Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #1,066 of 4,383
Universal customs at a lower price than customs id assume. I'd go for one if I thought I would like the sound sig. The Heir IEMs do look pretty big which could be uncomfortable.

Eh, I'm actually not sure about W4 ergonomics since I haven't used them that long. I've felt some pain from the large housing pushing against my ears though. I'm weird and the TF10 is actually more comfortable for me vs the W4 and stuff like the X10 which everyone says has the best comfort.

The Heir IEMs are extremely small in volume. They aren't as big as they seem. The only pictures I've seen that represent them being relatively large are the customs. The universals are small.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #1,067 of 4,383
FWIW,

I have a long standing history of hating IEMs, basically exhausting the entire Shure product line as well as a variety of Sonys, Beats, and others...all of which I found to be essentially trash.  I stuck with a variety of beloved Sennheiser on-ear headphones until I came across the S4 from Klipsch. That humble IEM lead me to the Monster Turbine Pro Golds and my desire for better has lead me to purchase the UE 900.  

While these are the best IEMs I have ever heard, I am still not convinced they're worth $320 more than the Klipsch or $150 more than the Monsters.  Of course, the soundstage is infinitely wider and the mid-range much more buttery, but I am still struck at how weak the lower end in the UE 900 are.  I am a Comply guy and I know I am getting a good seal and proper insertion depth, but I can only assume that I have a bad copy of this IEM?  The bass is absolutely nowhere near as commanding as the reviews here would have you to believe.   The plucks of a cello on a favorite Debussy recording of mine are not as punchy as those on the Monster Turbine Pro Gold.  I will say it is perhaps more articulate in bass than the Monster Turbine Pro Gold, but the presence is just not there.

The best thing about the UE 900 is the cabling. The braid is genius.  I do, however, have a bad connection on my left with the blue cable that causes the audio to cut out when I'm at the gym.  Also, I am not sure I like the pre-formed over-the-ear rubber at the end of the cables....all this does is make it even more difficult than usual for me to put the cables over my ears.  And what about those people who don't like to wear their IEMs this way? What choice have they?

In the end, I guess my disappointment is that I can go to the local Guitar Center and buy a pair of ATH-M50s that will absolutely blow away these $400 IEMs in many different ways.  For $400 I should not face any compromises.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #1,069 of 4,383
Quote:

Universal customs at a lower price than customs id assume. I'd go for one if I thought I would like the sound sig. The Heir IEMs do look pretty big which could be uncomfortable.

Eh, I'm actually not sure about W4 ergonomics since I haven't used them that long. I've felt some pain from the large housing pushing against my ears though. I'm weird and the TF10 is actually more comfortable for me vs the W4 and stuff like the X10 which everyone says has the best comfort.

+1 to this. It's probably due to how your inner ear curves, whereby IEMs that insert shallow are much more comfortable as compared to deeper inserting IEMs like the ER-4. I am exactly like this :p

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #1,070 of 4,383
Quote:
FWIW,

I have a long standing history of hating IEMs, basically exhausting the entire Shure product line as well as a variety of Sonys, Beats, and others...all of which I found to be essentially trash.  I stuck with a variety of beloved Sennheiser on-ear headphones until I came across the S4 from Klipsch. That humble IEM lead me to the Monster Turbine Pro Golds and my desire for better has lead me to purchase the UE 900.  

While these are the best IEMs I have ever heard, I am still not convinced they're worth $320 more than the Klipsch or $150 more than the Monsters.  Of course, the soundstage is infinitely wider and the mid-range much more buttery, but I am still struck at how weak the lower end in the UE 900 are.  I am a Comply guy and I know I am getting a good seal and proper insertion depth, but I can only assume that I have a bad copy of this IEM?  The bass is absolutely nowhere near as commanding as the reviews here would have you to believe.   The plucks of a cello on a favorite Debussy recording of mine are not as punchy as those on the Monster Turbine Pro Gold.  I will say it is perhaps more articulate in bass than the Monster Turbine Pro Gold, but the presence is just not there.

The best thing about the UE 900 is the cabling. The braid is genius.  I do, however, have a bad connection on my left with the blue cable that causes the audio to cut out when I'm at the gym.  Also, I am not sure I like the pre-formed over-the-ear rubber at the end of the cables....all this does is make it even more difficult than usual for me to put the cables over my ears.  And what about those people who don't like to wear their IEMs this way? What choice have they?

