Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
Sep 23, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #766 of 811
I faced the same dilemma a few months ago and opted to stick with the 2 pin connector due to cable pricing. I didn't do any objective quality comparisons or anything, but it does seem like the marketing for the IPX suggests it's more robust and sweat resistant long term. I don't disconnect/reconnect my cables frequently, so the wear on that connection isn't as important to me as the cost to replace the cables when need be. I'm on my 4th set of wires in the 3 years i've had them...

I had my 18+ Pro changed to IPX
my UERR socket just crumbled recently I am sending them in for a repair to the same (SL socket).

personally each can fail in its own way. the IPX socket is encased in the shell so you don't have to worry about it crumbling although it can end up with the tiny little cable end snapped off inside with some side pressure

Sep 23, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #767 of 811
Thank you for the replies. Interesting you both are staying with the SL connection.
It's a $99 repair to stick with the SL socket and $150 (half price) to convert to IPX for the next couple weeks.
$50 seems worth it if it prevents more crumbling sockets, but the IPX cable end getting snapped off inside concerns me.
I'm leaning towards trying the IPX.. but will have to think this over.

Sep 23, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #768 of 811
Thank you for the replies. Interesting you both are staying with the SL connection.
It's a $99 repair to stick with the SL socket and $150 (half price) to convert to IPX for the next couple weeks.
$50 seems worth it if it prevents more crumbling sockets, but the IPX cable end getting snapped off inside concerns me.
I'm leaning towards trying the IPX.. but will have to think this over.

thanks for the tip on the IPX pricing... I will have to give that consideration when I place the repair order

Sep 25, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #769 of 811
Hi everyone,

What would you say is a DAP that the UERR work particularly well with?

I'm currently using mine with my Cowon Plenue 1, but it sounds very "dark" to me, and I guess that it is due to the Plenue 1...

Sep 25, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #770 of 811
Hi everyone,

What would you say is a DAP that the UERR work particularly well with?

I'm currently using mine with my Cowon Plenue 1, but it sounds very "dark" to me, and I guess that it is due to the Plenue 1...

I haven't tried many, but I've been loving the
ES-100 Ear Studio as a Bluetooth/USB DAC/AMP since i replaced my old e-17. It supports high bitrate codecs on Android and has a nice dsp eq with user presets if you want to tweak.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #772 of 811
Thank you guys! I will consider those...

May I ask what it is exactly with those DAPs that you mention that makes them work particularly well with the UERR (in your opinion)?

Sep 26, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #774 of 811
Thank you guys! I will consider those...

May I ask what it is exactly with those DAPs that you mention that makes them work particularly well with the UERR (in your opinion)?

The DX200 plays well with the UERR's strengths. I find it produces a very clear sound, well balanced, with great detail, texture, air, not dark. It is nice that you can try different amps as well. DX90 for a fraction of the cost sounds very good with these IEM's as well.

The Mojo is very musical, a touch darker than the iBasso. Very clear sound You can play with the source/cable to find the 'best' sound.

Oct 1, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #776 of 811
I finally got around to heading down to UE HQ in Irvine. I took in my UERM for repair, refit and the cable upgrade. I also gave a listen to the UERR universal demo units on display.

The UERR was really impressive. So much so that I decided to pick up a pair, but also get my UERM fixed 'as a backup'.
UE did the digital scans of my ears, and the order went in. They were able to use the digital scan to fix the fit on my UERMs. Both pairs were delivered within 7 days so I was able to take them on a cross-country airline trip.
I always thought the UERM was neutral, but compared to UERR there's a very noticeable 'cupped hands' quality to the presentation. The UERR sounds way more natural to my ears. I still use the EQ to add a touch of bass for rock listening, but less. Some records were not mixed on such neutral equipment.
I listen to recordings to learn to play the music, with the UERR, it's just plain easier to tell what notes were played.
Using the digital scans to refit my UERM, the fit is now more comfortable than any in-ears I've tried. Really all day comfortable. The UERRs go in a little deep but otherwise fit very well.
I'm sure that many will think $1k is a crazy amount to pay for headphones. But my UERM is 7.5 years old, where I literally didn't buy another pair of portables. Before that I was buying a pair of $100-$200 buds every year. These are end game headphones and come out less expensive in the long run.
Final note: The UERR doesn't come with the snazzy white capital studios logo by default. But the clear looks pretty cool. Much better than the insane blue and orange that I chose for my UERMs.

Oct 12, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #777 of 811
A few updates: Heading back to Irvine last week they fixed the fit on my UERR and they are now perfect.
If anybody is interested in the universals, I highly recommend going over to Massdrop and checking them out there for $795.

Oct 12, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #778 of 811
A few updates: Heading back to Irvine last week they fixed the fit on my UERR and they are now perfect.
If anybody is interested in the universals, I highly recommend going over to Massdrop and checking them out there for $795.

My UERR are due home next week after having IPX sockets installed. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed them until I sent them off for the last 2 weeks. unfortunately I live 2 time zones to the east, or I would have taken the trip to HQ.

Nov 19, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #779 of 811
Is there a reason the UERR almost never goes on sale? Ultimate Ears has a sale right now for almost all their IEMs, except their entry-level models and the UERR.

Nov 25, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #780 of 811
Is there a reason the UERR almost never goes on sale? Ultimate Ears has a sale right now for almost all their IEMs, except their entry-level models and the UERR.
My guess would be they probably see more interest in the other models amongst the general population that's shopping for IEMs. The UERR is geared more toward the audio engineer although plenty of us audiophiles like it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back