecient so doesn't need an amp, I never wanted to equalize, and comes with 3 cables. They fold up well, and not so expensive I'm too worried to take them everywhere. The Bluetooth version doesn't sound as good though, like they're tuned for battery life instead.
Thanks very much, Dunring. I'd not considered them at all but will take a look.

Jul 16, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 6
That's an interesting suggestion. I hadn't on the basis that it would need a bulky case for my bag, but see from Dan Clark's website it actually folds down pretty small. I'll read some reviews and have a think. Thanks very much for the idea.
Now you've got me thinking. The Aeon 2 closed Noire has stellar reviews... they are definitely on the short list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back