Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Earphones for $99 at Amazon!
Dec 9, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #751 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they are not fake.

so why they so cheap???

maybe i can buy one if there's no official special version at the end of this year......
thank you!!!

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #752 of 1,260
Why do these go so cheap? Refurbed Triple Fi 10?
My friend got a hold of Super Fi 5pro for 250$ and is bragging how good a deal that was..

Is it actually possible to get these (authentic) for less than 150$? Are there any special conditions except from being in America?

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #753 of 1,260
A few days ago (Dec 4th) Amazon and Logitech were having a massive sale for TF10. These went for sale for US$99 and $150 with US$50 rebate (Dec 6th to Dec 8th). These sold very quickly and quite a lot of people missed the chance to buy one...oh only US people can purchase them...not even Canadians can buy from Amazon, luckily I have a cousin in US who can accept the delivery

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #754 of 1,260
There has to be a reason they are selling these for so cheap. Could be several reasons....refurbs like people have mentioned, or maybe they're coming out with a new line and want to dump their old inventory during the holidays when they'll sell more easily. Either way, I'm curious.

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #755 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreadful /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well got mine today when I first plugged them in the left channel was not working messed with them a bit and it started working so I thought it was my iphone case. After listening to them for a while the left channel went out again come to find out that the cable has a short or something in the plastic piece where the left and right channel split. Now I have to decide if I should deal with amazon support or just buy a replacement cable. I have the vi model if anyone have suggestions on aftermarket cables.

Update Called Amazon im going to get a replacement but it wont arive until Dec 22 (kinda kills the point of having amazon prime when they do normal shipping to them and one day back to me) Still happy I ordered them though.

why not call Logitech UE? they'll probably be able to send out a cable the next day.

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #756 of 1,260
On the capitalism debate- and this is in the interest of economics, not argument
smily_headphones1.gif

They are still on Amazon (sporadically) and people were buying them up until the time the deal expired. I'm not entirely sure why--perhaps someone had to cancel an order, perhaps Amazon updated their stock--regardless, I think most of those who were dedicated enough ("stood in line" so to speak) were able to get them by refreshing the page until a pair was a available. I was writing a paper two nights ago with the window auto-refreshing and managed to snatch a pair, and I know others who did the same.

For everyone else, the people who snatched a pair now have plenty extras and can pass the deal on. Will they make a profit? Sure, but keep in mind that they have to go through the hassle of filling out the rebate and such. Furthermore, we don't know how the potential price war will play out. If 10 people each ordered 10 headphones to resell, that's 100 headphones that will be flooding the market in a few weeks, and that could drive prices down quite a bit. No promises, but shortly after Christmas I wouldn't be surprised to see them reselling on the Amazon marketplace for under $150.

Finally, you've got to look at who's to blame here. The "douchebags" who snatched them up to resell were taking advantage of an opportunity that was presented to them by Amazon/Logitech. If they didn't take advantage of it someone else would've. Amazon, on the other hand, could've easily put a cap on the deal, limiting people to 1, 2, or 3 pair (in fact the Logitech rebate is limited to 3 pair). Their motivation was not fairness so much as selling a bunch of headphones. Sure, they'd prefer that the deal reach as wide an audience as possible in the interest of fairness, but their own profit motive took priority over what an outside observer may (or may not) consider fair. Do you blame the person who took advantage of the deal in a competitive market (knowing that someone else would've) or the only part of the chain that could've put a stop to it?

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #757 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There has to be a reason they are selling these for so cheap. Could be several reasons....refurbs like people have mentioned, or maybe they're coming out with a new line and want to dump their old inventory during the holidays when they'll sell more easily. Either way, I'm curious.

only 1 person has mentioned refurbs, and I'm pretty sure Amazon and Logitech are not trying to sneak refurbs as brand New.

do you know what headphones are made of? there isn't gold or anything valuable in there. it isn't even diffcult to make. The markup is HUGE.

Most likely is clearing out the old inventory, and pushing out a new model soon.

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #758 of 1,260
You know, there is always the possibility that it's simply a great sale. Yesterday, Amazon had all five seasons of Lost on sale on Blu-Ray for $103 total. It's usually something like $369 list or something like that. I doubt they're doing a whole lot more to the Blu-Ray editions of Lost. They kind of are what they are.

Sometimes, a sale is just a sale.

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #759 of 1,260
Quote:

Amazon had all five seasons of Lost on sale on Blu-Ray for $103 total.

I couldn't even watch 2 episodes, if this was the US I'd probably have a gun and have shot myself by now, probably by shooting each body part first then finally blowing my brains out, rather than watching 5 seasons of Lost.

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #760 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by eocthermos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the capitalism debate- and this is in the interest of economics, not argument
smily_headphones1.gif

They are still on Amazon (sporadically) and people were buying them up until the time the deal expired. I'm not entirely sure why--perhaps someone had to cancel an order, perhaps Amazon updated their stock--regardless, I think most of those who were dedicated enough ("stood in line" so to speak) were able to get them by refreshing the page until a pair was a available. I was writing a paper two nights ago with the window auto-refreshing and managed to snatch a pair, and I know others who did the same.

