Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #1,381 of 4,383
Quote:
Have not heard any quality control W4 complaints upon intro.

If you flip-flopped TF10 and UE900 form factor/housings, TF10 would have a crazy resurgence and no one would buy UE900.

There were a heap of people complaining about muddy sound, poor fit "these problems shouldn't happen with $450 iems!!" type stuff. Granted not as wholesale defective as the UE complaints, but it would seem that there is more hypervigilance surrounding these flagship universals.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #1,382 of 4,383
Quote:
There were a heap of people complaining about muddy sound, poor fit "these problems shouldn't happen with $450 iems!!" type stuff. Granted not as wholesale defective as the UE complaints, but it would seem that there is more hypervigilance surrounding these flagship universals.

To add, there have been cases of loose cables on the W4R after disconnecting the cable from the housings.  I actually personally had this problem as well.  It didn't cut out sound, but was loose.  When the Phonak PFE 1xx was first released, they had similar problems as the UE 900 from what I heard.  These things do happen.  

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #1,383 of 4,383
I wonder what percentage of flagship iems are made in China...I don't know if there's any difference in quality control between China and the rest of the world in this day and age when it comes to high end audio products, but it'd be nice to have some numbers to look at. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #1,384 of 4,383
I'm guessing at least 90%.  In this day in age, workmanship is same or better in China.  The real issue with China is the quality of the parts being used and China is able to manufacture very inexpensive parts, not only due to cheap labor but cheap materials too.

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #1,385 of 4,383
I just listened to the song you linked to on YouTube. What I am hearing on the left channel is some guitar fret noise or buzzing caused by the stings hitting the frets as the string vibrates - this is noticeable in the intro in a couple of places. But this is from the way the guitar is played and not anything to do with the headphones. I am not saying that you may be hearing something else in addition to this but thankfully I am not hearing it! I did have some major issues with the headphones when I connected them to the headphones out of one of my guitar effects units but after I plugged in the adaptor UE supplied it sounded great. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #1,386 of 4,383
Quote:
I just listened to the song you linked to on YouTube. What I am hearing on the left channel is some guitar fret noise or buzzing caused by the stings hitting the frets as the string vibrates - this is noticeable in the intro in a couple of places. But this is from the way the guitar is played and not anything to do with the headphones. I am not saying that you may be hearing something else in addition to this but thankfully I am not hearing it! I did have some major issues with the headphones when I connected them to the headphones out of one of my guitar effects units but after I plugged in the adaptor UE supplied it sounded great. 

I agree that these are very revealing and the strumming/reverb of the guitar string is highly realistic but I assure you this is not what I'm hearing. In the worst case scenario and I'm tone deaf (pretty sure I aint!), it should not distort and turn to a fuzz that is completely missing in the right earphone when I use a dual left output.
Thinking long and hard, I have found a way to prove my problem.

YES I went to the extent of wiring a 3.5 male to dual 3.5 female LEFT. (so no right channel audio, just dual left wired to the right pole and left pole) using some Toxic cable wire I had left over (they do some great cables by the way). I only heard the clipping in the left phone not the right thus my left phone is faulty.

Q.E.D. (no not the headphone brand but the latin statement!)

I will be emailing UE and having a bit of a whinge
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #1,387 of 4,383
I recently purchased a pair of UE 900s, and on my first tests, they've been absolutely fantastic. Unforutnately, I'm also experiencing the random fuzzy noise in the left monitor. I want to say it must be a contact issue because I can rotate the cable on the left monitor and replay the audio without the problem. But it just keeps coming back, and it's quite inconvenient to have to continously rotate the cable.

The serial number on my pair starts with 1237. I'm not sure if I should go for a replacement or just return them. Has anyone who has had this issue gotten a new pair that didn't have this problem?

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #1,388 of 4,383
Quote:
I recently purchased a pair of UE 900s, and on my first tests, they've been absolutely fantastic. Unforutnately, I'm also experiencing the random fuzzy noise in the left monitor. I want to say it must be a contact issue because I can rotate the cable on the left monitor and replay the audio without the problem. But it just keeps coming back, and it's quite inconvenient to have to continously rotate the cable.

The serial number on my pair starts with 1237. I'm not sure if I should go for a replacement or just return them. Has anyone who has had this issue gotten a new pair that didn't have this problem?

