Ultimate Ears UE PRO 18+ Discussions and Impressions
Jul 19, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #436 of 462
I've had my 18+'s for almost a year now and they've never disconnected from the ipx connectors. Ever. Hit the gym ever since owning them every single time I go and have had a literal handful of times where the cable snags and my Walkman pops out or is unplugged but the ipx connections have never, even under this condition, disconnected.

You should look into the warranty and find a way to replace them.

I use the 3.5 cable that came with them and a 4.5 from linum. No issues with either one.

Good luck dude, hopefully all is fixed without paying a cent.

Thanks for sharing. I was worried for a second because I'm at the point of considering re-terminating my cables to IPX. If it's loose, it's a deal breaker. Since I keep seeing the banner below, I'm starting to lean towards changing to IPX if I can order the HQ IPX connectors from Japan. Other brands may catch my attention, but in the end I think I'll re-iterate UE CIEMs going forward. In a serious entertainment sound industry environment, it's UE only. You wouldn't trust other brands for this. Other brands are fun. For me fun equates to headaches since I'm at the late stage in this hobby. I don't need exaggerations, trickery, plastic timbre and coloring. I want professional gear. Since UE's are accurate, great panning, coherent, great tone/timbre (I'm using an S+ tone/timbre, S+ technicalities cable) and correct, I can listen without fatigue for long hours. I tried to get interested in other brands for years, but nothing out there grabs my interest so IPX maybe my final optimization and build a foundation for future UE CIEMs. Hopefully, a neutral-done-right UE Reference (crossing fingers).

banner.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #437 of 462
If I do change my 2nd Gen to IPX, which cable is recommended for the gym?

ipx_options.png

I'm also considering the UE Comm option for Zoom, Skype, maybe iPhone, etc... since I have my own custom cables.

It's mandatory I choose one of these options.

ue_comm.jpg

ue_off.jpg

ue_comm1.jpg

ue.comm2.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #438 of 462
Thanks for sharing. I was worried for a second because I'm at the point of considering re-terminating my cables to IPX. If it's loose, it's a deal breaker. Since I keep seeing the banner below, I'm starting to lean towards changing to IPX if I can order the HQ IPX connectors from Japan. Other brands may catch my attention, but in the end I think I'll re-iterate UE CIEMs going forward. In a serious entertainment sound industry environment, it's UE only. You wouldn't trust other brands for this. Other brands are fun. For me fun equates to headaches since I'm at the late stage in this hobby. I don't need exaggerations, trickery, plastic timbre and coloring. I want professional gear. Since UE's are accurate, great panning, coherent, great tone/timbre (I'm using an S+ tone/timbre, S+ technicalities cable) and correct, I can listen without fatigue for long hours. I tried to get interested in other brands for years, but nothing out there grabs my interest so IPX maybe my final optimization and build a foundation for future UE CIEMs. Hopefully, a neutral-done-right UE Reference (crossing fingers).

banner.jpg

(I'm using an S+ tone/timbre,

What is that, some EQ preset from UE app?

Sep 4, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #441 of 462
Hey guys,
Does anyone knows the link/discount for bands on UE site?

I had it before, but I can't find it and it's driving me crazy.

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #442 of 462
Nov 27, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #443 of 462
I know this is late but any idea if there are sonic tweaks between the older UE versus the new To-Go version?
Any new technical differences at all besides the new connector and cable?

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #444 of 462
I know this is late but any idea if there are sonic tweaks between the older UE versus the new To-Go version?
Any new technical differences at all besides the new connector and cable?

which generation of Ue 18 are you referring to?

I don't think there are tweaks between the custom and the to-go version. Just that there's a little difference between customized fit and universal fit because of the tips used.

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #445 of 462
I'm a current Pro user, and have been since 2006 or so. I am still using the UE 10 Pro Customs from way back then.

I'm itching to upgrade, and am thinking about the UE Pro 18s - all the reviews I read state that IEMs have come a long way, essentially, since the mid 2000s. I can get a decent discount from UE, I think, as a current Pro user. I also don't think I'd enjoy the Live version as much as the 18s.

Any thoughts?

Aug 24, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #446 of 462
Any thoughts?

Is there something specific you are looking for in an upgrade, or are you just interested in getting something that sounds "better" than your UE Pro 10s? E.g. you want more top end clarity or better bass extension. If you want something "better" I think you are on the right track with the 18+. At the very least, it has more drivers (ha ha).

Also, if you know what you want to improve, I'd talk to UE customer service. They are awesome and will really be able to tell you how the sound signature will compare to your current earphones.

Sep 7, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #447 of 462
I love my UE18+ Pro's and love the Litz cable from Double Helix...

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #448 of 462
Just a reminder the UE18+ Pro 2nd Gen hit a ceiling of S- Ranking (Crinacle) [S and S- is a pretty exclusive top-tier ranking]:

Stier.png

If you prioritise precise accurate digital ear impressions (comfort), tone, accuracy, naturalness and midrange, the 2nd Gen was a great choice to have in the lineup or to run the primary point. Because of economies of scale (volume), UE is able to keep the cost low. I imagine if it was priced at $2,250-$2500 it would have drawn more interest. Because UE is part of a Billion Dollar Electronics conglomerate, they can afford to license the digital ear impressions laser device and not raise prices for the last 20 or so years. There's a reason professionals use these devices as well as UE having a awesome list of clientele. I believe but can't confirm that a Japanese site had the UE18+ 2nd Gen as the 5th most popular selling IEM ever.

bonechill.png

tonal.png

If UE can somehow innovate to his at one point ideal perfect IEM (UE18+ w/ dynamic bass) and keep costs low, it will be beneficial.

dynamic.png

Anyways, hoping product life cycle around the corner. Digital ear impressions are a deal breaker for my case. Too much possible human error with traditional ear molds to my liking.

For those whom are not aware, you can go to https://backstage.ultimateears.com to login. Maybe see, but can't guarantee, some deals like the old site. For some reason, I could never figure out how to login but it could have just been my impatience.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #449 of 462
Been gone from this thread over a year but I just found out my universal 18+ is actually 2nd gen. After digging a bit my set is missing that yellow box in them that you can see clearly in the 3rd gen. Happy camper here. These were a used set on amazon I got so it didn't come with much for verifying documents.

May 18, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #450 of 462
I wonder who is producing these True Tone BAs. I was pretty sure Sony has an patent on them since they invented them in 2008 (https://www.sony.jp/headphone/special/park/products_ba/tech1.html). And they are using these only. The IER-M9 (their all-BA flagship) for example is using 5 of them for the whole frequency range. Does anyone have more insight on these?

Because they are normally not used outside of Sony Earphones as they are very specific to implement.

1652859029443.png
1652859051010.png

1652859174227.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back