Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
Aug 19, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #616 of 811
thanks...you're right, twister: there is always better...one has to know their limits.
i can always keep my FLC 8S with gray filters for when i want to rock out with more warmth.
we'll see...might go for jh 13v2 pro...undecided right now

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #619 of 811
impressions are on hold at UE as i condsider deciding between UERR or UE 18+pro...

update: i asked UE to return my impressions....might hold off for now and just enjoy what i have.
(FLC 8S and AK T8ei mkii)
BUT the custom JH 13v2 pro with that tunable bass dial does look enticing.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #620 of 811
Good luck with choice. I am not sure how much comfort plays into the decision on which model to get. I started with UE4 due to cost and recently added the UERR to my collection. When I went to test out the various models at the UE headquarters, One of the customer service guys said the UE4 is one his go to favorite models... I asked why? He said that since it only has 2 drivers - its a lighter more compact set than the higher models. Oddly enough - I now agree with him. I love my UERR - the sound quality is richer and more complete than the UE4... Maybe its psychological - but sometimes the comfort of the UE 4 is worth it. I have never tried the UE18+ but I am sure it is even larger and heavier than the UERR. So not sure how much that should play into your decision about which one to get. MY UERR fits pretty well. It took a few adjustments to get the UE4 right. But when I ordered the UERR - the guys at the lab there - took my UE4's and scanned them digitally and then made the UERR based on that scan. I thought it was pretty amazing. Just a thought as some of you consider which model to get. More drivers in the shell - may equal better sound but there will be a trade off to the weight and size.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #621 of 811
I wouldn't worry about weight with regards to the UEPRR and UE18+, as the weight difference of both is insignificant, in my experience and opinion.

Comfort will be similar/virtually the same, since both will use the same impressions/3D scans. There may be a slight difference as the final process is created by a technician - meaning the custom will not be absolutely 100% the same, but close enough for both to feel amazing in your ears.

If you have any issues, UE can make adjustments. I remember when I wanted the UEPRR's nozzle smoothed a little, they fixed it while I waited in their headquarters' lobby. Took about a couple of minutes, if that.

The biggest difference between the two CIEMs, by far, will be the sound signature.

I would sum up the difference in sound as follows:

UEPRR = more of a reference, balanced sound.
UE18+ = more of a neutral, flatter sound with more of a treble presence than the UEPRR.

Ultimate clarity = UE18+
Ultimate reference sound with a bit of bass = UEPRR

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #623 of 811
Cool... I do love My UERR - listening to them now. I wish I had the funds to add the UE11 to my collection.. for those times I want more bass! I am sure you will be pleased with your Ultimate Ears!
I love the UE lineup. The 11Pro is actually one of my favorites because of its inherent bass quality and quantity. If you haven't yet, you should give the bass beast UE Super.Fi 5 EB a spin if you can get your hands on one. My goodness gracious!

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #624 of 811
I still really enjoy my UE11's and have had them since 2007. Just sent them in for service about 3 weeks ago for the first time. Flat $99.00 fee and the UE folks do whatever is necessary to return them to brand new specs in a couple of days! :)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #625 of 811
I still really enjoy my UE11's and have had them since 2007. Just sent them in for service about 3 weeks ago for the first time. Flat $99.00 fee and the UE folks do whatever is necessary to return them to brand specs in a couple of days! :)
Very cool! Also, if interested, for $50 a side, they can turn your current connectors into MMCX! This would be especially useful if you'd like to use their Bluetooth cable.

When you get back the earphone, can you post pic(s)? Thanks in advance.

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #626 of 811
I've had them back for about 2 weeks now. :) I really don't require the MMCX connector here.

IMG_1934.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #627 of 811
Sep 30, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #629 of 811
I just had my UERR's connectors changed out to the MMCX type. There were several reasons which prompted me to do this. Firstly, I experienced some durability issues with the original connectors, where the little protruding piece from the iem itself where the cable attaches. The acrylic on that little part, on both iems, fractured and began to split. The first time this happened, I was able to get my iems repaired under warranty for no charge. This was a little less than a year ago. Again, recently, I saw that this little piece on both monitors was beginning to fracture again. I probably could have continued using them for many more months, but it was evident to me that this is the weak link in regards to the physical integrity of my iems.

