Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #736 of 4,383
To those of you who do own the 900s, is it absolutely necessary to wrap the memory wire around the back of your ear? I'm fond of just letting them hang like Apple 'buds for a few reasons. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #737 of 4,383
Quote:
To those of you who do own the 900s, is it absolutely necessary to wrap the memory wire around the back of your ear? I'm fond of just letting them hang like Apple 'buds for a few reasons. 

You can wear them down by swivelling the connector downward and reshaping the memory wire appropriately.  

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #738 of 4,383
Quote:

You can wear them down by swivelling the connector downward and reshaping the memory wire appropriately.  

Alright man, thanks for the fast response
Which cable do you use more often - the one with or without controller?

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #739 of 4,383
Quote:
Alright man, thanks for the fast response
Which cable do you use more often - the one with or without controller?

I use the blue one with the remote since I do have an iPod.  The differences between the cables outside the remote and mic is the fact that the non-mic'd cable has the adjustable Y-split (plastic tube that can be moved up and down).  

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #740 of 4,383
Quote:

I use the blue one with the remote since I do have an iPod.  The differences between the cables outside the remote and mic is the fact that the non-mic'd cable has the adjustable Y-split (plastic tube that can be moved up and down).  

Nice, thank you. I'm thinking the same for my phone. Using S4is right now which I got because of the mic + controls which is extremely helpful!

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #741 of 4,383
Just one last point, the IEMs are a lot more stable worn over the ear though. I'm sure this is true of just about any IEM XD

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #742 of 4,383
Quote:
Just one last point, the IEMs are a lot more stable worn over the ear though. I'm sure this is true of just about any IEM XD

I'll test it out because I've never had memory wire cables before (new audiophile)
I'm just presuming I won't like it 
tongue_smile.gif
 I like the look and ease of just putting the buds in without wrapping it around the back of my ear but it's sensible that they'd be more stable if I did, which I would definitely take advantage of when I workout! And I remember you posted somewhere that the memory wire on the 900s aren't the greatest anyway

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #743 of 4,383
Quote:
I'll test it out because I've never had memory wire cables before (new audiophile)
I'm just presuming I won't like it 
tongue_smile.gif
 I like the look and ease of just putting the buds in without wrapping it around the back of my ear but it's sensible that they'd be more stable if I did, which I would definitely take advantage of when I workout! And I remember you posted somewhere that the memory wire on the 900s aren't the greatest anyway

It might have been someone else.  I like the 900s memory wire.  It's not as stiff as the other as UE uses a softer plastic for the memory wire.  

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #744 of 4,383
Got a chance to listen to them briefly. Compared to the TF10 the highs and lows are toned down a bit but the midrange is up and front. The soundstage is not wide as the TF10 but is more 3D so to speak and a bit of a warm sound signature. They fit my ears rather well. I don't mind the memory wire at all but the cable is prone to microphonics.

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #745 of 4,383
Quote:
Got a chance to listen to them briefly. Compared to the TF10 the highs and lows are toned down a bit but the midrange is up and front. The soundstage is not wide as the TF10 but is more 3D so to speak and a bit of a warm sound signature. They fit my ears rather well. I don't mind the memory wire at all but the cable is prone to microphonics.

I got less microphonics with these compared to something like my Westone W4R.  They aren't microphonic free though, I will admit that.  It isn't too intrusive for me.  Cable thump will always be a problem with just about any IEM that seals though (so running, and even some walking will affect any IEM that seals properly).  

EDIT: my review will be posted today.  Sorry for the delays (I know I gave an ETA for last week, but stuff came up XD).  

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #747 of 4,383
Quote:
Why I like soft, thin, over the ears cables. There is no perfect design but once over ear, it's almost always acceptable. 

The memory cable on the UE900 is soft, but not thin.  They are designed to be worn up (should be obvious by pics XD).  They can be worn downward with a loss of stability by swiveling the cable down.  But like you said, with just about all IEMs, it's almost always acceptable once over the ear.  Even the RE0 is acceptable over ear for me (so long as I guide the wire under my shirt XD).  

Oct 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #748 of 4,383
If any of you don't already know, I posted the review a little while ago.  It can be found here: http://www.ifans.com/blog/59221/

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #749 of 4,383
I'm glad to see that logitech has made a successor that improves on the TF10.  TF10 is my favorite universal of all time.  I might pick one up when my TF10 finally dies..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back