Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #92 of 4,383
Quote:
 I am skeptical myself since the TF10 was quite a fail IMO in comparison to other comparably priced IEM or even cheaper models. But being UE is involved in this, I think they really have some big potential and experience.

The TF10 has a different sound signature, at least in comparison with the non-final unit I heard.  Also, the TF10 was designed years ago from a different design team and retains the old sound signature that is different than the UERM.  I heard all the new products and was surprised when I saw them bring out the UE 900.  I didn't compare it with anything as I wasn't prepared to hear it, but I was impressed with it and I can't say that about all the high priced universals I have auditioned under similar conditions.  Of course, I don't want to anoint it as there is plenty of competition out there, but am interested in how it stacks up and am guessing it will at least hold its own. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #93 of 4,383
Quote:
So these new earphones sound nothing like the V shaped Tri-Fi 10 then? In your opinion it's a reference monitor with a little added touch of coloration to make it sound more fun for the average consumer? From memory, would you say the UE900 comes closer to being neutral then the W4 or is the UE900 more warmer? Something else I'm curious about, is the UE900 bass cleaner and quicker then the W4? I know I'm asking a lot considering you're going by memory but right now these officially got put on my shortlist alongside other potential gear such as the 4Ai, CK100Pro, FX700, and IE800 and I'm trying to decide which would be the better buy right now. I really like the UE700 and the Tri-Fi 10 but I also like other gear I own such as the W4 Sony MDR EX600 and K2 sp so the decision is getting harder and harder for me to make. If the UE900 is just a Tri-Fi 10 in different clothing it's not really worth it to me so that's why I'm pumping you for information.

Yes, it is more like a fun reference monitor, however they were going to tweak the sound at least somewhat, I think a bit more warmth/bass.  Unfortunately I can't answer the comparisons between the W4 and UE 900 since I haven't heard the final tuning of the UE 900 and haven't heard the W4 in quite some time.  The difference in spaciousness between the TF10 and UE 900 is large to me, even without direct comparison.  The 900 I heard shared the technical merits of the UERM, but with a more consumer sound.

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #95 of 4,383
Yeah, that does sound good - I think that's my sweet spot as far as sound signatures go. I think it's a very level-headed approach compared to so many companies that are trying in vain to capture the lightening in a bottle juggernaut that Beats pulled off. Now they do look really really nice, so in that respect, they are following suit. They make me think of a spankin' new blue M3 for some reason. I hope they sound as good as they look. I guess the Heirs would be a new Bentley with the sweet burl they have going on. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #96 of 4,383
Quote:
Yes, it is more like a fun reference monitor, however they were going to tweak the sound at least somewhat, I think a bit more warmth/bass.  Unfortunately I can't answer the comparisons between the W4 and UE 900 since I haven't heard the final tuning of the UE 900 and haven't heard the W4 in quite some time.  The difference in spaciousness between the TF10 and UE 900 is large to me, even without direct comparison.  The 900 I heard shared the technical merits of the UERM, but with a more consumer sound.

Hmm, I know you hear the UERM differently, but I think sheer spaciousness isn't their strong point. Actually, my W4 offer a wider stage, albeit with slightly less depth. The UERM's separation and imaging, however, is stellar in my book. If the UE900 are able to share most of these merits, they'll be fierce competitors in the price range.

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #100 of 4,383
I'm really wouldn't hold your breath on a black friday sale, lol...  The tf10's were pretty old when Amazon started that.  Or maybe I am just telling myself this, as I have have a pair in my apple cart as I speak.

I really don't know how the UERM sounded, but I have the tf's which I really like, i know it's been stated that these sound different, but I guess I'm not sure what they would compare to?  I guess I like a slightly v sound?  A little bass boost and a sparkly even almost hot treble.

I've heard
se425
se315
se535
tf10
ie6
sm2v2

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #101 of 4,383
Yep. And the cables and overall design...

Looks like these will be FAR more comfortable to wear than the TF 10's and on top of this, TWO included cables, and they look like High Quality cables to me :) 

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #102 of 4,383
UE RM's are really really really flat. Everyone I've talked to has told me that they are super transparent and don't emphasize any specific part of the spectrum. That's what makes them reference monitors. 

With these, I'm hoping they use Dual BA's for the bass and one for mids, another for highs. 
The only thing I found lacking about the TF10's was that the lack of really rich outstanding mids... They were clear, but they weren't forward or powerful, as the v shape made them sound almost (I say almost, not fully) recessed.

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #103 of 4,383
Quote:
I'm really wouldn't hold your breath on a black friday sale, lol...  The tf10's were pretty old when Amazon started that.  Or maybe I am just telling myself this, as I have have a pair in my apple cart as I speak.

I really don't know how the UERM sounded, but I have the tf's which I really like, i know it's been stated that these sound different, but I guess I'm not sure what they would compare to?  I guess I like a slightly v sound?  A little bass boost and a sparkly even almost hot treble.

I've heard
se425
se315
se535
tf10
ie6
sm2v2

Grr... I've got a one time use coupon from apple due to a mix up with my mac, and can get these on Tuesday for $386  total with tax and expedited shipping.  Staring at my cart, looking at head-fi, staring at my cart some more, looking at head-fi, etc...

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #104 of 4,383
Never found the TF10s to really be that special like some make them out to be... Then again at $92.00 I couldn't really complain. But at $400 or whatever the full msrp was, not a chance. Hopefully these new IEMs will warrant their price-range.

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #105 of 4,383
Quote:
UE RM's are really really really flat. Everyone I've talked to has told me that they are super transparent and don't emphasize any specific part of the spectrum. That's what makes them reference monitors. 

With these, I'm hoping they use Dual BA's for the bass and one for mids, another for highs. 
The only thing I found lacking about the TF10's was that the lack of really rich outstanding mids... They were clear, but they weren't forward or powerful, as the v shape made them sound almost (I say almost, not fully) recessed.

Hmmm... well I really didn't care that much for the se425's, which I guess were very "flat"... Maybe the heir 3.ai would be better for me?  Jeez, I love the way these look though...  I really like the cable design compared to the pins, (if it's similar to Shure). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back