I'm happy to report that this connector swap has largely been a success, and I'm very pleased with the function and sound with this setup. This connector type, at least in regards to the issues that I dealt with previously, appears to be VERY robust on the iem itself, and I do not foresee encountering this type of issue again.

A couple of concerns that I do have now though, is that this connector type appears to be much more vulnerable to sweat and contaminates in general, in regards to maintaining a proper connection. It is frustrating to be only a couple days into using this new setup to discover intermittent sound in one of the channels. This is quickly resolved using a good contact cleaner such as Caigs DeOxit though, so at least there is a fix.

Another thing too, is that I have read that the connectors on the MMCX type are vulnerable to wearing out somewhat with use. Such as when you swap cables often, as I plan to do now, which brings me to another reason why I made the switch.

I picked up a couple of the Jaybird Bluetooth cables from UE for wireless use. This is very appealing to me for use when I want to listen to audio books and podcasts on the go. Sound quality via wireless is a noticeable step down from wired listening, so I'm not really using the Jaybirds for music.

On that note, I can report that the Jaybirds, for some reason, don't work well at all with my phone. At least when using for calls, as the device repeatedly cut into my conversation to inform me that the 'device is now connected'. This happened repeatedly, and is surely a deal breaker for use with making calls. Using the Jaybird cable for making phone calls was going to be an added bonus for my intended use, but in no way near my main reason for getting them. I'm happy to report that using my ZX2 with bluetooth, the connection is very solid, with very good, clear sound (ok with music, but I'm speaking in reference to podcasts, etc.).

These are very preliminary findings, as I have only attempted one phone call with the Jaybird cable so far, and am curious to see if using it with my phone for other purposes besides phone calls will produce similar or better performance. In other words, I am curious to find out if the connectivity issues I experienced are restricted to phone calls, or if it's just a compatibility issue with my phone, etc. (Nexus 6p).

Also of note, after waiting for 10 years (!), my wife finally joined me as a CIEM user (10.5 years since first purchasing UE10s)! She has her own set of UERRs, and she is digging them. So nice to, of course enjoy the great clear sound, but the form factor of isolation, and having iems stay in your ears and not losing seal/falling out constantly. Her new set came with the MMCX connector as well, and sadly, she has experienced audio cutout from having exercised with them as well. Quickly fixed with the Caigs, so still worth it to me, but people should be aware.

Awesome customer service, too. Got some free t-shirts (soft) and some little dehumidifiers and special cleaning cloths.

Still loving my UERR's, and have actually really grown to appreciate the UERMs. Though being a seeker of new discoveries, I also hope to reach for another CIEM for variety. I'm curious to hear the A18 for instance (the reference monitor that isn't).

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #630 of 811
In regards to the MMCX connector wearing out with use, my concern is more out of losing a monitor than anything else. With the standard 2-pin UE connector, there is an issue with monitors staying attached.

I have a harrowing account of nearly losing one of my UERM monitors. Many times when wearing my iems, I will pop one out to answer a phone call, or to engage in brief conversation with someone. One day a few weeks back, I did just this. I actually took both iems out of my ears to make a phone call, and I just left them dangling from the front of my shirt (I had the cable routed under my shirt to keep the cable free from catching on stuff). At one point, I looked down, and my worst nightmare! The left monitor was missing! I had been walking around in the yard while on the phone, setting up water sprinklers for watering a lawn, and it could have been anywhere in the grass somewhere. Thankfully, I had just cut the grass, so at least the grass was not tall. It was starting to get dark, and I knew that right then was my best shot at finding the missing monitor, as the grass would grow, and I faced the real possibility of destroying it the next time the grass got cut.

I employed the help of my super bright (Armytek wizard pro) head lamp to search the lawn. I had my right side monitor in my hand, and I was tossing that one out in front of me to help give me a visual for exactly how the missing monitor would look on the ground.

Praise be, after nearly 20 minutes of frantic searching, there it was. The missing monitor was found!

Needless to say, I am much more careful now when I take my monitors out, and don't let them hang unsecured. Please, nobody repeat my lapse in judgement, ha ha.

I'm not sure what the name of the connector that JH Audio uses, but it is the most secure connection that I've encountered. It uses a threaded connection, where the two pieces iem/cable are screwed together, and would never suffer from the issue I described with my UERM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back