Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
Sep 30, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #632 of 811
Also, I just saw it mentioned the price for converting connectors as being $50 a side. For me it was $99 a side, so over $200 with tax for the conversion...
What earphones did you convert?

Sep 30, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #633 of 811
When you remove the UE's, make sure you aren't putting your finger on the connector area, just on the IEM body itself. This takes a bit of time to learn, but you won't run the risk of either weakening that area or popping a wire off. Grasp, rock and then twist.

The only IEM I've ever had fall off while it was dangling was a Shure 846 with the connectors you just got. But in general it's good practice to not let them dangle, just due to the laws of physics.

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #634 of 811
Moedawg, I converted the UERR's.

And that is good advice, 'dude. It's the only time I can recall having a monitor fall off on it's own, but I was fearing the day that it would happen. Thankfully I was in a situation where I did have a limited radius to search, without any moving parts interfering.

My connectors have gotten a little loose over time. Possibly from trying out different cables, etc. I felt like the connectors were very solid and snug at first(to the point that it was difficult to detach the cable), and this scenario would never happen when they are like that. It makes sense that with care, they could remain thus, but in this effort, I would not want to disconnect them ever, if given the choice.

I don't really have much of a 'stable' of different cables to swap out, just a couple. I think the stock cable is really good, and I'm quite pleased with it. One of the cables I tried, was the UE balanced cable. I used this with the Ibasso DX200, but with just a brief listen, found that I preferred the single ended cable in this case. Now that I've changed the connectors, I'll never really know how I feel about this combination. But sometime I'll get around to trying that cable with the UERMs (so far UE does not have a balanced cable terminated with MMCX connectors).

The main point here is that one should never let their IEMs dangle! I can attest to the fact that it is totally not worth it. This and that those with the 2 pin style UE connectors should be aware that the little 'nipple' on the iem body itself is susceptible to damage. In other words, treat them gently, and don't store them loose in your pocket like I do! This could be interpreted as user error, or carelessness, but that's just me. I tend to like to be a little more 'loosey goosey'.

Or to quote Mario Andretti, 'If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'.

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #635 of 811
15068218023941035842315.jpg Check out these beauties. My wife's pair (UERR). Notice the lack of UE logo. I wish mine were more like hers...

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #636 of 811
Sep 30, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #637 of 811
I much prefer the UE balanced cable. And I only use stock cables with my UERM. They've tuned it using that cable (whether balanced or single) and I like keeping it that way. With my JH IEMs I'm willing to play with custom cables, but not with UE. I'm currently "considering" a UE 18+ Pro and debating which way to go now that UE has a selection of "stock" cables. The gold hybrid looks nice, though getting it pushes the cost (along with wood faceplates) to just about the cost of a Zeus. Oh well, no hurry.

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #638 of 811
I much prefer the UE balanced cable. And I only use stock cables with my UERM. They've tuned it using that cable (whether balanced or single) and I like keeping it that way. With my JH IEMs I'm willing to play with custom cables, but not with UE. I'm currently "considering" a UE 18+ Pro and debating which way to go now that UE has a selection of "stock" cables. The gold hybrid looks nice, though getting it pushes the cost (along with wood faceplates) to just about the cost of a Zeus. Oh well, no hurry.

Keep in mind, gold/silver cable will change the sound of UE18+ Pro, not a huge change but noticeable. To my ears, in comparison to stock OFC cable, this gold/silver one reduces the impact of the bass and adds more sparkle to the treble, making sound more neutral, more reference, more revealing.

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #639 of 811
Exactly! :) More or less what my Moon Silver Dragon does with my Angie 1's. Olddude's old ears need a bit of help at the upper end. When I read "smooth" or "warm," I get a bit nervous about what I'll be able to hear. With the A&USP1000, there's a ton of upper-end detail, and I just don't want to lose it. My UERM's give a great presentation, I'm just curious if the 18's will give a bit more body without losing the transparency I'm so fond of in the ref monitor. Oh, that ONE IEM was perfect in every sound frequency.

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #643 of 811
Looks good and I’m digging the cable. I see that you have the UE 18. How does it compare to the old UE 10?

Thanks. System in flux. Too early for impressions and cables need time to break in...

Just barely completed portable system (UE10) and almost getting around to loading more music. Desktop system should be completed in a month (UE18+).

Only had two charges of listening with the Hugo2...

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #644 of 811
So, I'm in the market for custom iems in the near future, and I had the opportunity to demo a ton of customs. Hong Kong is awesome like that. Things I tried include UERR (obviously), UE4 pro, UE18 + pro, UM Miracle v2, UM Mason v2, Lime Ears Aether, QDC 8 driver (studio and live), EarSonics S-EM6, CA Andromeda, and a few others. My source was a demo version of the new Sony NW ZX-300 (highly recommended, by the way). I brought my own microSD card with music I'm familiar with.

To get a sense of where I'm coming from, I value naturalness and realistic portrayal of vocals/instruments above all else. Coherency and imaging are a close second (and highly related to naturalness). So, I tend to inherently prefer a very slightly darker/warmer approach to a neutral sound signature, which in my opinion, is the sound signature closest to my ideals. And it's a really delicate balance. Stray a little bit from my preferred sound signature, and it kicks me out of my immersion to the music.

For instance, I thought that the Andromeda was too bassy to be realistic, the S-EM6 waaaaaay too smooth and velvety, Miracle a tad too shrill and bright (some issues with sibilance here and there; cymbals too splashy to be lifelike).

But, the UERR. Man, these bad boys nail it. Violins, pianos, electric guitars, drums, saxophones, raw powerful vocals, refined elegant vocals, you name it. The UERR just gets it right. For my money, it's got spot on timbre and tonal accuracy for everything you throw at it. I even preferred the UERR to the UE18+ pro, despite the fact that the technicalities such as imaging, detail retrieval, and soundstage were better (marginally). I'm still not quite sure what it was, but the sound signature of the UE18+ pro wasn't quite as lifelike to me as the UERR. I intend to go demo both of these models again; this time more extensively.

Coherency was another big plus for me, and is another big factor in the realistic portrayal of music. For instance, I sometimes feel that, relative to my HD800s gigantic soundstage, the various instruments are stretched too far and too thin for me to consider the music to be lifelike. On the other hand, having the instruments sound too thick or having the soundstage be too small will lead to a wall of mushy sound. Again, its a delicate balance, and I think the UERR gets it just right. So, while the UERR only has an average soundstage size, it excels within its confines.

The only nitpick that I can think of is that its imaging can only be described as average (relative to the TOTL iems). But otherwise, I really do believe that this is the perfect iem for my needs.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I'll be joining this club soon enough, and I can't wait.

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #645 of 811
Too bad you can't still buy the UERM. Even better. For daily use the UERM shines. I think the UERR has a bit less treble and a bit more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back