Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10 Durability
Sep 17, 2012 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Aydindurantas

New Head-Fier
I was thinking of purchasing the UE TripleFi 10's and I was just concerned if they are a durable pair of IEMs. Is the cable really as bad as I hear they are? How durable are the comply buds? They would be my first good pair of IEMs. My current ones are the Bose IE2. How do these compare to those? How are the UE TripleFi 10s for rock and metal? Thanks in advance for your answers!!

Also, do these stick out a lot when in your ears?

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:
I was thinking of purchasing the UE TripleFi 10's and I was just concerned if they are a durable pair of IEMs. Is the cable really as bad as I hear they are? How durable are the comply buds? They would be my first good pair of IEMs. My current ones are the Bose IE2. How do these compare to those? How are the UE TripleFi 10s for rock and metal? Thanks in advance for your answers!!

I never thought about the cable being an issue in the durable part of things, it sucks for the fact it just tangles easily and seems cheap. I didnt have an issue with how the cable sounded. Of course others will say they did. As for Comply tips, they are going to be an added cost, they just wear out, how long all depends on the person and how often they are used. Best option for getting TF10's IMHO, is wait till Black Friday comes and see if the $95 deal comes back. Then use an option like InEarZ and get customs made. You get away from any issues with durability, you no longer have them stick out like Frankenstein and you can get cool colors. The cable, well that can be replaced at anytime for around $30 and up.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 20
Based mainly off my friends' impressions (a few of them own the TF10):

Is the cable really as bad as I hear they are? 

Yes. Kind of noisy (e.g. you can hear it when it brushes against your shirt) and will likely die on you in a year.

How durable are the comply buds?

Depends. Most of my friends used theirs for 1-3 months max before it started looking gross.
A non-issue though; just buy extras. 

Yes. Unless you have elephant ears, I'll probably be able to see the IEMs when I'm standing directly behind you.
You will never be able to sleep on your side with these. I doubt you can wear a helmet with them too.

Didn't answer the comparison question (vs Bose) because I have never heard the Bose IEM, and neither have my friends. Everyone I know agrees that the TF10 sound good, isolate well, and isn't the best design or build quality. 
Be careful how you handle the IEM itself. The shell is prone to break apart within a year--that's what most of my friends experienced.

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:
I'm not sure how something like InEarZ works. How much does it cost to make the smaller and a different color? Would I have to send them my IEMs? And your saying they do stick out significantly?

They do stick out quite a bit. What you are doing is taking the TF10 and making them into customs that fit your ears. That's what companies like InEarZ does. You send them the TF10, they take them apart and put them in custom molds that fit your ears. No tips ever needed again. Link bellow with info for you. Mine are in the picture below.

http://www.inearz.com/

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 20
Never find TF10's cable to be noisy when wearing them over the ears as intended. It certainly last me well over one year. In fact, my original TF10 cable is still working fine, I only replace it because it gets harden over the years (much like any cable).

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 20
I find the UE's pretty good in durability, that's the IEMs themselves, the cable is hit and miss I have 2 standard cables both come with the L plug, one of them is soft and flexible no problems but has a slight sheen to it, the other is more matt looking and is stiff and slightly springy. I also use their microphoned VI cables which are thinner than the standard ones, but sound wise..............
Comply earbuds are great, but do not stand up for durabilty, I prefer JVC / Shure Olive foams they last for much longer and offer the near the same comfort as Comps.

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
Never find TF10's cable to be noisy when wearing them over the ears as intended. It certainly last me well over one year. In fact, my original TF10 cable is still working fine, I only replace it because it gets harden over the years (much like any cable).

Just saw your post. How bothersome is the fact that they stick out significantly? 

Also would the custom cable on logitech ue's website fit these?

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 20
I does stick out more than most IEMs but its still an IEM (not that large). Yes the UE custom cables fit (both Pre and Post 9/2010). I have had my TF10 for 2 years they are by far the most heavily used headphone in my inventory and they are still fine zero issues. I used the stock cable for 1 year and I just had enough of its crappiness so I decided to buy a post 9/2010 UE customs cable, my original cable still works though.
Quote:
Just saw your post. How bothersome is the fact that they stick out significantly? 

Also would the custom cable on logitech ue's website fit these?

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
I does stick out more than most IEMs but its still an IEM (not that large). Yes the UE custom cables fit (both Pre and Post 9/2010). I have had my TF10 for 2 years they are by far the most heavily used headphone in my inventory and they are still fine zero issues. I used the stock cable for 1 year and I just had enough of its crappiness so I decided to buy a post 9/2010 UE customs cable, my original cable still works though.

Thanks very much for your help. I'm gonna order the TF10s tomorrow and put in an order for a custom cable. I don't think i'll regret my decisions. 

Thanks for everyones help too. I'm also going to look into InEarZ. Anymore input on anything especially my question regarding the sound comparability to the Bose IE2s is warmly welcome. Thanks!!

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #15 of 20
Do you even have them all the way in? I have never seen them stick out that far.
To OP like it was mentioned above amazon has had the TF10 on sale for Black Friday for 2 years straight you may want to wait for that. 

I dunno, you'd have to ask the person in the photo. :wink: They don't quite protrude that far with my pair. Outcomes may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back