In the end, I guess my disappointment is that I can go to the local Guitar Center and buy a pair of ATH-M50s that will absolutely blow away these $400 IEMs in many different ways.  For $400 I should not face any compromises.

LOL. I don't like things pressing on my ears and you chose S4s and Monsters Golds over 530s and better Sonys. I guess way to much bass is your idea of quality. IEMs may not be for you, doesn't make them crap.

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #1,071 of 4,383
My original post has been updated with 4.Ai comparisons.  An Ultrasone IQ will be added later tonight or tomorrow.  Here is a C&P of what was added...

Heir Audio 4.Ai vs Logitech Ultimate Ears UE 900

Now is the time that everyone really waited for.  The W4 and the 4.Ai are similar in signature.  Well, the UE 900 and the 4.Ai are also very similar in signature.  Take the 4.Ai, increase the upper midrange, extend further into the sub-bass, subdue the mid-bass a bit, and you get a UE 900. 

1. Bass: Starting at the low, sub-bass, we do find that the 4.Ai doesn’t quite reach as low as the UE 900s do.  The result is a slight loss of detailing (when I say slight, I mean slight).  It should be noted, however, that neither really have this depth that they need.  As we go up, we find that both IEMs do offer almost the same amount of impact with a nice strength behind them.  Despite the larger body, the 4.Ai is still able to keep up with speed and timing that the 900s provide.  This larger body does create better presence in the upper bass.  Both provide a nice solid punch with ample tightness to them.  The differences are small, the 4.Ai provides a slightly better upper-bass, the 900s do a slightly better lower-bass… 

Bass: Draw

1. Mids: In contrast to the UE 900s, the 4.Ais show a nice, smooth warmth in the midrange.  It creates a very consumer friendly signature that is inoffensive.  The detail retrieval is above that of the 900s, although both do very well regarding details.  The 4.Ai’s show the lower details more forward and clearer.  Moving onto the vocals, we find that the 4.Ai creates a stronger body over the vocals leading to a lush, soothing sound to them.  They, however, don’t extend high like the 900s do.  In that case, they lose out on sweetness in comparison to the UE 900.  With that said, both lack vocal dynamics.  If we compare clarity, we find that the 900s have a slight advantage over the 4s.  Again, the midrange is really a wash.

Mids: Draw

1. Highs: Going up to the high end, we find two different presentations of treble, the 4.Ai still sound laid back, but still hold a slightly (and I mean slightly) stronger presence over the 900s. We’ll start up high, were both do a fine job.  Detailing and separation up top are well presented by both parties.  The 4s do show slightly better linearity while the 900s show better extension.  When we go down into the lower-treble, both have problems down here.  Although the 900s have the slightest bit better extension, neither are really where they should be in regards to both detailing and presence.  This round is a draw.

Highs: Draw

The headphones are evenly matched here, there is no question about it.  The decision on which to get will solely live up to the sound signature one prefers.  If you want a more neutral and clear sound, the UE 900 would be the no brainer.  If you want a relaxing sound that doesn’t backfire with technicalities, the 4.Ai would be your choice.

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #1,072 of 4,383
Quote:
FWIW,

You want dat bass?

JVC FX700. Done :3

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #1,073 of 4,383
Today tried comparing my new UE 900 with CUSTOM samsung headphones, came with int. SGS III.. using SGSIII )))
(Don't know the model of samy headphones, but I liked them surprisingly much more, comparing to all my old in-ear  headphones)
Won't talk about mids and highs - they are AWESOME. AWESOME and again AWESOME.
But bass is not as interesting as with this chip samy headphones. It's clear an deep, but it's just the way it is.

I'm not an audiophile, just a music-lover...  My opinion is not professional.
Maybe wolfson DAC on SGSIII can't play UE900 with their full power?...
Didn't think I'm a basshead.

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #1,074 of 4,383
Quote:
Hauser, don't let the omission of a mic or remote cable completely deter you from a headphone. You can likely get a mic/remote cable that fits whatever you buy, or get an adapter extension cable that you can use when needed (adds mic and button in line, I have several of these and are not audiophile equipment but serve their purposes well).

