Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
May 28, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #3,287 of 4,383
  You can always try and clean the connectors and see if it helps. I have had the same issues when I got mine, since then the cut offs are very random though. Very annoying indeed.

I like them, but just not enough to worry about the issue.  They also just don't fit me that well, I actually prefer my flipped TF10. 

May 28, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #3,289 of 4,383
  So I'm wondering if anyone has heard any more news about this situation?

I can suggest a way for you to escalate the response to this issue. Someone should open up a new entry in the gear guide for the UE900s, and if you leave your review there it will make it near the top of any Google searches for the UE900s. Or you could leave an Amazon review at this listing: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultimate-Noise-Isolating-Earphones-VERSION/dp/B00JB66VX4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401263802&sr=8-2&keywords=ue900

I was told yesterday by Logitech email support that they should finally have an answer for me within 24-48 hours. That's after almost 2 weeks of going back and forth with them via email support.

May 28, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #3,292 of 4,383
I feel like the talk regarding the UE900 has turned overly negative over recent weeks, and no, before you suggest it, I have no links to the company. When I first bought mine I came, like many, from the UE TF10 and thought they lacked the wow factor that I experienced with the tf10 which left me initially disappointed. However, 6 months down the line I love them and have just dug out the tf10's again for some a/b testing. Whereas my initial impressions were that the 900's had weaker bass response I could virtually hear no difference this time around. I think the source could be the reason for such a wide range of response from users. First time around I was using a Note 2 and perceived an improvement through Apple devices (ipod and ipad) with the 900's with the tf10's being the overall clear winner for musicality and enjoyment on all sources. However, through the Note 3, in the most recent test there is very little in it. What I know for sure is my early opinion about weak bass was totally unfounded. Whether this is due to burn in or, as I prefer to believe, brain adjusting to the new sound signature I dont know but my advice to anyone would be persist. They're definitely worth it. And for the record I've experienced no issues whatsoever (touching wood furliously!!!)

May 28, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #3,293 of 4,383
There not bad sounding there just inconsistent, like you said there very alot from sorce and factor in the change in sound from the pin whole. But that's not the main issue because that dose not mean bad sound it just mean exactly what inconsistent mean. The main problem is the build quality and issue like the 900 in a 900s package. With the 900 its always something. And its frustrating having to send them back and forth and very time consuming for both logitec and the customers

May 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #3,294 of 4,383
I agree. Like I said before, I like them but don't love them. Sound cut offs from day one, fragile build quality. The most recent issue with the 900 being sold in a 900s box is the most recent issue. If the company address a quality build issues and based on that a customer purchases the new and improved 900s and gets the 900 shell it's just a bad business. Most customers are not head-fi members and probably don't even know they received the 900 when they purchased and paid for 900s.

May 30, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #3,297 of 4,383
Has anyone else noticed that Logitech has discontinued every consumer IEM except UE900s? and prior to discontinuation several Ultimate Ear IEM were rebranded such as the SuperFi range etc. maybe one of the reasons was due to Logitech acquisition of Ultimate Ears in 2008 but why do you think Logitech has a history of prematurely discontinuing products? All that expense on advertising, marketing, product development, production and countless other expenses to suddenly without explanation or announcement stops manufacturing them?

Loud enough (kids range)
100 / 200 / 300 (Entry level)
350 / 400 / 500 (mid market)
600 / 700 / 900 (upper market)

All discontinued by manufacturer hence why 350, 400 & 600 were included in the 50% sale several months ago when Logitech Store reduced UE900 from £329.99 to £164.95 and 350, 400 & 600 can be found in their close out sale still today.. I think Logitech does not retain stock to cover consumer warranties as they sell them all off but will usually offer upgraded model in replacement or discount on further upgrade. My UE900 has suffered the same fate with volume imbalance and degraded sound after 8 months of use and since my original purchase was UE350 2 years ago claim can not provide replacements since I've had a collaborated 2 year warranty worth of replacements. I've tried 350, 400. 600 & 900 - All have failed except 600 as I dislike the 3D sound which lacked any type of bass so gave them away. I like Logitech brand (computer peripherals) as they've some well designed products majority in sleek black at affordable and competitive prices but this Ultimate Ears brand starting to feel it's one big sham.. I have requested UE900s replacement at cost value offering upwards of £85.00 which I feel is generous on my part given current reputation and history of earphones: two pairs lasting just several days, another two sets lasting several weeks and only two sets lasting several months.. all suffering the same fate with one of the channels going quieter then the other.. but have been satisfied up to this point due to prompt and swift arrangements of collection, replacements and upgrades.. but have recently started being hostile towards me even suggesting that I was to blame and are quiet happy to wash their hands off customer once their 2 year warranty has expired.

My headphones have been very well kept as all have lived permanently on my desktop ( I don't wear them to bed or exercise with them or travel/commute or wear them at work just desktop use.. I've never shared them and no one has access to them apart from me and I don't suffer with waxy ears.. I've searched extensively on the internet looking for probably cause or explanation but only find other users with same or similar issue and prior to UE brand my headphones use to be entry level Phillips She model which cost less than £7.00 and typically would last around 3 years which I found acceptable.. so to learn Ultimate Ears has discontinued 90% of their consumer IEM product range and redesigned, repacked and relaunched UE900s reportedly reducing the product warranty from 2 years to just 1 year causes me to believe that it is quality issues to blame for my short lived earphones.. consumers have not been kept informed and the company has not made announcements of it's future direction so what else am I to think?

Would it be unreasonable to expect an earphone retailing over £250 to last at least 6 years.. cause that's all I ask?

Edit: Logitech Support agent has declined to replace at cost value but also has failed to answer or comment on why entire UE product range has been discontinued leaving UE900s with a reduced 1 year warranty.. This is all they suggest "You can perhaps try to have your Ultimate Ears 900 repaired on a third-part repair store."  I have contacted the CEO and have made plans to raise awareness of build quality issues across Head-Fi, Youtube, Amazon, and Twitter.

May 30, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #3,298 of 4,383
Well, Logitech support after 2 weeks finally gave me an answer (sort of) about me UE 900s. They are indeed UE 900 in a 900s box, but because I didn't buy them direct from them they said I have to contact the seller that I bought them from to deal with it since "there is a possibility that I any seller besides Logitech may have opened a UE 900s box, removed the 900s, replaced them with the 900, and revealed them and sold them as 900s". Thanks for all the help Logitech...

May 30, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #3,299 of 4,383
Well, Logitech support after 2 weeks finally gave me an answer (sort of) about me UE 900s. They are indeed UE 900 in a 900s box, but because I didn't buy them direct from them they said I have to contact the seller that I bought them from to deal with it since "there is a possibility that I any seller besides Logitech may have opened a UE 900s box, removed the 900s, replaced them with the 900, and revealed them and sold them as 900s". Thanks for all the help Logitech...

Can't trust them,
mine came directly from  logitech in a brand new "sealed box" after my ue900 bought from their website stopped working.
after at least 3 weeks and even with the link of the great youtube video posted here some days ago, they keep telling that "our expert says they are the same" ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back