Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #2,941 of 4,383
I went through many many earphones for years with many not lasting a month. I never abused them but I'm a heavy user. Usually the cable controls were the first to break, then a driver would usually break. I never had a problem with my UE900 though. I found the build quality to be quite nice. They look good and sound good. The swivel on the cable I didn't like though...it made them kinda confusing to put on.

Like, UE900 is a great headphone sonically and aestethically, but I had a pair of cheap Shures that went through hell and back with no problems and this thing split into two when I tried to remove the cable once. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #2,944 of 4,383
I agree with you that if companies took that approach it would be better but look at the evidence in hand. The UE900 is not a well made product. I think it would be naive to suggest that an actual meeting took place in which it was decided that they would deliberately aim for this in the design. However, The fact remains that the black plastic area which joins the cables to the main body of the earphone is cheap and nasty. The memory wire around the ears is poor and the jack cheap. The strain relief on the cables is virtually non existent. The UE logos wear off and everything is made of plastic. However, there is no real excuse for using poor materials because they are a £300 pair of earphones. Thank God they sound so good and look OK from a distance because the money certainly isn't going on production costs.

I completely agree with you that UE cheaped out in the manufacture/design of the UE900 - hopefully they learned their lesson and the next flagship has a better build. And I know there wasn't a meeting where they decided to consciously make them break. That's sarcasm - only prompted by your statement that a major publicly-traded company would make enter into a conspiracy with other major publicly-traded companies to have your IEM break so they can sell you a new one and make extra money. It's a commonly bandied-about fallacy (or fantasy) that I guess, irked me.

Cheers
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #2,946 of 4,383
Has anyone bought the Spare 3.5mm Silicone Ear Cushion Kit for UE 900 recently from http://buy.logitech.com/store/logib2c/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryid.60213000 ? I wonder if the tips will be the new colored tips. I ordered a set JUST yesterday and now I'm kicking myself for not waiting a bit more. I'm currently in touch with a Logitech customer service rep and I'm waiting on their reply.

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #2,947 of 4,383
  Has anyone bought the Spare 3.5mm Silicone Ear Cushion Kit for UE 900 recently from http://buy.logitech.com/store/logib2c/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryid.60213000 ? I wonder if the tips will be the new colored tips. I ordered a set JUST yesterday and now I'm kicking myself for not waiting a bit more. I'm currently in touch with a Logitech customer service rep and I'm waiting on their reply.

Sorry, but I think that's the old set...

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #2,949 of 4,383
This pic seems to show the differences in the new design but confusingly shows two different models. I have the old ones which look like the bottom picture (black Section connecting the lead to the main body) However, the top pic has blue plastic housing the cable connection suggesting that perhaps the whole ear bud is one moulded piece now. That would certainly make them more robust in the area that so much of the damage seems to occur.

Hi,
just receive my replacement, my ue 900 stoped working on the left side.
something strange i got a ue900s, at least the box and accessories.
but when i check the pictures it lokks like the old ue900 : (black Section connecting the lead to the main body)
Is it possible that logitech send us ue900 in a ue900s boxe??
But no mention of ue900 on the mail i got from them, 

by the way it is written 2years warranty for eu countries only one for other.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #2,953 of 4,383
  hard to tell with those pictures, but right now can't see any difference between the new and the old.
but i will compare with ue900 tonight.

Use this as your reference:

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #2,955 of 4,383
Hey guys, anyone care to compare the durability between UE900 and UE900s? For the UE900s owners, how are your earphones holding up till now?

Sorry but UE900S is a new product that had arrival this month only so how to compare it's with the old UE900?
I own two UE900 one is a free gift when i brought SE846 already sold the other one is i brought it's myself
So far after 10 months of use everything went smoothly nothing serious happen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back