This is an interesting take that I hadn't seen before. I had previously thought that companies like Westone and Heir used proprietary connectors that made it difficult to find a mic/button in line. My google-fu is failing me here -- can you point me in the direction of something like this? The Westone 4 and Heir 3 would suddenly come into play, I think.

Also, and maybe I should ask this in the "looking for recommendations" thread, but what reputable sites do you use to buy your IEMs? I'd be willing to pay a little extra knowing I could return them inside of 30 days, for example, since I won't be able to put head-fi words to an actual sound until I get them in my ears.

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #1,075 of 4,383
There are remote mic adapters on Amazon available. It's basically an extension cable with a remote and mic (3.5mm male to 3.5mm female with mic in center). Westone also makes a mic'd cable that is compatible with all Westone and Heir models.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #1,076 of 4,383
I have a Shure mic cable like Tinyman describes. I think JH also makes a Heir/Westone compatible cable, I think around $50USD. If you go Westone make sure you get the removable cable option so you have the choice to swap, I think the regular ones are fixed.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #1,077 of 4,383
Quote:
I have a Shure mic cable like Tinyman describes. I think JH also makes a Heir/Westone compatible cable, I think around $50USD. If you go Westone make sure you get the removable cable option so you have the choice to swap, I think the regular ones are fixed.

I was not talking about the Shure mic'd cable.  Those will only work on Shure models and the UE 900 (and the Ultrasone IQ).  I was talking about something like this:
  1. http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iSoniTalk-Microphone-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B000V8RCTS
  2. http://www.amazon.com/iLuv-iEA15BLK-3rd-Party-Headphone-VoiceOver/dp/B002RL9WDQ/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1353878373&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=iluv+remote+mic

There are others too.  Griffin and Belkin both make one as well.  As for the JH cable, both JH and Westone make a mic'd cable:
  1. http://www.jhaudio.com/product/mic-cable-smart-phones
  2. http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/westone-music-products/accessories/epic-replacement-cables/epic-mics-cable.html

And yes, the regular non-'R' model Westones have no removable cable which means you won't be able to use the JH or Westone cables.  Make sure you get the W4R if you wish to swap the non-mic'd cable for a mic'd cable. 

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #1,078 of 4,383
Funny. I find the UE900 more relaxing than the 4.Ai. The voices are more upfront with the UE but they sound sharper on the Heir. 4.Ai has a presence peak and thus more fatigue.
Also my UE have bigger body in bass than the loaner Heir I have here. The difference is small so I will say it depends on your ears and fit.
Agree that 4.Ai has brighter treble.

After two weeks comparing both I will say the UE is extremely musical while being dead serious about neutrality and resolution. It has zero fatigue like the W4 without a special sound.
Heir 4.Ai comes very close and would be a dream come true if it weren't for UE900 and FA-3E. If I don't want to listen to Classical I prefer either over the Heir.
Then again, the 4.Ai has the best looks.

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #1,079 of 4,383
Quote:
Funny. I find the UE900 more relaxing than the 4.Ai. The voices are more upfront with the UE but they sound sharper on the Heir. 4.Ai has a presence peak and thus more fatigue.
Also my UE have bigger body in bass than the loaner Heir I have here. The difference is small so I will say it depends on your ears and fit.
Agree that 4.Ai has brighter treble.
After two weeks comparing both I will say the UE is extremely musical while being dead serious about neutrality and resolution. It has zero fatigue like the W4 without a special sound.
Heir 4.Ai comes very close and would be a dream come true if it weren't for UE900 and FA-3E. If I don't want to listen to Classical I prefer either over the Heir.
Then again, the 4.Ai has the best looks.

I don't hear that resonance peak in the 4.Ai...  IDK why, I just don't hear that resonance peak. Let me rephrase it, there is a small resonance peak, but the 900s have a larger one. 

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #1,080 of 4,383

Shure made, many years ago, something called the 'Music Phone Adapter.' This was a male to female mini plug with a mic and button in line. I think this came out around the time of the original iPhone. It works just like the ones linked above just a bit old. I am new here, just upgraded from my Shure E500PTH from what must have been the first production batch. So I am still learning...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back