Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #977 of 4,383
Quote:
Lool me too. Such a hard decision...I'm leaning heavily towards the 4ai but still not sure...

Looks like I'll be getting a pair of 4s sent to me soon :)  Hopefully they'll be here sometime in the next week or so :)  Which makes 2 comparisons :)

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #980 of 4,383
Quote:
My 900s ship out Monday. Happy days.

Waiting for your comparison!
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #983 of 4,383
Just got mine in today at the office. I'll wait until I get home to open it up. I won't do a review or anything like that(I'll leave that up to the professionals :wink:), but I'll post my first impressions.

~6 hours left. Now, I can't do anything productive at the office 
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #984 of 4,383
Had some time to listen to these, and I must say I am very impressed!

I decided on using ME-Electronic's triflange tips. Comply tips have always given me problems

Initial Impressions(please keep in mind that I've never been too good at describing what I'm hearing with words :p) :

Very light and comfortable. I don't see any problems arising from wearing these for extended periods of time
Swivel cable-plugs will take some time to get used to for me
Sound is very smooth and non-fatiguing. Clarity is exceptional. Mids are a little forward. I have not run into any problems with sibilance as of yet
Bass quality is tight and excellent, but quantity is somewhat low in my opinion. Though, I have been using "basshead" headphones/IEMs in the past, so I may be spoiled 
biggrin.gif

I have never heard the TripleFi 10s but, these seem very neutral to me. I guess, going by the terms that most use around here, I would not call these "fun".

I'll post some more thoughts after I've had some more time to listen to them if anyone's interested

Couple pictures:

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #985 of 4,383
Final updates on my impressions.  Not much has changed though.  But the midrange is getting where I want it to be.  IDK if it's the bass nozzle getting clogged up with fluids, or if it's driver change.  Regardless, the clarity in general have increased as has the vocal sweetness (helping overall dynamics).  I haven't heard any change in the last week, so I'll leave it at that. Lower highs are helped a bit by this as well, but it's still not perfect. 

Also, 4.Ai updates should be coming in early to mid-way next week as my loaner pair from Heir Audio is coming :) 

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #986 of 4,383
Ditched the triflanges and went with the comply foam(took some getting used to). These IEM's are a joy when it comes to vocals and acoustics. It's missing a bit of "sparkle" at the top which is something I really liked about the A151's and A161's by MEELEC. 

I haven't had any other IEMs around this price region, so I can't tell you whether or not these are currently worth the $400 price tag, but I will say that to my ears they sound abosolutely fantastic.

tinyman, what tips are you using on these if you don't mind me asking?

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #987 of 4,383
Quote:
Ditched the triflanges and went with the comply foam(took some getting used to). These IEM's are a joy when it comes to vocals and acoustics. It's missing a bit of "sparkle" at the top which is something I really liked about the A151's and A161's by MEELEC. 

I haven't had any other IEMs around this price region, so I can't tell you whether or not these are currently worth the $400 price tag, but I will say that to my ears they sound abosolutely fantastic.

tinyman, what tips are you using on these if you don't mind me asking?

Stock XXS silicone.  UE tips seal very well with my ears, they always have :p (I use them on my Aurisonics ASG-1 as well, XXS).  In my opinion, they could do a little better for their price (definitely not a bang for the buck).

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #988 of 4,383
Ah, I see. I really like the sound that silicon tips produce but they get uncomfortable after awhile. Comply foam sounds a bit muffled in my opinion. Either way, looking forward to both yours and swim's impressions on these soon, as you would both have had the opportunity to try the 4.ai as well. Interested to see how they compare. 

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #990 of 4,383
Quote:
I also got the 4.Ai now. Will post some impressions in 2-3 days. Too early now.

I normally burn them in for 2-3 days :p 

Also to add to my previous post about the final update, I reread it and it does sound like I say that the change fixes everything with vocal dynamics in the 900s.  It does not, it helps it greatly, but there are still some singers that aren't represented to their full potential on the 900s (Ryan Key from Yellowcard being an example of one such singer).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back