Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #2,221 of 4,383
The UE900 and Re0 are incredibly different.

Edit: They're not night and day but if you like to keep things away from the basshead stuff and are more used to somewhere in the middle (neutral/natural) you will find them at opposite sides, sounding vastly different (with stock tips, I've just found out that I like my Re0 with comply tips which kind of mellow out the upper range a bit for a more relaxed listening).

Stock UE900 are quite bassy, veiled mids and smooth highs. While some like that, I don't. But put small auvios on them, shove them in deep and use the airline attenuator with 2/3 blocked pinholes, oh boy are they different. If you just happen to own a C&C BH they can be really versatile. Getting almost the tonality of the Re0 but with slightly more bass, less harsh upper mids and quite similar treble (smooth but very extended). But with better separation and layering. But I like the UE900 for being quite versatile. Block pinholes, use an adapter, use the mic cable. They're quite awesome. Btw. Sorry if I'm not making any sense.

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #2,222 of 4,383
recived another replacement. same thing as before with no filter from the same batch. not sure whats going on idk if this is a bad batch or a new desighn. logitech deleted my post when i ask them about it on there facebook page and when i spoke to somebody about it before i sent my last pair they clam they coudnt find any red filter when they check online and then they said they dont have any 900 in the lab to verify. thhis the last time im buying from logitech ue

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #2,223 of 4,383
  recived another replacement. same thing as before with no filter from the same batch. not sure whats going on idk if this is a bad batch or a new desighn. logitech deleted my post when i ask them about it on there facebook page and when i spoke to somebody about it before i sent my last pair they clam they coudnt find any red filter when they check online and then they said they dont have any 900 in the lab to verify. thhis the last time im buying from logitech ue

Got a lukewarm "oh well, too bad, next person" response from logitech ue. Their customer service is certainly not something to brag about

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #2,224 of 4,383
The UE900 and Re0 are incredibly different.

Edit: They're not night and day but if you like to keep things away from the basshead stuff and are more used to somewhere in the middle (neutral/natural) you will find them at opposite sides, sounding vastly different (with stock tips, I've just found out that I like my Re0 with comply tips which kind of mellow out the upper range a bit for a more relaxed listening).

Stock UE900 are quite bassy, veiled mids and smooth highs. While some like that, I don't. But put small auvios on them, shove them in deep and use the airline attenuator with 2/3 blocked pinholes, oh boy are they different. If you just happen to own a C&C BH they can be really versatile. Getting almost the tonality of the Re0 but with slightly more bass, less harsh upper mids and quite similar treble (smooth but very extended). But with better separation and layering. But I like the UE900 for being quite versatile. Block pinholes, use an adapter, use the mic cable. They're quite awesome. Btw. Sorry if I'm not making any sense.

Which particular tips are you talking about? What's your take on the C&C BH? does it improve sound on the UE900?

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #2,225 of 4,383
Is anyone here having connection issues with the UE900 blue cable on the right side? it is an on/off thing for me... the sound get cuts off every now & then... i do use the black wire but nothing beats the convienence of having a mic on the blue... especially i notice the sound is much better compared to the black! Should i change to aftermarket cable? Or clean it? It is only 2 weeks old

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #2,226 of 4,383
Which particular tips are you talking about? What's your take on the C&C BH? does it improve sound on the UE900?

I used large double flanges on the Re0 and then MH1C hybrids (medium green ones). Tried stock small and medium silicone on UE900. Then tried comply Ts500 but settled for small auvios. My two preferred settings are about 2/3 blocked pinholes and either out of the Out2 on C&C BH or with a 100 Ohm adapter out of Out1. Out 2 is brighter and more neutral compared to Out1. UE900 out of Out2 is in my opinion a good upgrade from Re0. The soundstage is a bit strange as it is quite circular/spherical but details and small sounds can go wider, like an ellipse. But there is poor layering in between the two. Great separation inside the smaller sphere (which is bigger than the Re0 soundstage to my ears) but then there is some room mostly empty and then there's an outer layer of sound. It's hard to describe really.

I think the BH is a terrific little device with good soundstage. The bass can be a bit soft at times but a bit of impact can be gained by powering with USB. ClieOS has reviewed it in his sub $100 amp comparison. There is also a dedicated thread for it with quite a few impressions. The one thing is susceptibility to EMI. Not having 3G/LTE coverage can result in significant and actually hurtful noise.(With sensitive iems.) But I like it anyway. I just separate my phone and BH with a Sabre DAC and an interconnect. No problem as long as you have good reception. But it's definitely enjoyable and it gives the Re0 a better soundstage making it less "in your head". And as I've said before somewhere. If you have the UE900 and like a neutral and extended sound, the BH is really worth the money.