The only way to get a pair replacement that won't come with a replacement will more likely than not have to come directly from UE.  Additionally, you can clean the contacts (of both the male and female).  When I had the problem with my first pair, I had cutting out of audio rather than fuzzyness.  This was remedied by using an IEM cleaning tool (brush-side) to clean out the inside.  

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #1,389 of 4,383
Quote:
Quote:
I agree that these are very revealing and the strumming/reverb of the guitar string is highly realistic but I assure you this is not what I'm hearing. In the worst case scenario and I'm tone deaf (pretty sure I aint!), it should not distort and turn to a fuzz that is completely missing in the right earphone when I use a dual left output.
Thinking long and hard, I have found a way to prove my problem.

YES I went to the extent of wiring a 3.5 male to dual 3.5 female LEFT. (so no right channel audio, just dual left wired to the right pole and left pole) using some Toxic cable wire I had left over (they do some great cables by the way). I only heard the clipping in the left phone not the right thus my left phone is faulty.

Q.E.D. (no not the headphone brand but the latin statement!)

I will be emailing UE and having a bit of a whinge
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm curious, you've swapped cables, but have not tried cleaning the actual contacts on the housing (or cable) it seems.  Take a small brush and just clean it and see if it fixes it :p  I'm not sure if the cause of your problem was the same as mine, but if it is, it was some residue left over that causes problems.  Get an IEM cleaning tool brush and clean it up, or do what others have said and dress it.  It's worth a try, before you send it into UE anyways :p

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #1,390 of 4,383
Quote:

The only way to get a pair replacement that won't come with a replacement will more likely than not have to come directly from UE.  Additionally, you can clean the contacts (of both the male and female).  When I had the problem with my first pair, I had cutting out of audio rather than fuzzyness.  This was remedied by using an IEM cleaning tool (brush-side) to clean out the inside.  

No go with the cleaning. I gave more attention to the monitor contact since both cables will produce the static/noise/fuzziness. I may just end up returning the current pair and contacting UE about it.

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #1,391 of 4,383
Peeps, feel like helping? lovely! Where do you find the following:
1) M/N (Model number) The M/N is the model #, e.g. T-BB18
Is this the SKU? (983-000382)?

2) PID (Product ID) or S/N (Serial Number)?

3) P/N (Part number)

Can you tell me where on the box/wherever these are located as I'm stupid stumped!
beyersmile.png

Cheers,
Aman

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #1,392 of 4,383
Quote:
Peeps, feel like helping? lovely! Where do you find the following:
1) M/N (Model number) The M/N is the model #, e.g. T-BB18
Is this the SKU? (983-000382)?

2) PID (Product ID) or S/N (Serial Number)?

3) P/N (Part number)

Can you tell me where on the box/wherever these are located as I'm stupid stumped!
beyersmile.png

Cheers,
Aman

2. The PID is on the 3.5mm jack of the cable. It's 4 digits. The serial number is on the bottom of the box. It is 12 characters, and there's a barcode above it.

I'm not sure where 1 and 3 are, but it sounds like you're contacting Logitech? The model number is optional. I entered the serial number on the box, and (though probably incorrect) the PID as the part number.

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #1,393 of 4,383
After reading more online it looks like there are certain serial numbers that people are having issues with (It was starting 1234 something like that). Mine was 1235 and did not have the same issues so I think you probably got a bad set. I would have a little talk with them too if I was having issues! :)

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #1,394 of 4,383
Quote:
After reading more online it looks like there are certain serial numbers that people are having issues with (It was starting 1234 something like that). Mine was 1235 and did not have the same issues so I think you probably got a bad set. I would have a little talk with them too if I was having issues! :)

Mine is 1234 and I haven't run into the problem yet.  At the same time, I don't listen above 80 dB normally.  

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #1,395 of 4,383
Thanks for letting me know. Mine has:
on the 3.5mm jack on both blue and black cables...Ahhh sheet!! I presume that is 1234 serial number (unless logitech are spastics and read in a funny manner! haha). Logitech have been contacted. On the plus side, they have been VERY quick to reply! I'm actually a little bit blown away, they seemed very courteous etc. Looking good. *crosses fingers n toes* dont jinx it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back