Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #1,097 of 4,383
Anyone have a pair of UE 900s in Westchester NY that would be willing to meet up for a demo?  I have a pair of custom tips on my TF10s and I want to see if they fit on the UE 900 bore tubes. Also would be nice to check out sound before deciding to purchase. Went to Apple store but they did not have any to demo.

Thanks

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #1,098 of 4,383
Quote:

Laptop is about to be totally dead. Need to buy a new one. Am more into full size headphones than IEMs, so a $450 IEM doesn't make that much sense for me when I'm perfectly happy with my B2s.

That sucks :frowning2:  What's causing your laptop to go dead?

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #1,099 of 4,383
Quote:

That sucks :frowning2:  What's causing your laptop to go dead?

Man, so many things. It's a nice Vaio too, only a year old. One fan broke, wireless card is going out, every time I pick the thing up it freezes, leading me to believe a lot of stuff has loose connections inside (was dropped a couple times, not by me). I think it can be repaired, I'm just very frustrated with it and I depend on it for work.

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #1,100 of 4,383
Quote:
Anyone have a pair of UE 900s in Westchester NY that would be willing to meet up for a demo?  I have a pair of custom tips on my TF10s and I want to see if they fit on the UE 900 bore tubes. Also would be nice to check out sound before deciding to purchase. Went to Apple store but they did not have any to demo.

Thanks

Should be, I know your tips might not be from Comply, but from their site the TF10 and UE900 both uses the same 500 series tips.  But again, the UE900 comes with Comply tips, so unless yours are really different, then I don't think you will need them for the UE900.

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #1,101 of 4,383
Quote:
Man, so many things. It's a nice Vaio too, only a year old. One fan broke, wireless card is going out, every time I pick the thing up it freezes, leading me to believe a lot of stuff has loose connections inside (was dropped a couple times, not by me). I think it can be repaired, I'm just very frustrated with it and I depend on it for work.

I bet it is a Vaio Z isn't it?  If it is only a year, then why not RMA it back for repair?

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #1,103 of 4,383
I figured as such.  But what I was trying to say is that if both TF10 and UE900 can use the same kind of tips, then their dimension should not be too far off.

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #1,104 of 4,383
Quote:
I bet it is a Vaio Z isn't it?  If it is only a year, then why not RMA it back for repair?

Nah, it's slightly lower end than the Z, but it's still a nice laptop. Sony support is awful, and overheating has actually caused the labels on the bottom of the laptop to discolor and the serial number/service tag aren't legible enough to get them to RMA it.

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #1,105 of 4,383
Off topic: some company now hard coded the tag and service number into the BIOS, so if your label got messed up, you can still get the information that way.  I suggest you go check your BIOS and see if you can pull the info that way.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #1,108 of 4,383
It's with any audio. Checked cables, various sources. A good one to hear it on is Babylon Sisters by Steely Dan. Few seconds in and the keyboard distorts the HF on the right one. Around 70% volume on my iphone.

This is my second defective pair. Logitech has some serious QC issues. I'm so annoyed. I'm going to get another brand that has their crap together.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #1,109 of 4,383
Quote:
Anybody experiencing a sizzle/distortion on the R and or L side? Mostly shows when hearing things like drums by themselves. I'm on my second pair and the first exhibited this too.

I think I have experienced something akin to this and I do think it is track and encoding specific.  If your song have a section that switching from left to right channel and back in a very short time, you can tell that the UE900 (and Bower & Wilkins C5 is even worse on this) is working hard to split the range with it's drivers and somehow over doing it a bit.  However, I have not noticed anything unusual on the two channels together.  Have you tried using the black non-mic wires?  I am still using the blue one with the mic with no problem, but the black one might help.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #1,110 of 4,383
Quote:
It's with any audio. Checked cables, various sources. A good one to hear it on is Babylon Sisters by Steely Dan. Few seconds in and the keyboard distorts the HF on the right one. Around 70% volume on my iphone.
This is my second defective pair. Logitech has some serious QC issues. I'm so annoyed. I'm going to get another brand that has their crap together.

I'm normally all for helping and testing different things people hear...  However, 70% iPhone volume is at least 100+ dB.  I'm not going to doubt the drivers distort at that level, they are sensitive and easy to drive.  With that said, if I listen at that volume, it hurts my ears :p I'm getting no distortion so far listening to Babylon Sisters at my normal listening volume (~70 dB; equivelent of 25% on my iPod Touch 5G).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back