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #2,227 of 4,383
Can you suggest a good DAP with good portability, capacity, synergy and power for the UE900? My iphone is always kranked to almost 80%-90% and I feel that the iphone is working hard to power these.

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #2,228 of 4,383
Wow I only need to go to 1/3 the total volume of my phone with these for normal listening and 1/2 volume for loud listening! Is your phone set to EU sound restrictions?

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #2,229 of 4,383
Ok, I was using BBE Sonic Max Pro, and even without settings there is not a lot of sound coming out. I've tested it with the ios music player and a bit above 1/2 volume, it's pretty loud, yes. Sorry you are right. I'm still searching for a DAP with good capacity that use sd cards in good synergy with the UE900.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #2,230 of 4,383
I used my RE-0s with my iphone 5, using my fallback shure 110s now, but i have the volume around 60-70% most of the time with either. Is that too high? how do people actually tell the volume they're listening to in dB?

I have the EU limit thing disabled and I've just started using the Denon Audio app so I can faff with the EQ a bit (the shures need it).

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #2,231 of 4,383
  I used my RE-0s with my iphone 5, using my fallback shure 110s now, but i have the volume around 60-70% most of the time with either. Is that too high? how do people actually tell the volume they're listening to in dB?

I have the EU limit thing disabled and I've just started using the Denon Audio app so I can faff with the EQ a bit (the shures need it).

I think that some iems like Re0 have sort of an in-built volume limiter. The treble will tear you apart if you play it too loud. If it doesn't you may very well have less sensitive hearing or some kind of damage. Anyway. What someone finds comfortable might be hurtful to some. On the ENT course we were casually told when comparing audiograms that the threshold for considering something a loss of hearing starts around 20dB. There is at least fully healthy people who have a hearing that is 10dB less sensitive than the mean sensitivity. And as with most medical things, there are people on the other side, who are 10dB more sensitive than the mean value. So someone with a +10dB sensitive hearing and someone with a -20dB light hearing loss would be 30dB different. (In threshold for audible sound at least.) I don't know if that actually explains something, Maybe it just made you more confused and wondering but that's how I roll.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #2,232 of 4,383
What kinda of iPhone iPod do you use g power? On my 4th Gen iPod touch anything over 55 percent was to loud however on my iPod touch 3g I have to turn it up to about 75percent for it to sound good. My phone about 65 percent maybe 70 depending on my mood, song, ect..

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #2,233 of 4,383
  Has anyone had issues with comply foam tip sizing/models for these? I have 6 pairs of the s500s that stay in my ears whenever I take my UE900s out... not good when you have to fish them out of your ears when someone wants to talk to you! 

Comply customer services have been good about it though, trying to to work out what the issue is and offering to send out a set of the smaller s400s...

Never had a problem with comply tips and UE 900.  Only problem is that now that I got a HD 650 since I wanted a full sized headphone, I haven't used these in a week.  I work from home and do not use any portable devices for music listening so I might put them up on ebay as I've caught the full sized headphone bug.  I wish had these 25 years ago in the walkman/cd walkman days when  I was in college and almost all of my music listening  back then was on a portable device.  

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #2,234 of 4,383
  Has anyone had issues with comply foam tip sizing/models for these? I have 6 pairs of the s500s that stay in my ears whenever I take my UE900s out... not good when you have to fish them out of your ears when someone wants to talk to you! 

Comply customer services have been good about it though, trying to to work out what the issue is and offering to send out a set of the smaller s400s...

I've noticed that my pair have different sized rings on the nozzles. The left side has a way bigger ring than the right side. Something I wouldn't really expect on a pair of iems that retail for $400. Anyway. On one side the included comply tips fit perfectly, quite easy to apply and doesn't stick in the ear. On the other side it's a struggle to get it to fit. Just throwing it out there. Hopefully the 400's fit better.

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #2,235 of 4,383
Today, I would like to say rip to my ue900, it was unfortunately ran over by my car, I was searching everywhere for it, but it ended up on the pavement of my drive way RIP 9/12/13 UE900 I'm in tears ;(......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back