Ultimate Ears UE PRO 18+ Discussions and Impressions
Feb 3, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #421 of 462
Hey all,

For those that tried Universal, CSX and Pro versions of UE, could you please share your experience?

I'm about to jump on UE boat and can't decide which one to get. (especially when we get Drop with Universals on sale)

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #422 of 462
I have the universal version and have almost no complaints. Sound isolation on them is amazing, best I have ever had for an IEM. My complaint is that the right one tends to slowly come out over time but they're universal so I'm not knocking them for it. Plus it also happens when I'm at the gym or working out in general.

Beyond that nitpick, I love em to death. I have the 3rd Gen and again, no complaints. Love the sound out of it without any eq adjustments but I have adjusted the eq to add a little more bass. But if I had to use them direct as is, I wouldn't mind. They're definitely in the neutral camp.

I also just received the 4.4 balanced linum superbax this week since they finally had them in stock. I tested them out without any eq adjustments, just direct from the source and I have to say they sound better. The single biggest difference is just a wider soundstage. It's still small compared to my isine 10's but there's more room for instrument seperation. The 3.5 stock cable, which is also a linum superbax, is still great and I want to say the difference is about 10% or so between them but it's more than enough for me to keep the 4.4. I have the zx300 so the balanced out is better than the standard jack anyway.

I know cables is a contested issue here but considering I adjusted the eq on the balanced jack and raised the 1k through 16k frequencies without adding any sibilance I really do think the cable made them perform better. Without any eq'ing I simply noticed much better separation between instruments and voices.

My experience and even though I'm tossing percentage out, I didn't measure with any instrument to get cold hard data. Just going by ear and how it sounds to me.

I would have bought a cheapo 4.4 cable for it but I couldn't find anything that wasn't custom made due to the IPX/T2 connections. I bought a cheap 4.4 balanced for my isine 10's and again, worth the upgrade and that one cost 50 on Amazon. So I'm not saying spend 300 for the linum version but since they made the stock cable and they're soo light I never really feel the cable once I have them on, I wanted their product specifically. It's difficult finding IPX/T2 cables and boy, did I try.

Hope I gave you enough info to chew on.

To answer the main question though, I have the universal versions, somewhat small ears, maybe mid size but definitely not large and they fit amazing. The gym sounds disappear until any pause between tracks.

Once I can financially afford it, I'll be looking into reshelling them but that's a far future notion and I'd rather save up for a new dap, if anything.

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #423 of 462
Yeah, I still have the first time buy discount, but I'm holding it. Apparently they don't do CSX outside US. Is that right?

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #424 of 462
Have you tried contacting:

https://pro.ultimateears.com/how-to-order

1.png

2.png

3.png

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #427 of 462
Mar 7, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #428 of 462
This is really tempting! Better than the 300$ first buy deal.

30% is rare. usually it's 25% sales 4-5 times a year. a few years back @ CanJam SoCal, it reached 40% discount. but 30% is more than fair. i'm waiting for the next iteration of UE Pro Reference.

The Hidition Viento is a tempting Reference substitute, but I like the UE support backed by a multi-billion dollar company in Logitech plus real 3D digital impressions; not that fake 3D scanning stuff. I baby my gear so I like the peace of mind if I need support a decade from now, there is a high-probability it can be taken care of for a $99 flat rate. Hidition I would have to visit Korea or jump through some good hoops. I also like that UE targets to Musicians/Pros and not necessarily the audiophile community.

https://crinacle.com/2019/08/05/cliffnotes-hidition-viento-when-less-is-truly-more/

I bit a few years back as I was in the market for a CIEM and UE was repairing (just check-up) my 2004 UE CIEM for the $99 flat rate. Since I was a long time customer, they offered a similar discount and to waive the $99 flat rate so I couldn't resist since I had to pickup my 2004 UE CIEM at UE HQ anyways.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #429 of 462
Yeah, I only hear amazing things about them. And, totally fair not a big presence here, this is not their target market. Keep telling everyone about comparing the presence of those companies on NAMM and CANJAM. Then you seen which ones sponsor audiophiles and which ones sponsor musicians.

Anyway, I didn't spend much time with them as I was on a rush, but remember thinking the UERRM blowing my mind with just 3 drivers, and 18+ was also really good. Don't remember trying the Live though, but I love the DD low end on my other IEMs.

Mar 7, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #430 of 462
Yup, their support is a big reason why I love my pair of 18+ Pro's. I still try to baby them as much as I can considering I wear them about 15hrs per week at the gym alone but even there I'm cognizant enough to be careful not to snag the cable and to wipe them down if I think there's too much sweat in my ear.

And I clean them.

They're a great company and in general they look and feel like they're built specifically to last. They don't feel delicate in any way. They've become my endgame pair.

Here on out I want to save up for the big boy cans and the required gear to drive something like an HD 800s.

Mar 8, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #431 of 462
Yup, their support is a big reason why I love my pair of 18+ Pro's. I still try to baby them as much as I can considering I wear them about 15hrs per week at the gym alone but even there I'm cognizant enough to be careful not to snag the cable and to wipe them down if I think there's too much sweat in my ear.

And I clean them.

They're a great company and in general they look and feel like they're built specifically to last. They don't feel delicate in any way. They've become my endgame pair.

Here on out I want to save up for the big boy cans and the required gear to drive something like an HD 800s.
Almost convincing me! Haha

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #433 of 462
Hi guys first post on this threat.
I searched and searched about a particular annoyance I'm having and this is the closest I've gotten someone writing about IPX cables.

So question:
Is is my unit defective or are IPX connectors prone to detach easily from the IEMs?

I bought the UERRs some months ago and felt the fitting between the cable and sockets were kinda loose. Didn't think it would matter anyway because i already planned for a Plussound USB cable upgrade anyway, and after they arrived the problem persisted. So, if the 2 cables have the same sort of issue, i have 2 options:
1. My UE's sockets have issues, or
2. IPX connector are meant to behave this way.

I purchased them with the sole purpose of having them as my day to day ON THE GO HIFI SETUP without any dac/amp gimmicks or whatever, and i take them off constantly for conversations and all. They have fallen a bunch of times after me taking them off.

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #434 of 462
I've had my 18+'s for almost a year now and they've never disconnected from the ipx connectors. Ever. Hit the gym ever since owning them every single time I go and have had a literal handful of times where the cable snags and my Walkman pops out or is unplugged but the ipx connections have never, even under this condition, disconnected.

You should look into the warranty and find a way to replace them.

I use the 3.5 cable that came with them and a 4.5 from linum. No issues with either one.

Good luck dude, hopefully all is fixed without paying a cent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back