Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Earphones for $99 at Amazon!
Dec 21, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #1,128 of 1,260
UPS just dropped mine off.

I tried the silicon tips that were on them first. I was able to get a decent seal but they weren't too comfy.

I then swapped over to the small Complys. Much better comfort.

I noticed something about the fit. Looking in a mirror, I can see the UE logo on the right ear, but just the "e" on the left. This falls in line with my inability to use the stock Apple buds. I can never get the right side to stay put, all I have to do is breathe for it to fall out.

Man do these sound good. Right out of my little Shuffle Metallica's "Whiskey in the Jar" is really jamming. Gladys Knight & the Pips "Midnight Train to Georgia" and Don Henley's "Boys of Summer" were a couple of other highlights.

Reading other opinions of the TF10's had me a bit worried if the bass was going to satisfy. It does. It's not a bassy IEM, but I'm hearing all the bottom end, with nice volume and texture. The treble is also very smooth sounding but symbols and tambourines still shimmer
I'm so glad I'm a newb to upper-end IEMs and don't have any real frame of reference, because these are really nice sounding to me. If the mids are recessed in comparison to other IEMs, I'll just have to take other, more experienced users word for it.

EDIT: This is pretty cool. The TF10's, the little cleaning tool and my iPod Shuffle all fit in the case. Nice.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #1,129 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, they sound really good. Fit sucks though.

Agreed. I couldn't deal with the static in my integrated soundcard any more so I grabbed my iPod and Cmoy and it sounds amazing. Either I got used to the huge bass, or the bass has tightened and treble has come out since first opening it a little while ago. But yeah the fit is kind of obnoxious. I used the SF5 Pro for several years but they broke so I used my backup IEMs (SE310) and I got spoiled by the fit of the Shures. No worries though, since I will be sending these in to Fisher in a few days. You too, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh lol. Yeah, but the 8GB's quite a bit slower browsing and opening apps. I've owned both and wouldn't touch an 8GB w/ it's slow cpu/gpu. If it sounds as boring as the 2nd Gen iPod touch, well, that's another bummer.

I haven't paid attention to any new iPod stuff since I got my 5.5 Gen a few years ago. I had no idea that the 8GB was so inferior to the other models. Always learning something new..
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #1,130 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No worries though, since I will be sending these in to Fisher in a few days. You too, right?

Yeah, but only send them in next 2 weeks.

I'm listening to Emmy Rossum's "Inside Out" album out of the iTouch and having a nice, relaxing sound.

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #1,132 of 1,260
Finally got them about half an hour ago. First impressions: A little tricky to put on, but that's probably because I've never used them before. ER4 was just as tricky the first couple of times. Much more comfortable than the ER4 with the stock tips, whereas I've been messing around with the ER4s for months now changing and modding tips to little avail. Seal is merely adequate, but there's finally some bass to speak of. Listening to the first few lines of Kind of Blue was absolutely torture with ER4s because of the tight but quiet bass. EQing merely made things sound distorted when I listened to more modern music where the bass is exaggerated. The Triple Fi actually sound like my studio monitors at home. So far, I'm very happy. Definitely worth the wait.

EDIT: On further comparison, these are no match for the ER4s when listening to classical or choral music. But that's OK with me, because I turn to that music only on rare occasions.

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #1,133 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudohippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking of getting a Touch but gee wiz, you folks calling them the iTouch is making me not want one. I'm sure glad apple didn't decide to call it the iTouch.

biggrin.gif
haha

I've been vacillating between the touch and the Zune HD. Sure it doesn't have as many apps as the touch but its got a radio tuner and more space for the same if not lesser price.

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #1,134 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what I posted that made you think that I ordered a "hommemade kit", but what I ordered comes from a reputable business that specializes in custom ear products. My research into this revealed that making your own impressions is a safe and quite common practice.
Granted I don't have experience in this but I do have some common sense and I won't do anything that I feel will likely put my health at risk. And if the technicians at Fisher tell me that my impressions won't work, I'll simply go to an audiologists office and pay their fee.

What I meant by "homemade" was that you will be making your impressions at home. I'm not questioning the quality of your kit. The materials involved really aren't that complex-2 pieces of silicone, some foam, and a syringe. That's not the dangerous part.

You do what ever you want to do. It's your ears/hearing. I was just giving you some information that you may not have uncovered when you researched. I thought about a home kit, but figured I would rather have someone with professional training and experience play inside my ears.

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #1,136 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by a.dickens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I meant by "homemade" was that you will be making your impressions at home. I'm not questioning the quality of your kit. The materials involved really aren't that complex-2 pieces of silicone, some foam, and a syringe. That's not the dangerous part.

You do what ever you want to do. It's your ears/hearing. I was just giving you some information that you may not have uncovered when you researched. I thought about a home kit, but figured I would rather have someone with professional training and experience play inside my ears.

Thanks for your advice. It never hurts to have a second (or third, or fourth...) opinion.

After reading about other Head-Fiers experiences and doing a little looking, it just seems to me that this doesn't look that tough to do correctly. And by the way, my roommate is a registered nurse and I would trust her with procedures far more complex than this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back