Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #3,391 of 4,383
So, someone has gotten in touch with me to arrange a time to talk with some managers at UE.

I have a good idea of what to ask them, but just in case, is there any particular questions you peeps would like me to try and find the answer to?

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #3,392 of 4,383
Ask them why they've chosen to discontinue the entire consumer IEM product range leaving only UE900s (a redesign to address the design flaws in UE900) released just 12 months after UE 900.. I think that is an important and valid question to ask on behalf of UE consumers given no public announcement.. companies do not just dump their entire product range all that invested expense loss and projected loss of earnings etc. does not make sense..

Will they be contacting you via email or telephone?

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #3,393 of 4,383
  Ask them why they've chosen to discontinue the entire consumer IEM product range leaving only UE900s (a redesign to address the design flaws in UE900) released just 12 months after UE 900.. I think that is an important and valid question to ask on behalf of UE consumers given no public announcement.. companies do not just dump their entire product range all that invested expense loss and projected loss of earnings etc. does not make sense..

Will they be contacting you via email or telephone?

I'm not sure swift, but just for background, why do you think they've discontinued the entire range? The only reason why I ask is that I can still buy UE products here in Australia. 

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #3,395 of 4,383
I'm only left to speculate but is highly questionable as to why Logitech has.. Logitech acquired Ultimate Ears back in 2008 I'm assuming with the intention of extending product range to deliver consumer IEM as Ultimate Ears was founded in 1995 specializing in professional (custom) IEM.. the first consumer model was released in 2004 with the legacy consumer products being added up until 2008 until being streamlined and rebranded you can still buy from 3rd party sellers but are no longer in production and Logitech typically tends not to retain stock for warranty replacement purposes but now they no longer have a consumer earphone range except UE900s.

My history with Ultimate Ears:
UE 350 (Lasted 3 weeks), UE 400vi (Lasted 7 weeks) UE 400vi (Lasted 7 months), UE 600 (Voided & transferred the warranty to UE 400) UE 600 (Unwanted returned to Amazon unused) UE 400 (Lasted 4 days) UE 400 (Lasted 2 days) UE 900 (Lasted 8 months). currently using UE 200 just to see if they fail but having steadily risen from 350 to 400 to 600 to 900 to using 200 they sound like absolute crap.. I'll also be buying UE900s very shortly with or without discount but preferably with as I'll be purchasing direct from Logitech which tend to be 25 to 30% more expensive but the warranty returns and replacements are easyier

Universal Fit Earphones

1. Ultimate Ears 900: quadruple balanced armatures with passive crossover
  2. Ultimate Ears 700: dual balanced armatures with passive crossover
  3. Ultimate Ears 600: single balanced armature
  4. Ultimate Ears 600vi, identical to 600, but adds built-in microphone and on-cord controls
  5. Ultimate Ears 500: single dynamic driver
  6. Ultimate Ears 500vi: identical to 500, but adds built-in microphone and on-cord controls
  7. Ultimate Ears 400:
  8. Ultimate Ears 400vi:
  9. Ultimate Ears 350: single dynamic driver
  10. Ultimate Ears 350vi: identical to 350, but adds built-in microphone and on-cord controls
  11. Ultimate Ears 300:
  12. Ultimate Ears 200: single dynamic driver
  13. Ultimate Ears 200vi: identical to 200, but adds built-in microphone and on-cord controls
  14. Ultimate Ears 100: single dynamic driver, 10 colorful designs

