Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
May 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #1,981 of 4,383
Oh really..ya I'd like to try that..for thirty bucks why not..I like really good treble yes..but the bass must be rite too..with the etys the bass is there..its just controlled and very fast..it's not all over the place like alot of stuff out there that's for sure..and once you listen to them for a while your brain gets use to it and there is lots..specially with a good amp...thanks for the advice..:)
The B's have even more treble.  If you want to try something with that type of treble quantity, but still have an Etymotic sound, the Etymotic EtyKids may be worth a quick listen.  They're 30 bucks, so it is worth a try :wink:  You won't get the resolution you would with an ER4, but it'll give you an idea of what the basic signature would be like.  Beware that with the EtyKids, they only go up to 88 dB unless you amp them with an iPod :p

May 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #1,982 of 4,383
Quote:
Oh really..ya I'd like to try that..for thirty bucks why not..I like really good treble yes..but the bass must be rite too..with the etys the bass is there..its just controlled and very fast..it's not all over the place like alot of stuff out there that's for sure..and once you listen to them for a while your brain gets use to it and there is lots..specially with a good amp...thanks for the advice..
smily_headphones1.gif

Bass is a little softer with the EtyKids than with my HF5.  I haven't heard the ER4s, I want to though :wink:  I haven't heard of too many neutral IEMs above 300 bucks outside the Etys.  There are a lot that claim to be, but aren't close.  The 4.Ai would be my largest example, it's no where near neutral, yet everyone claims it was... 

May 29, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #1,983 of 4,383
Bass is a little softer with the EtyKids than with my HF5.  I haven't heard the ER4s, I want to though :wink:  I haven't heard of too many neutral IEMs above 300 bucks outside the Etys.  There are a lot that claim to be, but aren't close.  The 4.Ai would be my largest example, it's no where near neutral, yet everyone claims it was... 
I agree but once you move the 4k on the eq up a couple notches it comes pretty close I think..and the er4s are very close.. I don't think anything is rite on the money.

May 31, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #1,985 of 4,383
Some like the TF10 better, some like the UE900 better. I haven't heard both, but I think I wouldn't like the TF10 as much from the descriptions I've read. The UE900 does extremely well on the technical end, had mids which are right where I think they should be (not too forward, but not recessed), and has well-extended bass (but not over-accentuated). I'd imagine the TF10 has more of a V-shape to it. This is just my guess though based on what I've read of the two. I do own the UE900 as least. I'm sure someone who has heard both will chime in. Gilly discussed the two a bit noting that he liked the TF10 better because it was more "lush."

Yeah dude, I just couldn't stand how dry it was...presentation was awesome, driver speed was respectable; everything was there except it just didn't sound live and full, which is my #1 criteria. I'm glad I gave them a shot, but tbh more than anything they made me wish I still had a pair of TF10s XD The TF10 did a lot better in the lush department; the vocals were a bit recessed, but they were sufficiently detailed and warmed up enough by the bass to be pretty satisfying when the recording really called for it. No good for my indie rock and oldies though...

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #1,986 of 4,383
Just got my new (bought used, but in perfect condition) UE9 00! I´ve always enjoyed the UE sound signature, but the build quality on the UE 700 I had was just horrible. It broke down in a week or two - the cable couldn´t hold up. The actual IEM itself felt like cheap plastic too. SQ wise it was very good for the price though! Balanced and neutral, but not too neutral making less than perfect albums still sound pretty good. With a new owner with a great distribution network and mass production capabilities, what could go wrong with the UE900? Surely Logitech would fix all the previous issues with build quality, get tons of positive reviews and make sure it´ll be sold at every Walmart & co out there thanks to their fantastic distribution network.

So here it is, the new UE 900. I´ve never tried the TF10, mostly because it has received so much flak for its ergonomics. No similar issue here: the fit is fantastic, sound isolation is good and overall they feel like comfortable earbuds. The cable is superb as well. Zero microphonics, looks good, feels strong. And thanks to Logitech you can get new ones at 20 euros. The sound quality is pretty nice too: just like the UE 700, it´s neutral but not too neutral to make mainstream records sound bad. The bass goes deep, highs extend nicely (although I would prefer a little less highs roll off), separation is superb, soundstage is decent but not outstanding like on the SM64 and EX-1000. Resolution is very high, which is something I really enjoy with these: try Michael Jacksons She´s Going Hollywood on these and behold how accurately you can hear every detail of the late kings beatboxing. Sure, you won´t find lushness here so fans of the Shure signature can look the other way, but the somewhat dry midrange is all about resolution. Overall the UE 900 is a very safe sound signature which above all goes for resolution and refinement at the cost of lushness and the fun factor of far from neutral IEMs like Shure 215 and so forth. They´ll find their place in the market and become a bestseller that´ll stay in the market for a very long time.