For everyone else, the people who snatched a pair now have plenty extras and can pass the deal on. Will they make a profit? Sure, but keep in mind that they have to go through the hassle of filling out the rebate and such. Furthermore, we don't know how the potential price war will play out. If 10 people each ordered 10 headphones to resell, that's 100 headphones that will be flooding the market in a few weeks, and that could drive prices down quite a bit. No promises, but shortly after Christmas I wouldn't be surprised to see them reselling on the Amazon marketplace for under $150.

Finally, you've got to look at who's to blame here. The "douchebags" who snatched them up to resell were taking advantage of an opportunity that was presented to them by Amazon/Logitech. If they didn't take advantage of it someone else would've. Amazon, on the other hand, could've easily put a cap on the deal, limiting people to 1, 2, or 3 pair (in fact the Logitech rebate is limited to 3 pair). Their motivation was not fairness so much as selling a bunch of headphones. Sure, they'd prefer that the deal reach as wide an audience as possible in the interest of fairness, but their own profit motive took priority over what an outside observer may (or may not) consider fair. Do you blame the person who took advantage of the deal in a competitive market (knowing that someone else would've) or the only part of the chain that could've put a stop to it?

Excellent analysis. Your key point that some seem to have missed is there are no guarantees that the TF10s will fetch much more than $50 over the Amazon/Logitech price, so pricing gouging isn't really an issue (as one member claimed in an earlier post with his comment about "hefty mark ups"). So there is a risk factor, albeit small (you can always sell them for $129) and it could take 1-2 months before anyone buying multiple pairs will recoup their costs. You point on Amazon capping per household orders is also a good one. They knew full well some would buy more than 1-2 pair and resell them, on Amazon, ebay, wherever. Wasn't in their interest. Selling TF10s at a very, very low price to generate buzz was their goal, and it worked, at least on HF.

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #761 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by eocthermos /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Amazon did have a limit for the Goldbox deal. 3 pairs of each version per account.

Now that doesn't mean its hard to get around it. I literally have a dozen or so amazon accounts since the same email with a different password creates a new account (work makes me change passwords very frequently).

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #762 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoganT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have a Nintendo Wii, never wanted one. Good impression though, I guess.

Uh okay, I wasn't expecting that reaction. I didn't think someone would get that upset, which say's something to me. I'm not denying that this is Capitalism or denying that Capitalism is great.

I don't think that the people buying multiple pairs are the reason why it went out so fast. I should also point out that I was able to snatch one for 100 dollars, so it's not like I have some kind of beef. Do they have every right to do this? Absolutely. I estimate about 11 to 12 people who are selling the TF10's on Amazon who bought it for 100 dollars and probably a lot more on eBay.

175 dollars is a great deal, as is 375 dollars, now that the price is back up. But you know what's an even better deal? 100 dollars. I've only had a couple of high end earphones and have spent no more than 110 dollars. A 400 dollar earphone would have never crossed my mind to buy. I haven't received them yet, but who knows maybe I'll get them and now I can't accept anything less.

Disclaimer: This isn't some kind of experience I had, just thoughts.

To go back to the game console analogy I made earlier: Imagine a new console from Sony or Microsoft has just come out and you have a nephew or son who really wants it for Christmas. You get up really really early, and wait in line for hours and when you get to the front, the guy at Best Buy tells you they are sold out. It's sold out everywhere. So eBay is now the only place that you can get it. However lucky for you they are now 3-4 times the original MSRP price. Guess who's not getting the Christmas present he wanted? You don't think that's even a little bit douchey?

The point I'm trying to make here is, there are people on here and elsewhere who would of loved to get these earphones at that great price. And maybe Ultimate Ears would gotten a loyal customer (you know the company that worked hard to get where they are through Capitalism). I apologize if this sounds over dramatic, but it's late and I don't care to argue, especially on a forum that I really enjoy.

And maybe I'm a little upset because they are part of the reason why I and others will not be receiving them for a little while.

So calling someone an a-hole by inference is an even-tempered, fair reaction? You didn't want to argue?

Again, as we tell our kids, life isn't always fair. Not getting the Xmas present they wanted? Is that what this is all about?

In this case, and for all the reasons outlined above by eocthermos, this is hardly a case of someone buying up stock so no one else can get them and then selling the merchandise at hyper-inflated prices. As noted, the price on Amazon and ebay is dropping already - a classic case of supply and demand, true capitalism. Those of us who bought 4-5 pair to resell to cut the cost of the pair or two we keep took a risk, to some extent. The sale certainly devalued the price of the TF10, at least for now. And it might have even killed the model (non-vi) since no one will like the idea of paying $399 for the TF10 ever again.

No, this situation is not analogous to cabbage patch doll or Nintendo Wii hoarding that takes place now and again. Not even close.

I guess if you didn't want to argue, you should have considered your words more before you posted.

Finally, you are annoyed because you have to wait longer to get the cheap TF10s you ordered? Man, you really want it all.

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #763 of 1,260
I fuggin love that show.

EDIT: I ordered a total of 11 pairs from both Logitech and Amazon. How many am I keeping? None. I already got a pair. I plan to wait several months until I can sell them for almost $300 a pop... now, shut up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back