Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
May 28, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #723 of 811
The connector is a different design, but it works with that type IEM socket. I am happy with quality of the cable. Soft and supple with low to no microphonics.
yea it looks like a superb quality design, originally I was afraid of all those reversed polarity claims all over the net, so I was a bit skeptical to use some after market cables or use UM/QDC cables on the UERR, as it won't be a good thing IF UE indeed have same plug with the UM/qdc CIEMs but have make the polarity opposite

May 28, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #724 of 811
yea it looks like a superb quality design, originally I was afraid of all those reversed polarity claims all over the net, so I was a bit skeptical to use some after market cables or use UM/QDC cables on the UERR, as it won't be a good thing IF UE indeed have same plug with the UM/qdc CIEMs but have make the polarity opposite
One disappointing bit for UE as a company was that back when I purchased the UERR in Sept 2017 I've never thought that the connector they've used so long and with good reliability will be replaced so soon and thought they would release a 4.4mm cable when it becomes more common, but very disappointing is the fact that their sudden revision of the connector AND when I contact UE, they just say they have no plan to update any future cable with the old connector, worse still for UE was they refused to provide any polarity information for the old connector so that I can order an aftermarket cable for use, it just don't make sense that they ended the old SL connector support or update of cables, then telling me to find a after market option, but when I ask what is the polarity config of the old socket they just said it's a ___ing secret!

Don't really make any sense to me though, a secret to protect their own cable sales is fine as always as this is their right, but when they decide they don't want the sale on a 4.4mm cable and they just tell us to random buy one aftermarket cable and hope it works is just.....

May 28, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #725 of 811

Just had a listen to YYZ (Rush-Moving Pictures) and Neil Peart's toms are running from right ear to left, so the image is proper

May 28, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #726 of 811
One disappointing bit for UE as a company was that back when I purchased the UERR in Sept 2017 I've never thought that the connector they've used so long and with good reliability will be replaced so soon and thought they would release a 4.4mm cable when it becomes more common, but very disappointing is the fact that their sudden revision of the connector AND when I contact UE, they just say they have no plan to update any future cable with the old connector, worse still for UE was they refused to provide any polarity information for the old connector so that I can order an aftermarket cable for use, it just don't make sense that they ended the old SL connector support or update of cables, then telling me to find a after market option, but when I ask what is the polarity config of the old socket they just said it's a ___ing secret!

Don't really make any sense to me though, a secret to protect their own cable sales is fine as always as this is their right, but when they decide they don't want the sale on a 4.4mm cable and they just tell us to random buy one aftermarket cable and hope it works is just.....

I would agree that is a frustrating experience

My experience has been all positive. I own both UERR and 18+ Pro, along with many different UE Pro cables. I am kinda locked into the extruded socket style for now, but always have the option of getting the cables re terminated. I have never (knock wood) had an issue with cables (either OEM or custom), but do understand your situation

As for proprietary... Apple and Sony ring true in that sense also (and point the finger at the consumer first).

May 28, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #727 of 811
I would agree that is a frustrating experience

My experience has been all positive. I own both UERR and 18+ Pro, along with many different UE Pro cables. I am kinda locked into the extruded socket style for now, but always have the option of getting the cables re terminated. I have never (knock wood) had an issue with cables (either OEM or custom), but do understand your situation

As for proprietary... Apple and Sony ring true in that sense also (and point the finger at the consumer first).
my experience with the sound of the UERR is very very positive, build quality is on so so level (mine have minor chipped away bits not treated by UE and ended up spending $30 for a local shop to polish that out and make the build practically perfect minus a few cloudy parts at the ear canal)

Cable wise if that's the case I might get the qdc one, as that is the only cable I can obtain easily in HK with same socket, just the polarity thing is holding me a bit off, just a bit too bad for them not to be able to provide one of the two major balanced cables out there, and tbh, some friends of mine do actually get pushed to UM and qdc for seeing my frustration, which is a bit sad as when they demo the UERR, they actually prefer the UERR more, just chose another product due to the inability to find some information on the connector makes it useless with their various rigs

May 29, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #728 of 811
my experience with the sound of the UERR is very very positive, build quality is on so so level (mine have minor chipped away bits not treated by UE and ended up spending $30 for a local shop to polish that out and make the build practically perfect minus a few cloudy parts at the ear canal)

Cable wise if that's the case I might get the qdc one, as that is the only cable I can obtain easily in HK with same socket, just the polarity thing is holding me a bit off, just a bit too bad for them not to be able to provide one of the two major balanced cables out there, and tbh, some friends of mine do actually get pushed to UM and qdc for seeing my frustration, which is a bit sad as when they demo the UERR, they actually prefer the UERR more, just chose another product due to the inability to find some information on the connector makes it useless with their various rigs

It is fully understandable that no manufacturer expects an end purchaser to perform any sort of DIY on their products, or to provide proprietory info for that purpose. for the obvious reason to avoid warranty claim disputes.

Actually the polarity can be checked within seconds with a multimeter (I'm no DIYer but have many DIYer friends to do stuff for me). The polarity of the UE 2pin system should be the reverse of the conventional 2 pin polarity - my friend checked it when he swapped a 4.4 on a UE original cable for me. And I believe UM and QDC employs the same polarity - have tried my UE cable on a few (but just a few) of their offerings without issues.

From the bottom of my heart I also hope UE would take care of the owners of iems with the old connector and release original upgrade cables with balanced plugs.

May 29, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #729 of 811
It is fully understandable that no manufacturer expects an end purchaser to perform any sort of DIY on their products, or to provide proprietory info for that purpose. for the obvious reason to avoid warranty claim disputes.

Actually the polarity can be checked within seconds with a multimeter (I'm no DIYer but have many DIYer friends to do stuff for me). The polarity of the UE 2pin system should be the reverse of the conventional 2 pin polarity - my friend checked it when he swapped a 4.4 on a UE original cable for me. And I believe UM and QDC employs the same polarity - have tried my UE cable on a few (but just a few) of their offerings without issues.

From the bottom of my heart I also hope UE would take care of the owners of iems with the old connector and release original upgrade cables with balanced plugs.
Thanks, so I can be pretty safe to use a qdc cable for my uerr, thanks for the info man

Jun 3, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #731 of 811
Jun 7, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #732 of 811
My original 18 Pros are finally dying and I'd like to switch to the UERR. I got my 18s with a meet discount and am wondering how to get something similar this time around. I missed NY CanJam and the regular NY meets are on hiatus.

Jun 9, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #733 of 811
My original 18 Pros are finally dying and I'd like to switch to the UERR. I got my 18s with a meet discount and am wondering how to get something similar this time around. I missed NY CanJam and the regular NY meets are on hiatus.

I already have my UERR - but would be curious as well as I have a few friends that are interested in getting some after seeing mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back