Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
Apr 1, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #752 of 811
Hey all! I'm looking for a replacement cable that doesn't have memory wire but that still has the SL connector. The cheaper and softer the better. Any suggestions?

I was on a similar search and couldn't find anything I liked so this morning I ended up ordering the UE balanced SL cable from their website.

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #753 of 811
Is it just me, or does the new Ver.3 of UERR sound thin and unnatural?

I just came back from 2 different stores, one wih ver.2 UERR, dual pin version, and another store with the ver.3 that's using Bax cable. Ver.2 siunds organic and correct, while the one with Bax sounds just wrong. Cymbals and tambourines sound brightly-toned, as though all their warmth and lower portion of their sound have been stripped off and discarded. Kind of like how one's voice lack warmth in a phone call, but sounds full and correct when conversing face to face.

Wonder if it's the Bax cable that causing it, or if it's an entirely new tuning they aren't informing anyone about.

I prefer the tonality of the dual-pin version. Soundstage may not be out of head as I had preferred, but at least it sounded organic and convincing; real. Now it looks like I've been denied of ever owning one and kicked back out to do more research and hunting. I hate the hunting phase.

Our current market sure is very unfriendly towards some of us who take the effort and painstakingly test devices to make sure they really perform well to our expectations...

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #754 of 811
Wonder if it's the Bax cable that causing it, or if it's an entirely new tuning they aren't informing anyone about.

when I had my 18+ Pro re socketed I received a Bax cable and within an hour I was contacting somebody about changing a cable I adored with the 18s. best move I made, the Bax doesn't impress me for sound quality

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #755 of 811
Is it just me, or does the new Ver.3 of UERR sound thin and unnatural?

I just came back from 2 different stores, one wih ver.2 UERR, dual pin version, and another store with the ver.3 that's using Bax cable. Ver.2 siunds organic and correct, while the one with Bax sounds just wrong. Cymbals and tambourines sound brightly-toned, as though all their warmth and lower portion of their sound have been stripped off and discarded. Kind of like how one's voice lack warmth in a phone call, but sounds full and correct when conversing face to face.

I prefer the tonality of the dual-pin version. Soundstage may not be out of head as I had preferred, but at least it sounded organic and convincing; real. Now it looks like I've been denied of ever owning one and kicked back out to do more research and hunting. I hate the hunting phase.

Our current market sure is very unfriendly towards some of us who take the effort and painstakingly test devices to make sure they really perform well to our expectations...

There was no mention of updating to 3rd gen, but it is possible they changed the tuning a little.
BTW I have one pair of UERR 2 gen with 2 pin cable for sale (+reshell).

Jul 22, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #756 of 811
There was no mention of updating to 3rd gen, but it is possible they changed the tuning a little.
BTW I have one pair of UERR 2 gen with 2 pin cable for sale (+reshell).
Cool. I'm considering it, especially if I could get it re-shelled into universals version, with mmcx. I'm pretty sure UE will not entertain that kind of request, though. I have my own specific use for mmcx with memory wire.

Jul 31, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #759 of 811
If BAX is the 3rd gen and the 2-pin is the 2nd gen, what's the first gen?
Sorry for the confunsyon confuciusm confusion.

What I meant to say was in this way:
UE Reference models
1st gen: UERM, the OG reference
2nd gen: UERR (2-pin stock)
3rd gen: UERR (IPX + BaX stock config)

The 3rd Gen, which I understand to be a reboot of the remaster, sounds funny in its baxxed up config...

Jul 31, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #760 of 811
Wonder if it's the Bax cable that causing it, or if it's an entirely new tuning they aren't informing anyone about..

Sorry for the confunsyon confuciusm confusion.

What I meant to say was in this way:
UE Reference models
1st gen: UERM, the OG reference
2nd gen: UERR (2-pin stock)
3rd gen: UERR (IPX + BaX stock config)

The 3rd Gen, which I understand to be a reboot of the remaster, sounds funny in its baxxed up config...

Linum's cables except for the SuperBAX are designed to add resistance, I believe the BAX adds 1.5 ohms. Though looking at Cymbacavum's measurements w/ IEMatch it looks like it would darken or warm the sound if extra resistance were the introduced- perhaps the balance within this percussive region is altered? Were you using the same source and eartips/fit etc when comparing?

Also curious how people are liking the T2/IPX connector vs mmcx/2-pin.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #761 of 811
Were you using the same source and eartips/fit etc when comparing?
Yup. The same "lowly" E17K, bit-perfect from UAPP, and Havi B3 hole-punch foam tips. Bass 0, treble 0, gain 0dB, Vol 20-22.

Insertion depth being slightly deeper than ASG-1Plus, but still my 1Plus isolates better. Weird, huh.

Aug 1, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #762 of 811
Also curious how people are liking the T2/IPX connector vs mmcx/2-pin.

I had my 18+ Pro changed to IPX and it is significantly better than the SL 2 pin set up in regards to how the connector affects the shell, as for mmcx... the smaller size of IPX worries me if there is lateral force applied to the connector, but MMCX has a similar issue in that instance.

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #763 of 811
I'm personally ruling out all impressions between the 2-pin an IPX cable changes. You're without the IEM for a few days, so any 'changes' in sound could just be in your head. They test every IEM to make sure the frequency response is within their tolerances. For all you know, they could have tweaked your IEM a bit, but still be within spec.

That being said, my IPX connector needs to be replaced since the plastic is worn out and the cable pops out pretty easily. I'll have to send it in some time.

Sep 23, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #764 of 811
One of the UERR plastic ends that connects to the SL2 cable seems to have broken/crumbled recently. :triportsad:
Since I need to get it repaired I'm considering having it changed to the IPX connector.

Is the general consensus that IPX is an improvement over the older SL 2 pin connector?

Sep 23, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #765 of 811
One of the UERR plastic ends that connects to the SL2 cable seems to have broken/crumbled recently. :triportsad:
Since I need to get it repaired I'm considering having it changed to the IPX connector.

Is the general consensus that IPX is an improvement over the older SL 2 pin connector?

I faced the same dilemma a few months ago and opted to stick with the 2 pin connector due to cable pricing. I didn't do any objective quality comparisons or anything, but it does seem like the marketing for the IPX suggests it's more robust and sweat resistant long term. I don't disconnect/reconnect my cables frequently, so the wear on that connection isn't as important to me as the cost to replace the cables when need be. I'm on my 4th set of wires in the 3 years i've had them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back