Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
Oct 17, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #646 of 811
My UERR's struck gold today (as in gold plated hifi cable). I am happy with it after a few hours of mixed listening. I was gonna attempt to go back an forth with the stock cable, but why bother. This cable didn't take away from anything and in a few days I will have a pretty good idea what if anything it adds. I will be listening primarily on a LPG Diana edition. I also have and Acoustic Research M2 on the way (I guess I prefer Burr - Brown DACs paired with a class A amp). Opus #1 and AK300 with Mojo will be the last of the portables in my evaluation. Time to start prepping some sd cards and give the UERR's a once over.

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #647 of 811
15082627070221174943801.jpg +1 on the LPG pairing. This combo sounds incredible. I just received this player (second hand) last week, taking a chance on it unheard (thank you head fi), and it offers everything I hoped for in sound quality/signature.

This is the best I've heard the UERR sound, though I haven't really looked at desktop setups (just go full speaker setup bypassing headphones for non mobile applications).

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #648 of 811
I have both the UERM and UERR, and while I like the counter presentation of the UERM, ultimately, I prefer the UERR. This monitor is more well rounded, slightly darker, but still very open, detailed, and offering good resolution.

I've just paid to have the connectors changed on my UERMs to the MMCX type. The website is somewhat misleading, as when you are selecting the service, it shows that the cost is $50 per side, but then when you go to your cart, the charge shows as $199 plus tax ($15). There is a way to get free overnight shipping by entering fs100 in the promo code box (the first one, as there are two). I had to enter the promo code a couple of times, as it wouldn't work right away, for whatever reason.

The $199 price was confirmed by my sales rep, Chad Geller.

Looking at the connectors of my UERMs, I can see that the connectors on the IEM bodies themselves are fractured in numerous places, so it is good timing to clean these up.

I wonder if there is a potential for any sonic advantage that the MMCX connector offers over the two pin style?

So my reasons for changing the connectors on the UERMs is cleaning up the connectors which are cracking, offering a more impervious and robust connection. And also the additional convenience of being able to have one set of monitors set up with the blue tooth cables for listening to podcasts, phone calls, etc. and another set reserved for listening to music. This way I can switch back and forth without having to swap out cables, potentially weakening the connectors over time, resulting in potential loss of monitor (becoming inadvertently detached).

It may seem a little over the top having such capable monitors (in this case the UERMs) reserved for blue tooth, non music use, but having custom fit monitors for this purpose on the go is a true revelation.

Oct 24, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #649 of 811
The UERR is really tempting now with that 30% off coupon. I did really enjoy the UERM in the past however my preferences have slightly changed since I've owned them. I do have the Andromeda which I enjoy however I do miss having customs as I once did in the past. Including the price of ear impressions, these probably come close to the massdrop deal a few months back.

In the meantime, I ordered the bluetooth cable for my Andromeda. I'm hoping they are decent or at least have a decent bluetooth connection. A bluetooth cable with good connection is something I've been looking for a while and haven't found anything yet. The Westone came close but wasn't quite there for me.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #650 of 811
I picked up my UERR from the UE headquarters a couple of weeks ago. These are my first CIEMs and I have been enjoying them very much. They have a nice analytical and musical balance. When listening to live recordings, it brings me back to the days when I was in the recording, studio double checking recordings made of live college concerts. At the same time, they are very musical and can transport me away from the everyday, especially when I am listening to an old recording that I thought I knew very well.

I also wanted to report my incredible UE customer service experience. I actually flew from Toronto to Irvine, CA to pick up my UERRs in person. I stopped in late Friday morning and after trying them on there was a small fit issue with my right ear. The iem felt like it was sticking out a little bit more on the right side than the left. Acoustically the seal was good and they sounded fine, it was mostly a fit and aesthetic issue. Mike, the man at the front desk, went into the back room and brought out Noy Soudaly (UE employee #1) to check out the fit. After looking at the IEMs he decided that they could do better. I mentioned to them that I had to catch a flight the next day at noon and he gave me a little bit of a hesitant look. I then told him I flew down from Toronto to Irvine to pick these up in person. Well that impressed him. He said that if he prints a new shell right now they might just have enough time to do it. He went to the back and out came with a guy whose name I unfortunately don't remember now. But he told him about my situation and what needed to be done, and promised me that they will have a new set for me by 8:00 am in the morning on Saturday.

So the next morning I show up and Noy shows me the new CIEMs. They are lower profile now, fit closer to my ears, and look at lot more symmetrical than they did originally. Still the right ear fits a little less well than the left and so Noy takes a look and makes a very minor change by sanding down the shell slightly. Now the fit between the left and right are very close and very good. I'm stoked. In addition, Noy gives me a tour of the facilities himself. A couple of UE t-shirts, a bunch of extra cables, and get this... He gives me the original UERRs that I tried on Friday, so now I have 2 pairs of UERRs!

UE just has won over a customer for life. The CIEMs process requires some trust on the part of the customer, especially if it their first time purchasing. UE certainly has earned this trust from me.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #651 of 811
Yes, I can also vouch for UE's customer service experience and quality. They are really exceptional and I feel confident enough to buy them and to own them for as long as I need to.

There was once when my UERM connector broke and my UERM had already ran out of warranty. I sent it to UE for repair and they repaired it for me FOC. In addition, they performed a thorough cleaning and retesting of everything. Such customer service is really top class.

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #652 of 811
I've been enjoying my new UERR now for a few weeks, and i'm really loving them. As my first customs, I don't have much to compare to, but i'm amazed at how the difference in comfort reduces my fatigue versus my universals like ER4. I'm very happy with the fit/seal. The sound quality seems superb to me, articulate and clear with great instrument separation. At work i'm listening with a Fiio e17 which seems to drive them nicely. I also use them on stage playing electric/acoustic guitar and singing, and it's such a huge improvement in tonal accuracy over the Westone 3 universals I was using before that had shrill and harsh treble to me.

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #654 of 811
Nov 24, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #655 of 811
Nov 24, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #656 of 811
You missed it by a few weeks. They had a 25% not too long ago so I doubt there will be another one this soon.

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #657 of 811
How much does weight loss influence the shape of the ear canal? I have my eyes dead set on these and also want to get the earplugs UE offers to protect my hearing at work. Wondering if I should get the UERR soon after getting the earplugs or if I should save it as a reward for myself when I reach my weight loss goal

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #658 of 811
You missed it by a few weeks. They had a 25% not too long ago so I doubt there will be another one this soon.
I would personally contact the employees/staff at UE, and hopefully they can hook you up today.
How much does weight loss influence the shape of the ear canal? I have my eyes dead set on these and also want to get the earplugs UE offers to protect my hearing at work. Wondering if I should get the UERR soon after getting the earplugs or if I should save it as a reward for myself when I reach my weight loss goal
Weight gain or loss (especially rapid) does influence the shape of the ear canal, but shouldn’t be a factor for at least several years of consistent use.

Congratulations in advance for reaching your weight loss goal!

Dec 14, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #660 of 811
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back