Ultimate Ears UE4 Pro Review (Well, A Mini-Review Anyway)--The Poor Man's UE10 Pro
Jul 7, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #91 of 108
Hi all,

It's an old thread but I've only gotten around to reading this.

Great write-up, Jude. And thanks for pushing for model B ! :) I've been having my pair of UE4 for almost two years now. I began running them for normal listening, but soon I'll be using them as real IEMs (hooked-up to an IEM system for the stage) since I've gotten back to playing music. 

this looks very interesting and tempting indeed. i don't know much about IEMs though. i bought my first pair of R02-Pro's just a while ago and have been pretty content with them, but always wanted a custom fitted one like these. can IEM's compete with full-sized headphones though? will the best IEMs still give you the "in your head" feeling instead of the "in a room" feeling?

I can testify with the UE4 I have that "in my head" feeling. But at first this confused me and made me think badly about IEMs, because I was used to having the "in a room" feeling from universal headphones. However, in hindsight this was a case of different expectations.

The in-your-head feeling goes with the reason IEMs are built: for musicians to be able to hear themselves (or their instrument) while they sing (or play). You'd need to hook the pair up with an IEM system, of course, but that subject would make a different thread.

As an aside, I can't tell you how many times I've gotten post-gig comments from people in the audience about my dismayed expression whenever my floor monitor wasn't mixed well, even if I never harmed any sound engineer :) An example would be the vocalist's voice getting drowned out by the instruments... So with an IEM stage system I look forward to being able to monitor better our music while I'm playing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably not. With all the cheaper customs popping up, it was time for UE to market one of their own, or risk losing a whole emerging segment of the custom market: that of people too poor for the UE10, or who just can't justify the price tag. For UE's original customers, though, the professional performers, the top of the line will keep being the first choice; they won't skim on their tools of trade.

I see... So this UE 4 Pro is made for some lower-end market, competing with hearyourself, livewires, and others budget-friendly custom IEM makers. Can't wait for the comparison review between these IEMs... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Selamat pagi :)

Yes, the UE4 can be considered low-end. Or in the UE company line: "emerging artists".

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mids on the UE4Pro demos were vert transparent and slightly forward, and reminded me of the UM3X with UM56 custom tips.

UE 4 Pro demos? I thought each custom IEM can only be used with only one person (the owner itself). So I reckon that UE made the universal fit version of UE 4 Pro?

The demos were sent to beta testers whose ear molds were already in UE's possession.

Quote:
Sorry for bringing up this thread from the dead, but I just ordered a pair of UE-4. My first customs, I'm curious and excited...
biggrin.gif

I have a feeling you won't regret it!

R

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #92 of 108
Quote:
[size=large]Ultimate Ears UE4 Pro Review (Well, A Mini-Review Anyway)--The Poor Man's UE10 Pro[/size]

[Edited]

The UE4 prototype unit B was simply leaps and bounds ahead of its unit A counterpart. The bass was deep and impactful, but definitely on the more neutral side. Detail through the rest of the audible range was also much greater, and the treble extension was better than the A unit by a good margin, too. The UE4 prototype B reminded me of the UE10 Pro! Transparent, neutral, highly resolving.

[Edited]

Hi there,

I agree on all counts. Save for the bass part, I find them too light for my liking.
I listend a bit to a few tracks from Siskid, a French electro band and found my universal headphone (Astro A40) could punch those low sounds better. 

But for the overall sound the UE4 is on a different planet, for sure! 

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #95 of 108
I just recieved mine after looking through the forums. The customer service is really superb. Mine didn't fit that well the first time around but they quickly and wonderfully fixed my fit issues within 3 business days. They sound and fit great. 

Nov 13, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #98 of 108
Bump: anyone in the day and age of 2016/2017 advise if this are still the a good place to start for CIEMs?

For me I like average sound in the sense that it is not too extreme. For example, a slight bass boost is okay so long as the the balance of sound when listening to instrumental jazz isn't thrown off, or when I switch from EDM to classical music.

That's for sound. Soundstage wise not that picky also, but the more headroom and space for the same price, hit me up. As for warmth a shade of warmth is okay, but analytical is cool :)

Thank you!

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #99 of 108
Hi everyone

I am also curious if they are still a good start for CIEMS?

I am a Student and These are in a Price range which is acceptable to me.

Sorry for bringing this post up again, but it seems like the UE4 pro got not that much of attention here in the forum.

regards Phil

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #101 of 108
  Hi everyone

Sorry for bringing this post up again, but it seems like the UE4 pro got not that much of attention here in the forum.

regards Phil

I recently ordered my first CEIMs and the UE4 Pro were of course on the list of options. I did not get to audition them as my audiologist only had the UE7 Pro or up available at the time, so I can't say how good they are, but there are a lot more options available these days. Some of the other options I looked at were the 64 Audio A2e, JH Audio JH3X Pro, Empire Ears Supra II and Noble Trident. Of these I was only able to audition the Trident and I did not like it. I did like the far more expensive Noble Dulce Bass. Then I tried Custom Art and was immediately sold on their Ei.3. Just what I was looking for!

I would highly recommend auditioning whatever options you are interested in, as I had not expected to end up choosing the Ei.3.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #102 of 108
  Hi everyone

regards Phil

Hey man I recently got a pair of UE4s and I do not regret my decision. The sound quality is amazing, perfect sense of separation of instruments with the lows being there but not obtrusive, mids are nice and airy and the highs being clear and well defined. The entire process was a breeze and didn't require me to visit an Otolaryngologist since they now have their own 3d mapping software. Ive been using them daily since last October and they are still holding up. I feel like the sound quality gets better and better with daily use. 

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #104 of 108
@jude would you say the UE4 are still relevant entry CIEMs in today's crowded space?

I can answer that. The UE4Pro are not anymore in the line up of UE - so no. However the whole line up has received some new connectors and some also a few new insides. The UE18+Pro got updated, the UE7Pro just launched as well as the new flagship UE Live - looks like UE is on a roll.
The UE5Pro received the new connectors and cable.

I myself just ordered a UE11Pro - which a lot of people would say: old tech, only 4 drivers, you can get better nowadays... but can you? I am not so sure, I am quite content with my choice and can't wait until they arrive.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #105 of 108
I can answer that. The UE4Pro are not anymore in the line up of UE - so no. However the whole line up has received some new connectors and some also a few new insides. The UE18+Pro got updated, the UE7Pro just launched as well as the new flagship UE Live - looks like UE is on a roll.
The UE5Pro received the new connectors and cable.

I myself just ordered a UE11Pro - which a lot of people would say: old tech, only 4 drivers, you can get better nowadays... but can you? I am not so sure, I am quite content with my choice and can't wait until they arrive.

Cheers.

Yes, awful timing. Hope the new lineup sounds good and enjoy your purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back