Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #2,417 of 4,383
lol I thought this was just me!

Howcome not many reviews say this? I am not sure how to describe it but I think veiled is the word, like it's lacking clarity?

Whilst it has some more details than my xba3s, it certainly isn't as clear... and I think my xba has better bass :basshead:
Yes I also agree there is more detail retrieval from the UE900s but my XBA3 is definitely more enjoyable and that veil ever so slight is not apparent in my XBA3. It may be that the rolled off high that makes the balance in the mids slightly off in the UE900s

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #2,418 of 4,383
Can't believe my luck!!!

I didn't want to post this before in case it didn't come off, but it has!

I noticed a glitch on the Logitech UE website. They were selling the UE900's for £330.00 plus delivery, total price £169.00.

So I ordered a pair quick and fingers crossed, hoped I would get away with it. I noticed they went back to £330 the day after.

I am delighted to say they shipped yesterday, at £169.00 :). I will get them Monday, so can't wait.

Not a glitch. See: http://www.head-fi.org/t/688056/ue900-price-glitch-uk-329-99-to-169-99/
Received my pair last thursday. Very happy with it for now :p

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #2,419 of 4,383

If money matters then short answer is no. Consider that Shure SE215 is $99, UE900 is $400. 
You may ask if UE900 is 4 times better ? IMO no, I will say twice better, I really don't think UE900 doesn't worth that much, same goes all other high-end IEMs,
At $1000+ price point, just get portable headphone with a good portable amp. 

And I warn you that UE900 cable will not last long, my blue cable lasted about 1 month and black one is about to die.

If you use this for traveling, you better spend money on Ultrasone Edition 8, (if you can get it for $999).

I'm actually considering them at the lowered price point in the UK,where it's currently £80ish for the SE215s and £169 for the UE900. At full price I wouldn't be considering the upgrade, but at this price they're pretty tempting. My only worry is the talk about how laid back or even veiled they are, whereas I'd ideally like something with a bit more treble energy than my SE215s, so I'm trying to gauge how people feel the high end compares.

I've been using the UE900 mic cable with my SE215s for the last 6 months now, I've had no issues whatsoever.

Originally Posted by smsmasters /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The SE215 sounds veiled at the higher frequencies and the bass is less "tight" compared to the UE900, but the SE215 has the typical prominent Shure midrange.

Thanks :) If anyone else has any experience with both pairs it would be appreciated!

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #2,420 of 4,383
For those who are interested, I just posted a detailed review with a number of pictures for Lunashops replacement UE900 cable I received today, over here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47306303&postcount=7

Bottom line, for $20 plus change these have surprisingly great built quality.  Plus, now I have an option to wear them wire up or wire down.  With wire down the fitment/seal is not as good so there will be less bass content, but with wire up I get a much better fitment with an improved seal in comparison to original cables that had memory wire.  Maybe it just me, but no matter how careful I was with shaping that memory wire, I was never able to get the perfect flush seal with my ear canal.  Now, it's just a regular soft wire that goes perfectly around my ear and I can focus more on earpiece fitment.  At least for me, I found a significant improvement in bass response with this fitment.  Plus, as owner of Galaxy Note 2 - now I have in-line remote/mic with fully functional volume up/down control!!!!!!!

As I mentioned in my review, the only comment I had about these is the choice of red wires where I would prefer to have neutral black color.  Otherwise, these are PERFECT!

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #2,423 of 4,383
  Actually, I don't think you would know if they were good performing unless you had tried some other cables.

Headphone performance is very subjective, and up to your ear perception. Based on my test comparison with two original Ultimate Ears twisted/braided pairs (blue and black ones) and using with and without E18 dac/amp while listening to 320kbps source playing Neutron MP on my Galaxy Note 2 - I found them to sound the same.  Perhaps if I would have a pair of more expensive OFC cables with a higher quality amp there would be some subtle difference, but in my test setup I found no difference.  The additional bonus was gaining volume control for my Note 2, and being able to wear wires up/down, and much better fitment with improved bass response.

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #2,424 of 4,383
That still doesn't proove they sound good. Only that they sound the same. You need some kind of reference for that to make sense otherwise you're only comparing the stock cables and wether they perform similarly. Perhaps try the Fiio cable if you wish to listen to another cable.

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #2,425 of 4,383
  That still doesn't proove they sound good. Only that they sound the same. You need some kind of reference for that to make sense otherwise you're only comparing the stock cables and wether they perform similarly. Perhaps try the Fiio cable if you wish to listen to another cable.

Well, that was exactly the point I was trying to make.  I never said they sound better.  The intent of my review was to demonstrate a cable "replacement" that will have the same sound quality and Improved functionality.  I had a lot of people commenting after my UE900 review (on xda and AF) about them wearing glasses and feeling uncomfortable wearing wires over the ear.  Plus, others had on their wish list being able to control playback/call with multi-function button AND volume control on Galaxy phones.  This cable does it all, and sound quality is as good as stock.  Btw, I asked luna guys to make custom black cable, so will post about it once I get it in a few weeks.

Regarding FiiO cable or any other cables with oxygen-free-copper (OFC) wires, I do agree there could be sound improvement due to improved conductivity of electric signal.  That will probably be noticeable with a high quality sound source and amp.  I will talk to FiiO guys, will see if I can request a review sample.  The only problem, OFC cables don't come with in-line remote/mic because it's harder to solder these wires; and also I believe FiiO cable comes with memory wire pieces which means others with glasses won't be able to wear them wire-down.

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #2,426 of 4,383
Oh sorry, I must have misunderstood you. I've been a bit lazy reading every post through. I didn't understand that you were referring to the previously mentioned cable. The Lunashop one. So I just read it as you compared the stock black and stock blue cable. Which would be pretty redundant. Then I understand your point.

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #2,427 of 4,383
hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me find some double flange tips for the ue900. I'm happy with the tips provided, but i'm curious how would they sound with long double flanges.

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #2,429 of 4,383
  For those who are interested, I just posted a detailed review with a number of pictures for Lunashops replacement UE900 cable I received today, over here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47306303&postcount=7

Bottom line, for $20 plus change these have surprisingly great built quality.  Plus, now I have an option to wear them wire up or wire down.  With wire down the fitment/seal is not as good so there will be less bass content, but with wire up I get a much better fitment with an improved seal in comparison to original cables that had memory wire.  Maybe it just me, but no matter how careful I was with shaping that memory wire, I was never able to get the perfect flush seal with my ear canal.  Now, it's just a regular soft wire that goes perfectly around my ear and I can focus more on earpiece fitment.  At least for me, I found a significant improvement in bass response with this fitment.  Plus, as owner of Galaxy Note 2 - now I have in-line remote/mic with fully functional volume up/down control!!!!!!!

As I mentioned in my review, the only comment I had about these is the choice of red wires where I would prefer to have neutral black color.  Otherwise, these are PERFECT!

Thank you so much for this review.   I found it very helpful.  I also own a Note so I was always on the lookout for a Samsung compatible cable.  Your review put me over the edge and I just bought the same cable you have.  I agree that the red color isn't ideal.  However having no memory wire, and Samsung controls would definitely out weight that small negative.  Thanks again.  Great review

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #2,430 of 4,383
I started playing with equalizer on foobar/spotify and wow, did it make a huge difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back