Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #1,426 of 4,383
At $150 I would give them a spin around the block...

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #1,432 of 4,383
Quote:
OK, cheers.

Can you actually remove the memory wire on them? That clear sleeve that I can see in pics.

I don't particularly like them, and in my previous TF10, I did a recable using the Lune.

They aren't designed to come off, I supposed you can cut them off and pull out the little metal wire (looks like a thin paperclip).  Alternatively, any cable that is cable with the Shure connectors will work as well as a cable. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #1,434 of 4,383
Quote:
Sounds great.

Lastly, can they be worn down like normal buds? As an example, I also owned IE8's, and all I did was disconnect the cable in order to swap out the channels and used right on left etc.

They aren't designed to be worn down. You can, I guess, but I personally find the fit to be very uncomfortable and I absolutely cannot get a proper seal.

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #1,435 of 4,383
I did grab these today. For reference, I have in my possession Shure SE215s, Ety 4RPs, Vsonic GR07 BEs and TDK BA200s. Yes, I have been on a tear. Each one of these IEMs wows me in sort of way but none satisfy me. If I had to pick one it would be the Shure as it is fun and does not offend. It also is priced very low. The VSonics and TDKs are going back to Amazon. The Etys were purchased for isolation but I just am not a fan. My exploration so far has been all about bang for the buck, IMO. I was trying to cheap out and get the 95% for half the price. Well let me say, the UE900s get me to 99% and are worth every penny. I did not pay near full retail but after hearing them, they are easily worth the asking price.

First I want to say something about the build quality and cable issues. My pair is from the 1243 batch and the first thing I did was detach the cable and blow out the contact area. Then I plugged them in and twisted them in every direction while on my ear. I have no cutting out, no static, no issues whatsoever. I have not tried the black cable yet but I think I got a good pair.

I am not going to do a full review now but I did want to give folks some impressions. Everyone is trying to find a deal or the diamond without paying a huge price. The UE900s opened my eyes to a different level of sound. Reading Jokers review about the UE900s and his comparison to the GR07, I was expecting something close. Well, to my ears, they are not close. The UE900s are so much more resolving and balanced. Its funny that I say balanced because that is a supposed characteristic of the GR07s. The UE900s highs are not nearly as in your face but I hear a different level of detail over the GR07s. The BA200s did this too but not to the same level. Bass on the UE900s is much more linear to my ears. The impact is not there like it is with the GR07 dynamic but bass is about alot more than having my eardrums compressed. Again there is more detail in the UE900s bass and the timbre is more natural. FInally there is the midrange. I have not read all of the reviews on the UE900 but this is the portion that impresses me the most with these IEMs. Its not a huge in your face midrange, but the layers of details in this section is accurate over any other IEM I have heard. Shure is famous for their midrange but its a smooth liquid sound. The UE900s aren't the same but they just allow me to hear so much more information. Other factors for me are isolation. With the Comply tips, I find these easily on par with the Shure 215s and the olive tips. I was surprised by this. Comfort is better than the Shures and even with all the others.

So I guess you could say I am pleased. I really like these IEMs. I have read alot of complaints about them in this thread and I am sure many are swayed by this. It is a legitimate concern. Even so, they are worth a chance as long as you have a decent return policy. These are top tier IEMs.

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #1,436 of 4,383
Great news: I received my replacement UE 900s this morning (took awhile because Amazon was out of stock) and it's batch number 1243.
They sound absolutely amazing, almost amazing enough to make me forget about that horrible experience last week!

I am tempted to swap in the black cables just to be sure everything's working fine but can't convince myself to tempt faith after having experienced the faulty 1234 batch last week.

Will continue testing these over the next few days - not to check whether they're working, but sheerly because I can't stop listening to them! :D

Coming from the BOSE mie2 these produce so much more detail :thumbup:

Overall, if these UE 900s lasts long enough, sounding this good...I may just forget the whole thing ever happened!

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #1,440 of 4,383
I would agree. After listening all day to these, I am finding them to be well worth their price and more. If there ever was an underpriced $400 IEM, this is it. Considering you can snag them for much less on eBay or Amazon, these are truly amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back