Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #166 of 4,383
Hopefully someone else with a better ear will get them soon and add their input..  
etysmile.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #167 of 4,383
Quote:
So far I am happy with my purchase.  

Do you think there is a $230 difference in sound quality between the TF10s and UE900?

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #168 of 4,383
Quote:

Do you think there is a $230 difference in sound quality between the TF10s and UE900?

What are you talking about?  230 dollar difference?  The TF10s didn't MSRP at 170...  You can't compare a "street" price to an MSRP price. It's like the person who said the Amperiors weren't worth the price tag because the HD25 IIs were 150 dollars cheaper and therefore had a better bang for the price.  He should have compared the MSRPs.  I know for a fact that UE didn't release the TF10 at 170.

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #169 of 4,383
What are you talking about?  230 dollar difference?  The TF10s didn't MSRP at 170...  You can't compare a "street" price to an MSRP price. It's like the person who said the Amperiors weren't worth the price tag because the HD25 IIs were 150 dollars cheaper and therefore had a better bang for the price.  He should have compared the MSRPs.  I know for a fact that UE didn't release the TF10 at 170.

See this is a nice way to think about things in terms of the company's ingenuousness in pricing, which in this case plays to UEs favor as they are selling their new top model for the same price that the old top model was when it was released.

However to people actually doing research with the intent to buy one or the other, what matters is how much they can actually purchase the phones for, and whether that price difference is justafiable.

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #170 of 4,383
Quote:
See this is a nice way to think about things in terms of the company's ingenuousness in pricing, which in this case plays to UEs favor as they are selling their new top model for the same price that the old top model was when it was released.
However to people actually doing research with the intent to buy one or the other, what matters is how much they can actually purchase the phones for, and whether that price difference is justafiable.

Wait a few years and the 900s will drop in price to.  When it does, we'll be comparing 10-20 dollars...  All the reviews that stated it was overpriced because it was MSRP will become invalidated?  I think not. 

You compare its MSRP with others MSRP (even if it's the same company).  Like saying the TF10 is a much better value at 170 over the AtomicFloyd Superdarts because the AFS costs 300 is a major flawed statement.  The Atomic Floyd may eventually drop in price like the TF10 did. Please note IDK if the TF10 does sound better than the SuperDarts, it's just an example. 

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #171 of 4,383
Quote:

They've been selling for that price for a while now.  Do you think the TF10s would sell for $400 nowadays?  All I know is that you can buy the TF10s for $170 and the UE900s for $400 right now.   I bet many people want to know if spending $400 for the new model will give them better sound quality than spending half as much for the older model.

But hey, let me rephrase the question.  Is there a difference in sound quality between the TF10s, which had an original MSRP of $400, and the UE900, which also has an MSRP of $400?

Or here is another way to ask the question:   is the UE900 much better than the TF10?

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #172 of 4,383
Soundwise, probably not $230 better, but if you factor in the fit, I could see making an argument there.

I've heard a lot of people say they love the tf sound but hate the fit... so they go with something else, lets say um3x, sm3v2 or se535 because they get a much better fit etc... those are going to be about 150 more and they are getting relatively similar sound quality (not signature).  So those people would would pay another 100 to 150 for the tf's if they fit perfectly (and they do through re-shelling), I could see spending another say 200 for these?  You do get an added driver, and a an extra chord.  Maybe that doesn't make sense...  LOL... personally I would take these over a tf with a remold.  They'd be around the same price with a cable purchase, impressions, shipping, etc... And these would have better resale value as well.

As far as the running price, they are about on the same lines as a used or on sale se535 or a um3x I think?  So I wouldn't say they are priced extremely high...  Especially compared to the big brands?  No?

I dunno... I'm a noob still, so I obviously shouldn't be getting too much into this... 

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #174 of 4,383
Quote:
Was curious and tried to check out at the Apple Store. It says delivery by Sept 4-5 with Next day shipping.

I called Apple and they said it'll be available in Apple Stores in Sept. 10. But online it might take 1-2 weeks for stocks to arrive. 

I got confused by all that. I definitely think it'll ship out and come either on the 4th or 5th.

If I wasn't getting the upcoming "Rumored" iPhone, then I might consider this... :frowning2:

iPhone is not rumored...  Speculation on it is...  A new iPhone is basically guaranteed every year with some sort of upgrade (physical) annually. 

Lol was too sleepy.. What I meant was the upcoming iPhone.. Not rumored.. That was plain dumb of me.. Hahaha.

Been a longtime Apple user and I just made a rookie mistake once again.. :)

Tapatalk.

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #176 of 4,383
Wait a few years and the 900s will drop in price to.  When it does, we'll be comparing 10-20 dollars...  All the reviews that stated it was overpriced because it was MSRP will become invalidated?  I think not. 

You compare its MSRP with others MSRP (even if it's the same company).  Like saying the TF10 is a much better value at 170 over the AtomicFloyd Superdarts because the AFS costs 300 is a major flawed statement.  The Atomic Floyd may eventually drop in price like the TF10 did. Please note IDK if the TF10 does sound better than the SuperDarts, it's just an example. 

Ok maybe true but some people are actually trying to buy headphones :rolleyes: and not just speculate about their hypothetical value at some unknown point in the near distant future...

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #177 of 4,383
Don't care for the shure swivel cables.  Owned 2 pairs of SE535's and had intermitent static issues with both and it sounds like poster above had same issues out of box on UE900.  Kiss of death.  It's a gimmick.  They are attached to your ears, you don't need swivel cables.

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #178 of 4,383
Quote:
This looks really interesting -- and a good fight against the Heir 4.Ai. Too bad the Heir looks a lot better (it's the wood...)

Hmm, I haven't decided which one looks better... :) And for me, the determining factor will be sound signature... I'll see what reviewers on here say about how they stack up against eachother. 

Heir 4.ai vs UE 900's -- should be a pretty interesting comparison :)

So far we know both IEM's do:

1x high
1x mid
2x low

And of course, having read the Heir 4.ai reviews, they seem to have a very balanced/neutral sound signature that's right between warm and analytical.
I wonder how the UE 900's will perform. :)  

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #179 of 4,383
Quote:
Ok maybe true but some people are actually trying to buy headphones
rolleyes.gif
and not just speculate about their hypothetical value at some unknown point in the near distant future...

I'll give you this one.  My statement I was trying to say was that it would be unfair to say that the UE900 doesn't sound 230 dollars better than the UE TF10 (reason I referenced the person who said the Amperior was crap compared to the HD25II because the slight improvement wasn't a justified 170 dollars or something).  I just don't want another one of those things happening (EG, a good headphone/IEM getting bashed because it's new and at MSRP instead of a lower street price; street price will always come).

Quote:

Hmm, I haven't decided which one looks better... :) And for me, the determining factor will be sound signature... I'll see what reviewers on here say about how they stack up against eachother. 

Heir 4.ai vs UE 900's -- should be a pretty interesting comparison :)

So far we know both IEM's do:

1x high
1x mid
2x low

And of course, having read the Heir 4.ai reviews, they seem to have a very balanced/neutral sound signature that's right between warm and analytical.
I wonder how the UE 900's will perform. :)  

Westone W4: 1 high, 1 mid, 2 low (I think, the mid might be a full); Sony XBA-4/iP: 1 high, 2 low, 1 full...  Two other IEMs with quads.  I only have one of these on hand to compare to a shiny pair of 9s when they get here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back