There´s just one "small" problem... Behold what happened the second day of me using my new shiny UE 900:

Good to see build quality is still high on the agenda with UE! Perhaps they view it as part of their artisan spirit, so to speak. I got lucky as you can see in the picture the actual sound cable inside the IEM is completely unharmed so they still work perfectly. All I needed to do is buy some good superglue (ie, something Logitech doesn´t deem necessary) and glue it back up. Now it´s fixed and I bet a lot stronger than it ever was when it came from the Logitech factory! I´ll looking forward to having the left side IEM shell come off someday, then I´ll fix that too. Before that I´m going to be a bit proactive and put some superglue in the plastic cracks. With some luck that little reinforcement might already help.

So my advice to UE 900 owners is: be prepared. As you can see in the picture every time you pull your UE 900 out of your ear, chances are you´ll grab the connector with the "R" sign or the black faceplate. You know what´s going to happen eventually :) I have to say this design is pretty puzzling to me: why include the connector on the faceplate part? It´s like they are asking for trouble placing  the main "things to grab" parts in a glued together small piece of plastic. Coupled with the cheap glue (as you can see in the picture absolutely no plastic has been melted by the original glue so you can guess how many UE 900´s will break this way in the future) the design is simply asking for trouble. Especially as these are inserted pretty deeply so the black plastic parts are the first thing you´ll grab when you take these out.

So all in all, based on sound quality alone, these are very competitive in the market, but due to the cheap build and the inevitable price cuts, my advice would be to stay away from these until you can buy them for around 250 euros or so. At this price range there are better options out there, with competitive sound plus the added benefit of far, far far superior build quality. Apparently the In Ear StageDiver 2 for example sounds quite similar (neutral), sells for 75 euros less and has build quality from another planet compared to these.

EDIT:

PS: There are some issues with the cable 3.5mm connectors as well. On my new black audio cable the sound stopped every now and then when I moved the jack around; after rolling it around 360 degrees for a few minutes etc it started working fine. There might be a coating affecting the connectivity. The blue cable that had already been used worked fine though, supporting this theory. Oh and the new IEM connectors have issues too from what I´ve read on this thread; luckily I haven´t experienced those at all.

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #1,987 of 4,383
I'm deciding between these and the Westone 4R, but the Westone is £50 UK more than the UE 900. Is it really worth the extra money?
Also, I have to also consider that only the UE is sold by amazon and so the UE has the best ease of access warranty. 

Sonically, the only thing I'd need to consider is that I'm fairly sensitive to sibilance. Aside from that I'd be looking for a slightly warm presentation.

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #1,988 of 4,383
Neither have sibilance, so you are good there. Their presentations are significantly different, so you might want to give both a listen if at all possible. 

The build issue up there is frustrating, but at least it can be fixed with some good glue application.

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #1,989 of 4,383
Quote:
My android based Shure cable arrived today and works like a charm with my Nokia 920. Like the UE900 iPhone cable this cable does change up the signature making the IEM a bit darker and not as airy but the benefits of the MIC and button will likely keep me from going back to straight cable.

Hi, I do have the same issue here : have an HTC ONE android phone for a month now and the iOs cable is only working to skip a track and pause it. 

Can you point me at which shure cable you are talking about. 

Been searching on amazon and different references came out. 

Plus they are a lot of negative comments on the build quality and compatibilty on those I found. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #1,990 of 4,383
I got my cable off eBay. The Shure cable is a bit long and heavy plus it reduces the treble a bit but otherwise works well.

I ended up using the black cable most of the time and living with no button, at least with that configuration I could flip my phone over and talk to someone.

