Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #2,027 of 4,383
I decided to pinhole mod my UE 900. I quite like it - the bass bump affecting the midrange is gone. Much tighter sound, but some will find the bass lacking. It´s odd they were designed this way - there´s no way at all the pinhole will hold up forever in normal use. Eventually all UE 900´s will become "pinhole modded".

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #2,028 of 4,383
Quote:
I decided to pinhole mod my UE 900. I quite like it - the bass bump affecting the midrange is gone. Much tighter sound, but some will find the bass lacking. It´s odd they were designed this way - there´s no way at all the pinhole will hold up forever in normal use. Eventually all UE 900´s will become "pinhole modded".

Unless you're one that cleans their ears nightly, hourly, by the minute, etc...  But yes, it's inevitable that your pinhole will be modded eventually. 

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #2,029 of 4,383
I often wonder if the pinhole was designed like this with the sole purpose of gently "guiding" new users of this type of earpiece into the end sound signature through the gradual change in the bass.

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #2,032 of 4,383
A detailed, step-by-step guide on how to do the pinhole mod would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

step 1 - insert finger into ear and find earwax.
step 2 - spread earwax over pinhole.

:wink: :wink:

or you could let nature just take it's course LOL

Alternatively I think you could also use a small piece of blutak or if you have the patience and dexterity take a very small piece of tape and cover the pinhole.

I believe Tinyman shows pictures of the pinhole and describes covering it very early in the posts of this thread.

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #2,033 of 4,383
Quote:

wink.gif
wink.gif

Alternatively I think you could also use a small piece of blutak or if you have the patience and dexterity take a very small piece of tape and cover the pinhole.

I believe Tinyman shows pictures of the pinhole and describes covering it very early in the posts of this thread.

That's nasty!  Use a pin or a small piece of tape :p  LOL.  But yes, I stole the picture from Rin, I may eventually take my own once my new camera comes in :wink:

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #2,034 of 4,383
Actually I used a strong superglue. Dropped a tiny amount directly into the pinhole area. You have to be very careful so it doesn´t go in the main bore. Can´t be reversed, sure, but I wanted to avoid getting bass imbalance due to one pinhole opening a bit due to wax/moisture :)

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #2,035 of 4,383
Quote:

wink.gif
wink.gif

Hey, thanks! Do you think it matters what you use to block the pinhole bore? For example, does a thin piece of tape have less effect than a ball of blutack?

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #2,036 of 4,383
The pinhole is so small I don't think it will matter. The blutack will be easier to apply and remove though so might be your best bet.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #2,038 of 4,383
Quote:
just got my ue 900s is there any way to make them more comfier, the shell hurts my ears a little

Use Comply Foam Tips.  If the default round ones won't work, then go get the long ones from their site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back