Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #2,011 of 4,383
Jun 12, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #2,015 of 4,383
Quote:
how much looser is a pre curve than a memory wire?

That's a good question.  The thing with a pre-curve is that it relies on the use of a memory effect (of a cable) if I'm not mistaken, so it might be a bit harder to reshape which the memory wire can do.

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #2,017 of 4,383
Quote:
I'm unsure on this but my UE 700's, after wrapping them round my ear for the last two years have developed a permanent kink. Is this memory wire?

No, it's the memory effect of a cable.  A memory wire is actually a thin piece of metal (like a paper clip) on the outside of the cable with a plastic sheath around it.

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #2,018 of 4,383
Quote:

No, it's the memory effect of a cable.  A memory wire is actually a thin piece of metal (like a paper clip) on the outside of the cable with a plastic sheath around it.

Right, getcha. I've never experienced that before with any of my headphones or earphones. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I'd be interested in finding a set in a shop and testing it out.

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #2,019 of 4,383
Has anyone experienced, with the blue UE 900 microphone cable, random changes in music volume followed by the microphone not working? This has happened to me a few times now and the problems have always gone away after letting them sit for a few hours.

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #2,020 of 4,383
Quote:
Right, getcha. I've never experienced that before with any of my headphones or earphones. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I'd be interested in finding a set in a shop and testing it out.

All cables will eventually have the memory effect happen to them, it's just the way they are.  It happens with use and there is nothing you can really do about it.

Quote:
Has anyone experienced, with the blue UE 900 microphone cable, random changes in music volume followed by the microphone not working? This has happened to me a few times now and the problems have always gone away after letting them sit for a few hours.

I have not.  It's possible you have a defective cable, or defective source.  What source are you using?  Or it could be something else.  I know with my Etymotic HF2, it does fine out of my iPod Touch 4G, but has this issue with my 5G Touch.

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #2,021 of 4,383

This is exactly what is used on the UE900's. I got so sick of the memory wire on these cables that i took it apart, and under the clear see thru sheath is a black (or blue) paper clip type thing. FYI its very easy to remove if anyones interested. Cable feels so much more comfortable without it

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #2,022 of 4,383
Quote:

This is exactly what is used on the UE900's. I got so sick of the memory wire on these cables that i took it apart, and under the clear see thru sheath is a black (or blue) paper clip type thing. FYI its very easy to remove if anyones interested. Cable feels so much more comfortable without it

Logitech uses a softer plastic.  Westone and the UE customs all use harder (thinner) plastic, but are the same type of memory wire (use a paper clip).  From memory, I think the MEE M6 uses the same too.

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #2,023 of 4,383
I've never really understood the need for memory wire.  After all it's got to go behind the ear anyway hasn't it?

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2,024 of 4,383
Quote:
I've never really understood the need for memory wire.  After all it's got to go behind the ear anyway hasn't it?

One of the things I really appreciate with my IE8/80's is that the guides are optional - I have no problem wearing them up without guides or memory wire... 

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #2,025 of 4,383
Quote:

Some cables tend to not be flexible enough to go over the ear.  Other times, the cable zig-zags around the ear never really "resting" in one area.  I've had those issues before wearing over the ear.  Other times, an artist or singer wants the cable guided exactly through this area.  Sometimes, they are used to improve fit (Aurisonics' used the memory wire to get a proper fit with the 1.0-1.2 ASG series.  Without it, the "nub" would cause sore ears).  There are reasons why musicians use memory wires, it keeps the IEM a little more stable while doing things. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back