Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review
Jan 6, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #496 of 733
Nice! The UERM is a very nice sounding custom. My V6 Stage and JH13 have been in and out due to refits (annoying thing those refits are) and been using the UERM the last few weeks. It almost makes me wonder why I bought those other two customs :p Mine doesn't fit as well anymore (or it could have been it never did fit all that well) but I think I'll get a refit done sometime soon and in the meantime I can change to a flush connector and change the colors :) I have the default version with the clear shells and black faceplate with the UE and Capitol Studios logo on them.

Also I got the Concero HP today and tried the pairing and they sound very good. Any other small desktop dac/amp that would be a good pairing with the UERM?

Haha, the eternal question around here.

I actually had a listen to the JH13FP demo for a bit after placing my order. It's a really really good IEM. There's obviously personal preference at this point but if I did it all over again, I would still get the UERM.

I hope the Geek will be a good pairing.

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #497 of 733
  Also I got the Concero HP today and tried the pairing and they sound very good. Any other small desktop dac/amp that would be a good pairing with the UERM?

Nice! The Concero HP and UERM play very, very nicely together. The HP's great sub-bas articulation really makes up for the roll-off characteristics of the UERM (which, BTW, is sort of an "intentional flaw" in that the UERM is tuned to replicate the sound of a studio near-field monitor like the Yamaha NS10, which would have the same kind of roll-off as well --- it was designed for Capitol personnel to mix on the go and still have the same kind of studio feel, so whatever "flaws" are in their mixing system, they're in the UERM as well, unfortunately). The two together take the word "resolution" to a whole new level, without sacrificing dynamics. The lower-end Resonessence Herus is actually a pretty good combination with the UERM as well, but the UERM picks up hiss with the Herus (tried it via iPad & CCK), as opposed to being dead silent with the HP (regardless of source). People are saying really great things about the Leckerton UHA760 w/AD4627-1B ARZ being super silent and low-gain friendly, but I've never heard any of the Leckertons myself.

I actually had a listen to the JH13FP demo for a bit after placing my order. It's a really really good IEM. There's obviously personal preference at this point but if I did it all over again, I would still get the UERM.

The JH13FP is definitely the "technically superior" IEM, but it has an aggressive tuning that, to me, makes me not want to listen to them for more than a single song at a time. The UERM, on the other hand, is decidedly more laid-back in presentation, so it would stay in my ears much longer. I'd actually guess that the Roxanne has less aggressive treble than the JH13FP, which would mean that if they introduced a simpler variant of the Roxanne (whatever she'd be named) without that silly bass knob and a JH13-like signature, it'd probably be better than the current JH13FP.

I hope the Geek Out will be a good pairing as well --- my intention is to hook it up to the Sony NWZ-F886 with this cable, to make it a super low-profile rig. I'm only afraid that the battery will run out too quickly on the F886, or if it won't be able to provide enough current to the Geek Out, which is why I'm considering the yet-to-be-kickstarted Geek Out Mini, which is supposed to either draw much less current (lower power delivery, single output, and no crossfeed) to be iDevice-compatible (<200 mA) like the Herus, and might actually have a variant that includes its own battery source. I'd happily trade out the Geek Out for one of these "Mini" models if they really do include these features.

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #498 of 733
  ...Leckerton UHA760 w/AD4627-1B ARZ being super silent and low-gain friendly, but I've never heard any of the Leckertons myself.

...my intention is to hook it up to the Sony NWZ-F886 with this cable, to make it a super low-profile rig.

The Leckerton 760 with the AD4627 "1B" (BRZ version) opamps is my current favorite.  Haven't heard the Tralucent T1 amp yet...maybe at the next meet?

Hmmm, will that cable allow a standalone ODAC to be used with the Sony?

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #499 of 733
Haha, the eternal question around here.

Interesting,
because the JH13FP Demo I heard sounded surprisingly thin, I don't know if that's is specific to that unit.
Technically that 13FP unit is not really better than the IERM Demo along side it IMO.

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #500 of 733
The JH13fp is defintitely not thin sounding. It has more overall bass quantity and a fuller note than the UERM universal (not demo) I spent a week with.

The JH13 demo I tried was very difficult to get a perfect seal, so I was a little surprised by the bass quantity when my custom arrived.

