Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #153 of 4,383
Sorry for getting off topic guys lol then again there are no impressions yet anyways :). Would love to hear some comparisons between the MDR-7550s however.

Aug 31, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #154 of 4,383
I don't know why, but I am strangely attracted to this iem.  I am very seriously considering it, but honestly, I hate paying retail and wonder who else will be selling these and how soon? It be great if earphonesolutions were to sell them:smile: .

The 3rd anniv. Studio is kicking *****, I love it!

Edit: I was going through the check out at the apple store, but they don't offer paypal:xf_eek:
My wife would KILL me if she sees this on my Bank Statement!...I keep my Head-Fi budget on my Paypal account:ph34r:

I don't have this problem, but I don't live in USA :frowning2:

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #155 of 4,383
heeh
i have the UE700 and to be honest I think that was overpriced and the build quality was a bit crappy.......
(chrome coating wore off, cable near plug broke, had to replace the plug)
don't know if i want this one or not ._. 
cool design though !

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #156 of 4,383
I am very interested in these.

But I will wait for impressions and reviews and possibly wait until my bonus next year before shelling out for these or whatever seems to fit my musical preferences the best. My list is getting long though...

UE900
Heir Audio 4.Ai
IE800
Sony MDR-1R
Sennheiser Momentum
VSonic GR08

I need to win the lottery just so I can buy them all LOL.

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #157 of 4,383
Was curious and tried to check out at the Apple Store. It says delivery by Sept 4-5 with Next day shipping.

I called Apple and they said it'll be available in Apple Stores in Sept. 10. But online it might take 1-2 weeks for stocks to arrive. 

I got confused by all that. I definitely think it'll ship out and come either on the 4th or 5th.

If I wasn't getting the upcoming "Rumored" iPhone, then I might consider this... :frowning2:

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #158 of 4,383
I ordered yesterday with overnight shipping and it's on the truck today for delivery.  They came from Tennessee I think and I'm in MN.  I'm at work so I'll be able to listen to them, but not really compare them to anything... especially since I just have the tf's and she3580 to compare them to... 

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #159 of 4,383
Loking forward to your impressions and comparisons archercat...

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #161 of 4,383
Quote:
Was curious and tried to check out at the Apple Store. It says delivery by Sept 4-5 with Next day shipping.

I called Apple and they said it'll be available in Apple Stores in Sept. 10. But online it might take 1-2 weeks for stocks to arrive. 

I got confused by all that. I definitely think it'll ship out and come either on the 4th or 5th.

If I wasn't getting the upcoming "Rumored" iPhone, then I might consider this... :frowning2:

iPhone is not rumored...  Speculation on it is...  A new iPhone is basically guaranteed every year with some sort of upgrade (physical) annually. 

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #162 of 4,383
Got them... I can't really take pics here, but the box has a similar to Beats... LOL...  There is a cardboard sleeve... then a nice black hard box that has a blue ribbon to open the flap to reveal the earphones and their jewelry type box.  

The earphones themselves look just as nice as the pictures... The black faceplates are glossy and attract fingerprints easily enough.  The main body is that same color blue but more translucent than the triples.  you can see the drivers etc... The body and faceplates are glued or epoxied together, hopefully they don't decide to split.  The bore is totally different, one larger hole with a metal sound tube flush up to the tip and then a second super small hole next to it.  The connectors are as similar to what I had on my Shure's as they can be.  They are difficult but not impossible to snap off and can spin around.  When I first put them in there was some static when I moved the right earpiece around, but after a unsnap and a re-snap I have not been able to reproduce it. The little curve they have where they connect is nice, similar to the new design of the UE Customs.  

To me, and I'm just listening to 256 through my iphone, it sounds similar to the triple.fi.  In terms of bass, I'd say it's about the same from what I've heard, the treble is there too... maybe a tiny tiny bit less, and I can hear more mids, which may explain why I think there might be less treble?  I've never heard the reference monitors, but these sound more energetic than the se425's from what I can remember.  I think they extend farther at both sides of the spectrum against both the se425 and 535 for that matter.  Everything is crystal clear and the soundstage seems as good as the triples if not better.  I'd still say they are slightly V shaped in sound signature for my ears, which is what I like.  I listen to a decent amount of techno/dance and dubstep, along with classical, rock and hiphop and these seem to handle everything well so far.  They are not as bass heavy as the she3580's I have, but when the song calls for it I think the bass is very satisfying.  They also pick up the plucking of an acoustic guitar or the chirp of a finger running the fretboard with every little detail.  I think the tf's did that well, but these do it better if that makes sense...  I don't know if there's a category; "How well it picks up random noises"lol.

My favorite part is the fit.  I didn't have that much trouble getting a good seal with the triples, but these are in another league.  They are pretty tiny compared to the triples, and still smaller than I remember any of the shures to be.  They fit flush to the ear, so sleeping on your side or something won't be an issue.  They are also much lighter, I can barely tell they are in there. The memory wire isn't as stiff, so getting it to curve closely around my ear still takes a bit of work, I'm sure over a bit of time I'll get it to follow my ear better.  They don't fit any deeper than my tf's did, but I was able to get them in pretty deep before... they do create more of a seal for me, and I actually have to work harder to remove them form my ear, lol.

So far I am happy with my purchase.  

I know I don't a ton of info, but I can try to answer anything you guys want.  They are the best I have heard without a doubt for my tastes. 

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #163 of 4,383
To me, and I'm just listening to 256 through my iphone, it sounds similar to the triple.fi.  In terms of bass, I'd say it's about the same from what I've heard, the treble is there too... maybe a tiny tiny bit less, and I can hear more mids, which may explain why I think there might be less treble?  I've never heard the reference monitors, but these sound more energetic than the se425's from what I can remember.  I think they extend farther at both sides of the spectrum against both the se425 and 535 for that matter.  Everything is crystal clear and the soundstage seems as good as the triples if not better.  I'd still say they are slightly V shaped in sound signature for my ears, which is what I like.

Thanks for the impressions.  Glad they seem to be what you're looking for, too.

You mentioned the UE900's mids are more upfront than the treble.. yet they seem to have a 'v-shaped' response (enhanced bass & treble fq w/ recessed mids).  I'm not sure I understand as those two impressions seem contradictory.  If it's the former, I sense these might be closer to the Shure sound signature (bass is slightly enhanced, mids are upfront, and treble is set back (in relation to the midrange)).  If it's the latter, it seems closer to the TF.10 sound signature.

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #164 of 4,383
Quote:

Thanks for the impressions.  Glad they seem to be what you're looking for, too.

You mentioned the UE900's mids are more upfront than the treble.. yet they seem to have a 'v-shaped' response (enhanced bass & treble fq w/ recessed mids).  I'm not sure I understand as those two impressions seem contradictory.  If it's the former, I sense these might be closer to the Shure sound signature (bass is slightly enhanced, mids are upfront, and treble is set back (in relation to the midrange)).  If it's the latter, it seems closer to the TF.10 sound signature.

Oh my bad... I meant to say the mids seem a little more upfront relative to the tf's, which might explain why I think these have a very very slight decrease in treble.  Don't get me wrong though, even as I think the mids are a little more present, to me it still has a slight boost to me in the bass and treble.  I'm hearing still a slight v sound sig.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back