Legacy consumer products

1. The MetroFi 100 with a 10mm mylar driver.
  2. The MetroFi 100vi, designed for the iPhone, with a 10mm mylar driver and inline microphone.
  3. The MetroFi 150 with a dynamic driver
  4. The MetroFi 150v, designed for the iPhone with a dynamic driver and inline microphone.
  5. The MetroFi 170 with a small dynamic driver
  6. The MetroFi 170vi, designed for the iPhone with a small dynamic driver and inline microphone.
  7. The MetroFi 200, with a dynamic driver.
  8. The MetroFi 220, with a small titanium dynamic driver.
  9. The MetroFi 220vi, designed for the iPhone with a small titanium dynamic driver and inline microphone.
  10. The SuperFi 3 Studio with one balanced armature driver.
  11. The SuperFi 4 with a proprietary balanced armature speaker.
  12. The SuperFi 5 with one Proprietary balanced armature driver.
  13. The SuperFi 5vi designed for iPhone, with one Proprietary balanced armature driver.
  14. The SuperFi 5 EB with one balanced armature and one 13.5mm diaphragm driver.
  15. The SuperFi 5 Pro with Dual balanced armature drivers with an inline crossover.
  16. The Loud Enough, designed for children 6 and up, with a 10mm mylar driver and limits sound pressure levels to 60%.
  17. TripleFi 10: triple balanced armatures with passive crossover
  18. TripleFi 10vi, a modification of the standard TripleFi 10 Pro designed for the iPhone which adds an inline microphone.

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #3,396 of 4,383
So, someone has gotten in touch with me to arrange a time to talk with some managers at UE.

I have a good idea of what to ask them, but just in case, is there any particular questions you peeps would like me to try and find the answer to?

Good to hear they reached out like they said they would. I was also emailed again last night and told they will be posting here today to address what concerns people have.

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #3,397 of 4,383
I'd like to know:

Will they release AND ship an updated UE900 in the near future? Still they pack and ship the old model in the 900s box.

Is it worth waiting for UE to sort out product strategy and, which seems to be the bigger issue, the product distribution? I invest in the next week or so (after reimbursement from UE). Still, I'd like to have the 900s, but that seems to be impossible to get.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #3,398 of 4,383
Originally Posted by swiftkidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My history with Ultimate Ears:
UE 350 (Lasted 3 weeks), UE 400vi (Lasted 7 weeks) UE 400vi (Lasted 7 months), UE 600 (Voided & transferred the warranty to UE 400) UE 600 (Unwanted returned to Amazon unused) UE 400 (Lasted 4 days) UE 400 (Lasted 2 days) UE 900 (Lasted 8 months). currently using UE 200 just to see if they fail but having steadily risen from 350 to 400 to 600 to 900 to using 200 they sound like absolute crap.. I'll also be buying UE900s very shortly with or without discount but preferably with as I'll be purchasing direct from Logitech which tend to be 25 to 30% more expensive but the warranty returns and replacements are easyier

Please don't take offense, but given your history with UE headphones, why do you keep buying them??  If a product only lasted me that long, I would certainly buy from another manufacture especially when there are so many great headphones available.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #3,399 of 4,383
I have no idea but in part I'm not an audiophile and only had Ultimate Ears 350 as part of a warranty deal for a failed set of Logitech Speakers (Z 10s) which I've also managed to purchase back recently brand new from a seller on eBay as they're discontinued but Logitech support has up until this point been prompt in arranging collections and replacements but now shut me out claiming because my initial warranty has expired they're no longer liable.. I've browsed other IEMs but put off by the experience of Ultimate Ears if they would last.. ideally I would hope £200 to £300 earphones would last 6 years as I usually get 3 years out of entry level earphones but which IEM manufactures would you recommended as I will take a look

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #3,400 of 4,383
I'd like to know:

Will they release AND ship an updated UE900 in the near future? Still they pack and ship the old model in the 900s box.

Is it worth waiting for UE to sort out product strategy and, which seems to be the bigger issue, the product distribution? I invest in the next week or so (after reimbursement from UE). Still, I'd like to have the 900s, but that seems to be impossible to get.

I was told via email that they will be providing a timeline as to when the updated model will be shipping when they post here.

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #3,401 of 4,383
Looking forward to see the announcement by Logitech but I am not holding my breath... I guess they needed 3 days to prepare a statement and consult with their advisors how to cover their ass.

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #3,405 of 4,383
Good to hear they reached out like they said they would.

Reached out?  They were dug in the ribs time and time again by people here and finally awoke from their slumber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back