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #501 of 733
Nice! The Concero HP and UERM play very, very nicely together. The HP's great sub-bas articulation really makes up for the roll-off characteristics of the UERM (which, BTW, is sort of an "intentional flaw" in that the UERM is tuned to replicate the sound of a studio near-field monitor like the Yamaha NS10, which would have the same kind of roll-off as well --- it was designed for Capitol personnel to mix on the go and still have the same kind of studio feel, so whatever "flaws" are in their mixing system, they're in the UERM as well, unfortunately). The two together take the word "resolution" to a whole new level, without sacrificing dynamics. The lower-end Resonessence Herus is actually a pretty good combination with the UERM as well, but the UERM picks up hiss with the Herus (tried it via iPad & CCK), as opposed to being dead silent with the HP (regardless of source). People are saying really great things about the Leckerton UHA760 w/AD4627-1B ARZ being super silent and low-gain friendly, but I've never heard any of the Leckertons myself.

The JH13FP is definitely the "technically superior" IEM, but it has an aggressive tuning that, to me, makes me not want to listen to them for more than a single song at a time. The UERM, on the other hand, is decidedly more laid-back in presentation, so it would stay in my ears much longer. I'd actually guess that the Roxanne has less aggressive treble than the JH13FP, which would mean that if they introduced a simpler variant of the Roxanne (whatever she'd be named) without that silly bass knob and a JH13-like signature, it'd probably be better than the current JH13FP.

I hope the Geek Out will be a good pairing as well --- my intention is to hook it up to the Sony NWZ-F886 with this cable, to make it a super low-profile rig. I'm only afraid that the battery will run out too quickly on the F886, or if it won't be able to provide enough current to the Geek Out, which is why I'm considering the yet-to-be-kickstarted Geek Out Mini, which is supposed to either draw much less current (lower power delivery, single output, and no crossfeed) to be iDevice-compatible (<200 mA) like the Herus, and might actually have a variant that includes its own battery source. I'd happily trade out the Geek Out for one of these "Mini" models if they really do include these features.

Interestingly and oddly, I both agree and disagree about the JH13FP. I felt the JH was more laid back for the most part. It was more etched, vs the more liquid UERM, but the image positioning was generally more benign in using the term aggressive. The UERM was way more forward. The JH also had smaller denser images that were less "in your face." I heard it as slightly more U-shaped. It was a bit more detailed, maybe a bit more precise, but the presentation was so different that it's hard to really say for me.

But to say it's definitely the technically better IEM... I dunno, maybe. A big strike against it for me was headroom for dynamics. Which is more important to me than the lower end of the range. So it couldn't hit powerful with enough relative force. Please excuse the phone finger doodle but this is kind of what I mean:

Interesting,
because the JH13FP Demo I heard sounded surprisingly thin, I don't know if that's is specific to that unit.
Technically that 13FP unit is not really better than the IERM Demo along side it IMO.

Mixed up quotes? I think you meant Tom?

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #502 of 733
Hi, I'm new on this board. But I've been reading alot, so kind of a stalker. :wink:

After alot of reading and thinking, I decided to go for the UE IERM as my first custom in ear when I saw this thread. I really hope they live up to the stories here and the general idea of what it would sound like. Unfortunately for you guys I can't compare it to other customs but I will still share my experience with them.

I still have the molds to be taken, but it's actually nice since they come to do it at my home at no additional cost. Rest is to pick a color. :wink:

I plan to use them for some reference when mixing music, but also for listening and judging other mixes and just some normal listening.

I'm excited. :)

Oh yes and of course average_joe thanks for the review!

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #503 of 733
I just got my UERM today. Now this is exactly what I was looking for after selling my HD800 (regrettably — it was too cumbersome for me). It's not the same, but it's the reference sound signature I've been craving since. As you may be able to tell, my early impressions are excellent; they've wowed me more than any other IEM on first listen.

Also, I couldn't recommend ordering from CEETEE more. He's the man.

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #504 of 733
I just got my UERM today. Now this is exactly what I was looking for after selling my HD800 (regrettably — it was too cumbersome for me). It's not the same, but it's the reference sound signature I've been craving since. As you may be able to tell, my early impressions are excellent; they've wowed me more than any other IEM on first listen.

Also, I couldn't recommend ordering from CEETEE more. He's the man.

He definitely is.

Mine are on their way to me as I speak, across the country :D, 10 days from receipt of impressions to getting it out the door. Fantastic turnaround time if you ask me. Another +1 for the UE team!

