Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
May 24, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #3,257 of 4,383
From my own experience, most of the locals I know here in Hong Kong including myself have very dry and flakey ear wax, whereas my best mate, who's of European descent has very greasy and gooey ear wax. I used to tease him about it and I wouldn't ever let him use my IEMs. I own over a dozen pairs of IEMs since my first, Shure e4r, and they've never been clotted up, I didn't even need to clean them ever. So I hope my UE900s aren't going to be the first pair to do so.

That can't be true, as I know plenty of people with not so dry ear wax, including myself.

May 24, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #3,258 of 4,383
From my own experience, most of the locals here in Hong Kong including myself have very dry and flakey ear wax, whereas my best mate, who's of European descent has very greasy and gooey ear wax. I used to tease him about it and I wouldn't ever let him use my IEMs. I own over a dozen pairs of IEMs since my first, Shure e4r, and they've never been clotted up, I didn't even need to clean them ever. So I hope my UE900s aren't going to be the first pair to do so.
I don't doubt its flakey, but as for music, I've not heard any out of Hong Kong.

May 24, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #3,259 of 4,383
Well you can always use unreasonable ways to clean it up
biggrin.gif

Like putting it in the dishwasher LOL

May 24, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #3,260 of 4,383
Ok, I just went to the shop and demoed the UE900 and did a comparison with my UE900s, physically they are completely identical apart from the little red ring on the right cable connector. But sound wise, they are very different, and not how I expected it to be at all. The UE900 do not sound thin, in fact there is plenty of sub bass, but what it lacks is clarity compared to the 900s. While the 900 bass sounds boomy and soft, the 900s is very tight and punchy and makes the 900 sounds very veiled in comparison. I was told the sound levels are supposed to be the same with both but my 900s sounded much louder, like 2dB louder at least. I was also told they have not had problems with drivers clotting with their customers ever, so maybe the BBC article was right about Chinese having dry ear wax. Anyway, to me the UE900s SQ is a big improvement and totally worth it even if they are physically identical to the 900.

I was looking at the back of my UE900s box and there is this picture, I guess it doesn't look so much like my UE900s, but as long as they sound good, I'm fine with it. :cool:

I think I am going to run a video on this, because I think people should know about what is happening. I review earphones but in the end I'm also a customer and it really really upsets me when I see things like this happening. 

Is it possible for the people who have received the UE900 with UE900s packaging and accessories to post here a complete account (with photos) of what they ordered and what their interaction with customer service has been like? I have been following this thread, but I would like to be able to reference (and link people to) specific single statements from people rather than making people read through pages upon pages of threads. 

That would be a great help and hopefully more scrutiny will get you a response on this issue.

May 24, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #3,261 of 4,383
Did you try a new 900 and or 900s straight out the box or did you just try new ue 900 straight out the box and yours. If its the latter how long did you own your 900s. I ask because what you just describe sound like the changes caused by the pin hole size bore. I am very familiar with this change and if you look at the earlier post in this form you can read about the same thing being described. If you like the sound as of right now it doesn't matter. But expect another sound change. If you still like them after then even better. Only time can tell if the falling apart happens and I doubt the cutting out problem will happen because of the gel they gave you but once again only time will tell

May 24, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #3,262 of 4,383
It wasn't a new pair of course, I don't think I should ask them to open a brand new one just for me to demo. Mine are over 2 weeks old now, they sounded a little harsh right out of the box, but not anymore.

Did you try a new 900 and or 900s straight out the box or did you just try new ue 900 straight out the box and yours. If its the latter how long did you own your 900s.

May 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #3,263 of 4,383
Sounds reasonable. Doesn't matter if you get a ue900 or 900s. The 900 we're not bad sounding or anything, just inconsistent. The 900s should be the same but with a different final sound change from the original.I Gus's it comes down to if you like the final sound change or not You should be good with the cutting out problem. Seem like it's the only thing that's been adress just based on the accessory they provided. Everything else depends on what iem you really recive. But in your case it dose not matter. I had these for while so I'm try out the Weston 06 or sure 846

May 24, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #3,264 of 4,383
My UE 900 had a good sound and still sound ok, but different. Never felt the bass or sub was were lacking. Pretty detailed and crisp.
They started with a little more bass though and more muffled. Over time the back crisper and more neutral sound. Over all I like it as it's non fatigue and I used them for hours during the day. Although I baby them poor quality is what concerns me the most. I mainly got them for the replaceable cable and mic based on the fact that I was sick of getting earphones that break thinking I could always replace the cable, didn't think the connectors would give me a hard time.
@jayaudio116 it's interesting that you said they inconsistent. Some days they are great and some days I feel like the left channel is 5-7% louder. I always compare them to other earphones and headphones for the same tracks to make sure I am not going crazy.

May 24, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #3,265 of 4,383
May 24, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #3,266 of 4,383
@tommy I had 5 pair and all of them were inconsistent. Some days they would sound great, other days ok, the next the perfect iem, ect.. I can go on and on until lit reaches a point where it doesn't change drastically and even then then it would change but any change after that would be a change that would affect any iem such as sweat, tempture, cabel change ect. Overal it's not a bad iem tho. But what I wanted from them was consistancy and one with no build quality issue. @a record. That what it seems like. It maybe that only japan recived the 900s and everyone else recived what look like a 900 in a 900s package. It wouldn't be so confusing if the image of the 900s looked like the one everybody recived. Maybe Logitech of America is not at fault and whoever supplies the 900s to them are

May 24, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #3,267 of 4,383
  At this point I think we should be wondering, has anyone ordered the UE900s and actually received the new version? Just looking through this thread, every single person who ordered one appears to have gotten the old version except jrwong28 http://www.head-fi.org/t/624973/ultimate-ears-ue-900-discussion-and-impressions-thread/2970#post_10492301 (though I'm not sure if those are his pictures).

Not his. From e-earphone.

Link: http://ameblo.jp/e-earphone/entry-11833503491.html

UE900s is not available in Singapore and will not be available in Singapore (as confirmed by the major retailers here).

May 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #3,268 of 4,383
@jayaudio116 this is even more disappointing since so many owners have issues with their 900, so Logitech supposedly released a newer version to rectify them and improve their flagship, great, right? Wrong, the product is identical and to maker matter worse they shortened the warranty from 2 years to 1, for a $400 flagship.

May 25, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #3,269 of 4,383
@tommy it is disappointing,but what can we do. Its unfortunate because they could of been very good if they fixs those problem but all I can do is keep my 900 until my warranty period is up. And take my bussniss else were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back