Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #2,207 of 4,383
Has anyone had issues with comply foam tip sizing/models for these? I have 6 pairs of the s500s that stay in my ears whenever I take my UE900s out... not good when you have to fish them out of your ears when someone wants to talk to you! 

Comply customer services have been good about it though, trying to to work out what the issue is and offering to send out a set of the smaller s400s...

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #2,208 of 4,383
Double sided tape, clear nail polish, or even some plastic threadlocker?  But of course try the S400 first.

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #2,209 of 4,383
I'm considering getting a pair of these to replace my RE-0s rather than go like for like with the RE-400. Would they need amping if the source was an iphone 5? I have other sources and a fiio E7, but haven't got it working right with the iphone 5 which i tend to use on my commute and in the office (open plan, can't have anything left out on my desk).

jayaudio116, is that offer only in the US do you happen to know?

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #2,210 of 4,383
No, the UE900 was designed for iPod/iPhone and it is already pretty good straight from them.

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #2,211 of 4,383
I'm considering getting a pair of these to replace my RE-0s rather than go like for like with the RE-400. Would they need amping if the source was an iphone 5? I have other sources and a fiio E7, but haven't got it working right with the iphone 5 which i tend to use on my commute and in the office (open plan, can't have anything left out on my desk).

jayaudio116, is that offer only in the US do you happen to know?

An amp does not improve their potential by much

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #2,212 of 4,383
sounds good. all i've got to do now is see if i can find them any cheaper than retail :)

I have comply s400 tips, i'd wanted them a while and struggled to find them, but found them in the headphone/gadget shop in DFW airport on my way home, so I might give them a try. I think i prefer the soft silicone tips though, my favourites on the RE-0 were the double-flanged soft tips.

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #2,213 of 4,383
sounds good. all i've got to do now is see if i can find them any cheaper than retail :)

I have comply s400 tips, i'd wanted them a while and struggled to find them, but found them in the headphone/gadget shop in DFW airport on my way home, so I might give them a try. I think i prefer the soft silicone tips though, my favourites on the RE-0 were the double-flanged soft tips.
the UE900s are a different sound to the re0s and the re400s so be prepared

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #2,214 of 4,383
I expect them to be different, but from what I've read they're both in the same sort of direction (neutrality/flatness) rather than being noted for emphasizing bass or treble heavily?

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #2,215 of 4,383
  I expect them to be different, but from what I've read they're both in the same sort of direction (neutrality/flatness) rather than being noted for emphasizing bass or treble heavily?

The mids on the RE400s and the RE0s are quite a bit more forward IMO than the UE900s which is a quite laid back. The bass is more fuller on the UE900s and the highs more extended. The UE900 is warmer than the RE400 which is warmer than the RE0s. From memory I enjoyed my music a lot more from the RE0s which is the reason why I bought the RE400s and now use a lot more than the UE900s.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #2,216 of 4,383
see, now i'm torn between my love of warmth and my love of accuracy/neutrality.

I am trying to get my RE-0s fixed so it'd be good to see the difference, but then comparing some 4 year old $100 IEMs with some year old $400 probably isn't the best example.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #2,217 of 4,383
My RE0s broke and I threw them away. I had cable issues and the housing broke apart after about 8 months many years ago. I didn't bother with warranty which I should have done. I miss the RE0s the most out of all my phones and wish I had them again.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #2,218 of 4,383
the cables gone at the jack end on mine. I'll try replacing it and failing that attempt a full re-cable, but this is the only issue I've had with them since i got them, i think that was back in '08. They've been my daily commute/office 'phones for that whole period, and i've not kept them in a case or anything, pretty certain the current issue is down to the way i wrap the cable up when i throw them in my bag.

I've read they have build quality issues, but i've never had any iems/buds go that long without issue. My old vmoda vibes lasted about 18 months, and the super.fi 3s I had before them came apart at the Y piece after just over a year. ER6i I had the right driver went after 9 months, but shipping for the warranty wasn't particularly cost effective so i didn't get them fixed.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #2,219 of 4,383
My Superfi3s were dropped on a train, I enjoyed their neutrality and also miss them. Seems for you the worse you treat them the longer it lasts. My RE400s started to go at the jack after 3 months and that's me babying them. Another neutral phone is the UE700s with a similar sound to the Superfi3s

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #2,220 of 4,383
my super.fi 3s still work :) when the cable frayed away at the Y join quite badly, i tried to fix them but the sleeve on the cable appears to be flexible and looks like it was stretched when they were intact. I could stretch it back to the Y join but it would retract an inch from it if it wasn't under stress.

So i stuck a lump of sugru over and around it to keep everything held together intact, and it worked fine :) sure it's unsightly and makes them bulkier to carry, but the sugru doesn't weight very much, and i even pressed a jack into it and when i wrap them up the jack now plugs into the sugru to keep them from unravelling.

and yeah, i should just get a replacement cable, but i've moved on now :) My appreciation of them made me want triple.fi 10s, and as they're gone and the Ue 900 appears to be somewhat of a successor i figured i'd give them some consideration. I can't see the UE 700s for sale though, like they're discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back