Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #2,446 of 4,383
Just listening to the UE900s on my way back from work on the DX50s is simply stunning. To think I almost gave these to my mate because I couldn't stand the veiled mids and bass

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #2,448 of 4,383
That DX50 has to really be something. I'll try my Glacier as I feel it does about the same for my FA-4E XB. Will get back to you later.

I think the DX50 is really touchy. With my RE400s it sounds quite bad, like the sound is congested

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #2,451 of 4,383
The bass could work well with EDM. I don't really like alternative or metal with them.. Not that I listen to very much metal. But I find the aggression in alternative rock/emo and such, to be lacking. If you get a good deal on them, do get meelec balanced tips and plug the pinhole a bit, does help with the upper mids that are too smooth and polite. But they're not horrible in any sense. Still remain quite clear with the treble just that the upper mids lack the bite I like. Earlier I found that the GR07 was quite good with electric guitars and drums. But haven't heard them in a while. If your budget allows it, check out the FA-4E Xb as well unless you feel that the convenience of the mic is very important.

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #2,452 of 4,383
Since you brought up DX50, I see on iBasso webpage a menu with Directory and USB OTG.  Am I reading this correctly that you can hook it up to your smartphone and use it like an external DAC playing files from the internal phone memory?  I'm using my Note 2 with E18 for that purpose now, works great with either UE900 or M-80 or MOMENTUM, and the bass boost on E18 does wonders for UE900 to bring up lows.  But if DX50 is capable to be used as standalone audio player AND external dac/amp through OTG - that would be an even better setup.  So, I would appreciate if anybody can clarify that.

Btw, even after extensive burn in and with comply tips for better sound isolation - I still can't get too much bass out of UE900.  You get a top notch quality but not quantity.  I guess closing in that pinhole is the only option?  Anybody care to explain the best way to do it?  I would prefer a reversible way so I can open it back up if I decide to?

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #2,453 of 4,383
I listen mainly metal and ue900 are good with it. I must admit that triplefi are more funny with their bass but ue900 are more analytical and have more microdetail and precision due to the four balanced armatures. With ue900 metal and similar genres are really good but some "power" in the sound is missing. Anyway the mids are better and more forwarded than tf's and I prefere them for this reason. Ue900 are reccommended with all genres imho.

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2,454 of 4,383
I would say:

1) The UE900 stock is pretty bassy but not basshead material. If you feel like you don't get enough bass, blocking the pinhole is only going to make it worse. Make sure that it isn't already blocked. Try other tips for maximum bass response, I feel that comply tips don't enhance bass quantity. It does however give kind of a unique "comply"-texture to the bass.

2) The upper mids are veiled or subdued compared to more neutral sets. However I understand if many like them for rock/metal etc. I find guitars to be slightly too thick and to lack bite. Strings to be a bit dull and brass to sound a bit muted. But that's just my preference. If you're coming from way more laid back and bass heavy sets, the sound will most likely be a bit boring and very clear. If you think that the sound lacks power, what part of the sound do you feel is lacking? Bass? Edge/aggression?

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #2,456 of 4,383
That's what I feel is lacking as well. Screams sound... well.. a bit dull. Guitars sound thick and more chrunched than distorted. Don't get me wrong, they're still good. It's just that they lack the bite and aggression. Do you have any meelec balanced tips around? They do however lessen the mid/upper bass and take away some of the warm character but to my ears they bring out the upper mids better because of that. I realised that I like those tips with all 3 of my most used iems (ASG-2, UE900 and FA-4E). If you live in EU it would be quite easy for you to try out the Fischer Amps FA-4E Xb. I just can't stop recommending them as an upgrade from UE900. With meelec balanced, a lot clearer, less mid bass, about the same or more sub bass, better impact, more extended treble. Just overall better in my opinion. And they are scary when it comes to screams. Coupled with a source with clear, slightly forward upper mids it's a delight to listen to them. I'm not trying to bash the UE900, I love them. It's just so damn hard to think of a reason to put them in my ears these days when I have something that's so similar, only better for my preferred sound signature.

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #2,458 of 4,383
No at the moment I'm not interested in buying others iems. Ue 900 are really good all rounders and I like them. They are not perfect but I'd rather them over Tf, even if with less bass. Maybe not enought impact!

Now I'n waiting my ibasso with the R3 gift and I'll try them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back