Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
Aug 17, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #601 of 811
well i just joined the drop....here is to my first set of custom monitors.
fingers crossed I'll dig 'em.
Congrats! Fit should be nothing less than exemplary. If not, let UE know and they will make it so the CIEM fits as perfectly as possible.

Aug 17, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #602 of 811
Congrats! Fit should be nothing less than exemplary. If not, let UE know and they will make it so the CIEM fits as perfectly as possible.

many thanks for all your support....and in fitting perfectly what things should I look for (or not like)?

btw:
.john franks of chord uses this model i believe
(see link to interview with him below))...these were just revised a yr or so ago, too.
b oth those tools are pretty balanced and realistic in their resolution, imaging etc, it seems.
http://www.headfonia.com/q-n-a-saturday-chord-electronics/2/
'''HFN: What is your personal favourite headphone? earphone? DAP?
JF: Personally, I like the Sennheiser HD800s, they pair well with Mojo, Hugo 2 and my tastes.
My favourite IEM is the Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered. ''

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #603 of 811
You should look at things like fit. For example if the ciem needs to be pushed in every few seconds instead of fitting well without needing adjustment. That's been my biggest issue with multiple ciem in the past. The other would be if you feel any pain while using it.

Aug 17, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #604 of 811
many thanks for all your support....and in fitting perfectly what things should I look for (or not like)?
Happy to help, my friend.

Make sure that you send good impressions (lots of info online, or in the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure SE846 review thread, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/723306/rev...m-sleeves-in-crystal-blue-for-the-shure-se846.

Once your CIEM arrives, when putting on and wearing, there should be no pain. UE customs generally don't go too far into the ear canal, so comfort should be nice and snug, but not painful.

There shouldn't be any sound/pressure leakage when you open and close your mouth.

Isolation should be very good, and drown out most all noise if you have music/audio playing.

Clean the nozzles with a cleaning tool so ear wax doesn't accumulate in the nozzles and affect frequency response.

Other than that, you should be good to go!

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #605 of 811
You should look at things like fit. For example if the ciem needs to be pushed in every few seconds instead of fitting well without needing adjustment. That's been my biggest issue with multiple ciem in the past. The other would be if you feel any pain while using it.
Posted just after this. Yeah, if the CIEM needs to be pushed in often, the fit is terrible. You shouldn't need to adjust the CIEM at all once you've got them in your ears.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #606 of 811
Posted just after this. Yeah, if the CIEM needs to be pushed in often, the fit is terrible. You shouldn't need to adjust the CIEM at all once you've got them in your ears.

many thanks:
one chap at UE also suggested cleaning one's ears every so often, too, to avoid debris buildup:
The best way to prevent ear wax from entering the monitors would be to regularly clean your ears.
I personally flush my ears out with hydrogen peroxide every 2-3 months, and try and clean my ears every day.

Aug 17, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #608 of 811
Then use a small straight pin. Just be sure not to push it in too far. Have the monitors bore holes facing downward while doing this so the debris falls out.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #609 of 811
just had my impressions done by jamie larson of 'vancouver custom earplugs'
https://www.vancouvercustomearplugs.com/
(he's on JH Audio's list of approved vendors for impressions).
pretty cool experience!
..he was a great guy to deal with: very professional, knowledeable but also very personable
...he shared with me some personal stories, one of which in how he was once called down to
Rogers Arena (a major music venue in Vancouver)
to do an impression on a member of one of the major boy bands, preshow..while he was doing
the impression he was realizing 'wow imagine the liability if i ever screwed this up', working so
close to his eardrum...he does alot of impressions for the pros and rockstars etc who drop in to Vancouver.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #610 of 811
just had my impressions done by jamie larson of 'vancouver custom earplugs'
https://www.vancouvercustomearplugs.com/
(he's on JH Audio's list of approved vendors for impressions).
pretty cool experience!
..he was a great guy to deal with: very professional, knowledeable but also very personable
...he shared with me some personal stories, one of which in how he was once called down to
Rogers Arena (a major music venue in Vancouver)
to do an impression on a member of one of the major boy bands, preshow..while he was doing
the impression he was realizing 'wow imagine the liability if i ever screwed this up', working so
close to his eardrum...he does alot of impressions for the pros and rockstars etc who drop in to Vancouver.
Very good to go with a knowledgeable pro who's worked with musicians!

Aug 17, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #611 of 811
I find it impossible to clean the 2 smaller bores of my UERR. They are extremely small that the supplied cleaning tool won't fit into the bores.

The best thing is to use one of these Jodi VAC consumer vacuums for hearing aid.

1964ears-1461184310-Jodi-Vac_accessories.jpg

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #614 of 811
have to ask:
or those who've listened to the pro 18+ model, aside from having more bottom end
and clarity (i guess using 6 drivers vs 3 drivers of the uerr and other tech implementations), what else makes it almost double the (massdrop) price
of the uerr?
sadly my budget just can't justify stepping up that amt (esp as a canuck in which any US price
means i have to add another 25-30% more as it is).
but many of you know how it is with any product line: you hope that you'll enjoy your mid priced product..but you're always wondering if you should have stepped up into the top tier...but the price is steep.

steve guttenberg on cnet with the UE pro18+
https://www.cnet.com/news/we-listen-to-ultimate-ears-kickass-18-pro-in-ear-headphone/
''The UE 18+ Pro also let me rock out without bothering anyone else in the room. I admire the Reference Remastered's neutral tonal balance, but the UE 18+ Pro is more of a rock & roll animal.''

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #615 of 811
have to ask:
1/ for those who've listened to the pro 18+ model, aside from having more bottom end
and clarity (i guess using 6 drivers vs 3 drivers of the uerr and other tech implementations), what else makes it almost double the price
of the uerr?
sadly my budget just can't justify stepping up that amt (esp as a canuck in which any US price
means i have to add another 25-30% more as it is).
but many of you know how it is with any product line: you hope that you'll enjoy your mid priced product..but you're always wondering if you should have stepped up into the top tier...but the price...steep.

2/also i know on the massdrop forum some were suggesting cheaper alternatives to the uerr:
Dream Earz. 1964. Inearz...one suggested specifically the UE7

UERR is $1k, UE18+ Pro i $1.5k, not exactly double the price, unless you are comparing it to MD price which is a great deal. You will be happy with UERR, it's one of those IEMs that just works with any genre, pairs up great with many sources, and just laidback and relaxed sound without any fatigue during extended listening. Regarding cheaper alternative, there are cheaper IEMs, but those are not necessary alternatives but either compromises or just differently tuned C/IEMs. You already committed to UERR, second guessing will only drive you crazy, man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back