Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
May 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #1,951 of 4,383
Quote:
The mod is explained in the quote. I'm quite skeptical that it was an intended design. If so why wouldn't they just cover the bore themselves? Or just remove the bore?

Well, then you have a lot of explaining to do with the coincidental neutralness of the bore being completely covered...  That is just too large of a coincidence for me :p  That's all I'm saying.  I don't know if it was intended or not, if not, that's a huge coincidence that it just turns out to turn neutral with wide extension.  

There is also the third possibility, it originally was intended to be completely neutral.  Then somewhere towards the later stages of development decided that they wanted more bass response or even to make it so that the IEM is less fatiguing.  Add in the bass bore to allow more warmth in. 

The possibilities are limitless.  IDK if the bore being filled was part of the initial design.  I have doubts like you do, but the coincidence seems too large for chance.

May 20, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #1,957 of 4,383
Hey all,
I recently lost my Westone 4's and am on the hunt for a new IEM. 
I found a pair of UE 900's for about 1800 RMB in Shanghai. That's about 292 USD. I'm really tempted to buy them since I'm on vacation in China right now. The store is also pretty legit since my cousin recommended it and purchased a $500 headset there before. Regardless, I still feel apprehensive buying electronics in China. Are there records of fake UE 900's?  The box is in Chinese. Is there anyone that would advise against me purchasing a pair here? The price is lower than any I can find in the US.  

On another topic, how do most people feel about the UE 900's as compared to the W4's? I owned them for about 2 years and am super used to its sound. I'm looking for a similar level IEM that is a bit more "fun" to listen to.  The W4's were awesome but nothing really stuck out after a while. 

May 20, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #1,958 of 4,383
I'd say they are on the same level, but the W4 is a little bit more flat to my ears (at least with the pinhole unfilled in the UE900). The UE900 has awesomely extended bass. You might find the treble to need a bit more sparkle, but I like it as it is non-fatiguing (I feel the same about the W4). Overall, I think the UE900 is an alternative to the W4 which has more PRaT which is truly a great thing! It just has something fun about it while still staying relatively flat... to my ears at least.

May 23, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #1,960 of 4,383
Hey all,
I recently lost my Westone 4's and am on the hunt for a new IEM. 
I found a pair of UE 900's for about 1800 RMB in Shanghai. That's about 292 USD. I'm really tempted to buy them since I'm on vacation in China right now. The store is also pretty legit since my cousin recommended it and purchased a $500 headset there before. Regardless, I still feel apprehensive buying electronics in China. Are there records of fake UE 900's?  The box is in Chinese. Is there anyone that would advise against me purchasing a pair here? The price is lower than any I can find in the US.  

On another topic, how do most people feel about the UE 900's as compared to the W4's? I owned them for about 2 years and am super used to its sound. I'm looking for a similar level IEM that is a bit more "fun" to listen to.  The W4's were awesome but nothing really stuck out after a while. 

You can reference prices listed on Taobao here, you can see the price varies a bit. Taobao is just like Yahoo Shopping and is the largest online shopping store in China, but I am not saying that you cannot run into unscrupulous sellers just like other online setup. Standard price is RMB2,999.

A picture of the box here but I doubt it would help you I'm afraid: http://img2.zol.com.cn/product/101/145/ce9ttsc9uq0dE.jpg

May 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #1,961 of 4,383
To revive a little love for these guys:

I just got Gilly's pair in the mail and I'm more than blown away. I'm 10 songs into my "New Headphone Mix" and out of those 10 songs, the 900s have revealed things in 7 of them that I've never heard. There is so much separation and detail that I can't wait to dig into some old songs to see what I've been missing out on.

River of Dreams just came on and the percussion behind the band is just earcandy! Logitech has really hit a home run with the UE900s.

May 28, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #1,962 of 4,383
Nice! I just put mine in today for the first time in more than a week. I've been listening to the HD650 and LCD-2 exclusively to compare them for the last week. These UE900's don't really give anything up to them other than the sense of space given by the big cans. 

May 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #1,963 of 4,383
Still love mine too :). This thread gets more of the complaints about shorts than love about the sound. Not that the QC issues are not valid though as nobody likes that type of issue...

May 28, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #1,964 of 4,383
Quote:
Still love mine too
smily_headphones1.gif
. This thread gets more of the complaints about shorts than love about the sound. Not that the QC issues are not valid though as nobody likes that type of issue...

Yeah, it'll be a little while before QC issues are fully under control I guess.  At least we let the people criticize the UE 900 unlike some other threads that silence and attack you :p

I adore the UE 900 for their strengths, but their weaknesses can be turn-offs :frowning2:  Darn you lushness, come in!  Me wanty lushness, me wanty lushness!  :p 

May 28, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #1,965 of 4,383
Yeah dude, I just couldn't stand how dry it was...presentation was awesome, driver speed was respectable; everything was there except it just didn't sound live and full, which is my #1 criteria. I'm glad I gave them a shot, but tbh more than anything they made me wish I still had a pair of TF10s XD The TF10 did a lot better in the lush department; the vocals were a bit recessed, but they were sufficiently detailed and warmed up enough by the bass to be pretty satisfying when the recording really called for it. No good for my indie rock and oldies though...
Quote:

Yeah, it'll be a little while before QC issues are fully under control I guess.  At least we let the people criticize the UE 900 unlike some other threads that silence and attack you :p

I adore the UE 900 for their strengths, but their weaknesses can be turn-offs :frowning2:  Darn you lushness, come in!  Me wanty lushness, me wanty lushness!  :p 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back