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #1,992 of 4,383
Quote:
Just got my new (bought used, but in perfect condition) UE9 00! I´ve always enjoyed the UE sound signature, but the build quality on the UE 700 I had was just horrible. It broke down in a week or two - the cable couldn´t hold up. The actual IEM itself felt like cheap plastic too. SQ wise it was very good for the price though! Balanced and neutral, but not too neutral making less than perfect albums still sound pretty good. With a new owner with a great distribution network and mass production capabilities, what could go wrong with the UE900? Surely Logitech would fix all the previous issues with build quality, get tons of positive reviews and make sure it´ll be sold at every Walmart & co out there thanks to their fantastic distribution network.

So here it is, the new UE 900. I´ve never tried the TF10, mostly because it has received so much flak for its ergonomics. No similar issue here: the fit is fantastic, sound isolation is good and overall they feel like comfortable earbuds. The cable is superb as well. Zero microphonics, looks good, feels strong. And thanks to Logitech you can get new ones at 20 euros. The sound quality is pretty nice too: just like the UE 700, it´s neutral but not too neutral to make mainstream records sound bad. The bass goes deep, highs extend nicely (although I would prefer a little less highs roll off), separation is superb, soundstage is decent but not outstanding like on the SM64 and EX-1000. Resolution is very high, which is something I really enjoy with these: try Michael Jacksons She´s Going Hollywood on these and behold how accurately you can hear every detail of the late kings beatboxing. Sure, you won´t find lushness here so fans of the Shure signature can look the other way, but the somewhat dry midrange is all about resolution. Overall the UE 900 is a very safe sound signature which above all goes for resolution and refinement at the cost of lushness and the fun factor of far from neutral IEMs like Shure 215 and so forth. They´ll find their place in the market and become a bestseller that´ll stay in the market for a very long time.

There´s just one "small" problem... Behold what happened the second day of me using my new shiny UE 900:

Good to see build quality is still high on the agenda with UE! Perhaps they view it as part of their artisan spirit, so to speak. I got lucky as you can see in the picture the actual sound cable inside the IEM is completely unharmed so they still work perfectly. All I needed to do is buy some good superglue (ie, something Logitech doesn´t deem necessary) and glue it back up. Now it´s fixed and I bet a lot stronger than it ever was when it came from the Logitech factory! I´ll looking forward to having the left side IEM shell come off someday, then I´ll fix that too. Before that I´m going to be a bit proactive and put some superglue in the plastic cracks. With some luck that little reinforcement might already help.

So my advice to UE 900 owners is: be prepared. As you can see in the picture every time you pull your UE 900 out of your ear, chances are you´ll grab the connector with the "R" sign or the black faceplate. You know what´s going to happen eventually :) I have to say this design is pretty puzzling to me: why include the connector on the faceplate part? It´s like they are asking for trouble placing  the main "things to grab" parts in a glued together small piece of plastic. Coupled with the cheap glue (as you can see in the picture absolutely no plastic has been melted by the original glue so you can guess how many UE 900´s will break this way in the future) the design is simply asking for trouble. Especially as these are inserted pretty deeply so the black plastic parts are the first thing you´ll grab when you take these out.

So all in all, based on sound quality alone, these are very competitive in the market, but due to the cheap build and the inevitable price cuts, my advice would be to stay away from these until you can buy them for around 250 euros or so. At this price range there are better options out there, with competitive sound plus the added benefit of far, far far superior build quality. Apparently the In Ear StageDiver 2 for example sounds quite similar (neutral), sells for 75 euros less and has build quality from another planet compared to these.

EDIT:

PS: There are some issues with the cable 3.5mm connectors as well. On my new black audio cable the sound stopped every now and then when I moved the jack around; after rolling it around 360 degrees for a few minutes etc it started working fine. There might be a coating affecting the connectivity. The blue cable that had already been used worked fine though, supporting this theory. Oh and the new IEM connectors have issues too from what I´ve read on this thread; luckily I haven´t experienced those at all.

Might as well get them made into customs

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #1,994 of 4,383
Just received these and have been using them all day. Quite a refreshing change from the IE8s I used to have. That being said, this memory coil around the wire is driving me insane. Recommendation for obtaining a cable that has no memory plastic at the top?

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #1,995 of 4,383
Quote:
Just received these and have been using them all day. Quite a refreshing change from the IE8s I used to have. That being said, this memory coil around the wire is driving me insane. Recommendation for obtaining a cable that has no memory plastic at the top?

There was a thread that had instructions on how to remove it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back