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #505 of 733
  Interestingly and oddly, I both agree and disagree about the JH13FP. I felt the JH was more laid back for the most part. It was more etched, vs the more liquid UERM, but the image positioning was generally more benign in using the term aggressive. The UERM was way more forward. The JH also had smaller denser images that were less "in your face." I heard it as slightly more U-shaped. It was a bit more detailed, maybe a bit more precise, but the presentation was so different that it's hard to really say for me.

But to say it's definitely the technically better IEM... I dunno, maybe. A big strike against it for me was headroom for dynamics. Which is more important to me than the lower end of the range. So it couldn't hit powerful with enough relative force. Please excuse the phone finger doodle but this is kind of what I mean:

Mixed up quotes? I think you meant Tom?

Looks like you're playing hangman? I get what you mean though. I also both agree and disagree with you, so let's disagree to agree... (not a typo
wink.gif
)

Mine are on their way to me as I speak, across the country
biggrin.gif
, 10 days from receipt of impressions to getting it out the door. Fantastic turnaround time if you ask me. Another +1 for the UE team!

Yep, CEE TEE is a great guy; also congratulations to Mike Dias for becoming UE's new sales director!

AFAIK, UE has the fastest average and absolute (for rush orders) turnaround of any customs lab in the world.

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #506 of 733
Looks like you're playing hangman? I get what you mean though. I also both agree and disagree with you, so let's disagree to agree... (not a typo :wink: )

Yep, CEE TEE is a great guy; also congratulations to Mike Dias for becoming UE's new sales director!

AFAIK, UE has the fastest average and absolute (for rush orders) turnaround of any customs lab in the world.

Haha. I had to reread that after your typo comment. The human brain is an an amazing thing what with the built in autocorrect. (Also not a typo :wink: )

Yes! Saw the email. Congrats to Mike Dias too!

I'm just very impressed with the whole UE Pro team right now.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #507 of 733
Mine are on their way to me as I speak, across the country
biggrin.gif
, 10 days from receipt of impressions to getting it out the door. Fantastic turnaround time if you ask me. Another +1 for the UE team!

Congrats!  They're very very special IEMs.  I can tell you after months of ownership (and daily use), they sound better than ever to my ears now.. and impress every time I use them.  The sound did seem to improve with use, as well.  Initially, they were bright and thin-sounding.. then, they sounded quite midcentric and grainy for a couple of months.. now, they simply sound spectacular.  Grain is gone.. clarity, detail and dynamics are terrific.. they texture better than ever.. and the resolving ability is astounding.

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #508 of 733
Congrats!  They're very very special IEMs.  I can tell you after months of ownership (and daily use), they sound better than ever to my ears now.. and impress every time I use them.  The sound did seem to improve with use, as well.  Initially, they were bright and thin-sounding.. then, they sounded quite midcentric and grainy for a couple of months.. now, they simply sound spectacular.  Grain is gone.. clarity, detail and dynamics are terrific.. they texture better than ever.. and the resolving ability is astounding.

Now end if the week can't come soon enough!

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #509 of 733
I'm strongly considering pulling the trigger on these.  Traditionally I'm a bit more of a bass head, but I've been slowly devolving towards a more neutral stance.  (going from Shure SE 530s, to Triple,fi 10s, to UE 900s)  I'm kinda looking for something with more details than the 900s but perhaps with a tad more bass impact, without increasing bass quantity.  I really like the sound of my Grados bass, (tight punchy quick) as well but obviously am looking for a portable setup.  Has anyone spent a decent amount of time comparing the UERM to the 900's sound?  I'd definitely be willing to give up some bass quantity if they also have a quicker punchier feel in the low end, especially if, like I assume they do, have much greater detail resolution throughout the spectrum.

Normally I'd go for the UE-11's or the JH16's but I'm thinking about getting these because I'm trying to tune my ears towards a more neutral response.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #510 of 733
Hey Joel,
I have the TF.10's and the Reference Monitors are a big step up in detail. You might want to consider coming out to the LA meet up in March. UE will be there. They have a demo universal pair that I heard last year and I was sold in a a couple of minutes. In addition they had an audiologist taking impressions and the show discount made it a no-brainer. I can't promise what they'll do this year, but at least you'll get to try them...
There's also a big advantage to using their audiologist, in that you don't get stuck in a finger pointing match between your audiologist and UE if there's an issue.
Cheers,
Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back