Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors (Capitol Studios Collaboration): Announcement and First Impressions
Oct 23, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #151 of 257
Thanks for the info! I wish I could use that new cable for my 18s. Too bad they aren't compatible with older custom models. I talked to an intern at UE a month or so ago, and they said that their new cables are slightly more durable than their previous model. 

Oct 23, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #153 of 257
Quote:
The new cables look great. It's about time that someone improved on the old Westone/UE/JH design.

Indeed. A design that allows pins to be such an easy prey to humidity and accidents (bending) didn't make much sense to begin with. It's only a matter of time now for Westone and, presumably, JH Audio, to follow suit with something of their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude 

[QUOTE 1]

(I no longer have the beta unit, but my production sample should be arriving very soon.)

[QUOTE 2]

Most of the models of custom IEMs I've heard were designed with mild to more-than-mild bass emphasis.

[QUOTE 3]

Apparently, isolation is also a priority for the studio engineers and producers, as the UE In-Ear Reference Monitor is available with a new material that results in better isolation than any of my other custom in-ear monitors (up to 32 decibels).  This more isolating version is made of a softer material that I also found more comfortable for long listening sessions.  (The backplates are still made of a harder material.)

[QUOTE 4]

If you look at the photos below, you'll also notice that Ultimate Ears came up with a new cable plug type.  When I receive the production sample, I'll take some photos of it, cables on and off, so you can see just how nice this new plug configuration is.

1) Have you received it?

2) Have you tried Westone's ES5?

3) Does the new soft silicone material make the monitors harder to insert? Can you compare comfort and isolation to Westone's vinyl tips?

4) Waiting for it!

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #154 of 257

Quote:

Indeed. A design that allows pins to be such an easy prey to humidity and accidents (bending) didn't make much sense to begin with. It's only a matter of time now for Westone and, presumably, JH Audio, to follow suit with something of their own.

1) Have you received it?

2) Have you tried Westone's ES5?

3) Does the new soft silicone material make the monitors harder to insert? Can you compare comfort and isolation to Westone's vinyl tips?

4) Waiting for it!

Bump for these impressions!

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #155 of 257

well, fwiw I find the 'soft' silicone to be pretty much the same as the 'harder' material commonly used. as for comfort and isolation - it's obvious but nonetheless worth repeating that it depends on the right fit. these are customs, so if the impressions taken of your ears are good, the comfort and isolation will be there. 

that said, for airplane rides I still prefer my trusty old ER4S with soft aftermarket tips - that isolation is still slightly superior, although the comfort does not even come close. I cannot compare custom to custom - but this UE custom I can wear all day long if I feel like it, while even with the plushest tips, the ER4S is not comfy after two hours or so.

Oct 30, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #156 of 257

Quote:
well, fwiw I find the 'soft' silicone to be pretty much the same as the 'harder' material commonly used. as for comfort and isolation - it's obvious but nonetheless worth repeating that it depends on the right fit. these are customs, so if the impressions taken of your ears are good, the comfort and isolation will be there. 

that said, for airplane rides I still prefer my trusty old ER4S with soft aftermarket tips - that isolation is still slightly superior, although the comfort does not even come close. I cannot compare custom to custom - but this UE custom I can wear all day long if I feel like it, while even with the plushest tips, the ER4S is not comfy after two hours or so.

Thanks for your feedback! I wonder why UE advertizes +6dB of isolation for its soft silicone option, compared to its acrylic option. Maybe their acrylic shell is thin (empty) and their silicone shell is thick (full). I sent an email to inquire and received an answer saying -- if I understood correctly, for the email wasn't quite clear -- that someone from the engineering team would get back to me within 90 days. Which seems, uh, a long time to get a real answer.

I'm using the HF5, but none of the tips really fit me. I've got huge ear canals, apparently, which are hard to fill, however far I insert the IEM (i.e. until they disappear). The largest of Shure's black foam tips work fine, but are so hard to remove from the HF5 that I don't dare use them anymore.

I suffer from hyperaccute hearing and basically live with earphones or, more commonly, earplugs, day and night, so I guess I'm just used to the feeling right now -- i.e. if you find acrylic comfortable enough, so should I.

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #158 of 257

Quote:
Jude said something similar. Since then, no news. Is the final product disappointing, or hasn't it reach you yet?

My production set reached me.  They're a little different than the pre-production set I had.  These production ones they made with the standard hard material throughout, as opposed to the soft/hard combo I had before (but I don't think they did that intentionally).  I'm quite used to this configuration, so it's fine with me.  (With the exception of one, all the custom IEMs I have here are of the all-hard variety.)

As for sound:  These are everything I remember the pre-production set to be, and that's a very good thing.  Thankfully, I can say that I'm not noticing anything different about the sound.  I'll say more down the road, but everything I said in my original post (the post that begins this thread) still stands.

UE had a demo set at CanJam @ RMAF, and they went over very well--I don't recall anything but praise for them there, and I wasn't at all surprised.

As for photos of the new plug style, here are some closeup photos (click on a photo for a larger version of it):

I understand that going to this plug/jack design is a break from a standard that is already established; but, frankly, it seems to me to be a substantially better design, in terms of durability and moisture protection, so I hope this becomes the new standard.  I love the bent-back overmold on the plug, too.

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #159 of 257
I ordered my set of UE RM'sand I should recieve them in 8 days. I currently have the jh-5's and absolutely hate them. I am using them as a sound engineer however. They're incredibly muddy and inaccurate. I should have known better though. I'm very much looking forward to getting my new ears. Thanks for all your input in this community.

Nov 4, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #162 of 257
Thank you, Jude, for keeping us updated!

Quote:
These production ones they made with the standard hard material throughout, as opposed to the soft/hard combo I had before (but I don't think they did that intentionally).

Soft/hard combo? Was only the tip soft? Or was the whole shell soft except for the faceplate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(With the exception of one, all the custom IEMs I have here are of the all-hard variety.)

Are you referring to the ES3X? If so, can you compare the comfort and use of insertion of Westone's vinyl tip with whatever it is UE was using in your preproduction IERM?

Quote:
As for sound:  These are everything I remember the pre-production set to be, and that's a very good thing.  Thankfully, I can say that I'm not noticing anything different about the sound.  I'll say more down the road, but everything I said in my original post (the post that begins this thread) still stands.

Interesting.... It means the shell (hard acrylic or soft silicone) has no influence on the sound. So you think this is the top choice for a sound engineer?

Quote:
I understand that going to this plug/jack design is a break from a standard that is already established; but, frankly, it seems to me to be a substantially better design, in terms of durability and moisture protection, so I hope this becomes the new standard.  I love the bent-back overmold on the plug, too.

Thank you for the pictures. As a rule, I like companies to follow the established standard (I hate all the proprietary connectors for cell phone chargers, and was very careful to choose a phone that could be recharged via a standard mini-USB); but in the present case, I very much agree that this change is for the better. As for it becoming the new standard ... I think it depends a lot on UE, if they want to let other companies copy their new connector. I couldn't help but notice that, since last year when it came out, nobody has copied Sensaphonics's nylon screw.

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #163 of 257
Quote:
As a rule, I like companies to follow the established standard (I hate all the proprietary connectors for cell phone chargers, and was very careful to choose a phone that could be recharged via a standard mini-USB); but in the present case, I very much agree that this change is for the better. As for it becoming the new standard ... I think it depends a lot on UE, if they want to let other companies copy their new connector. I couldn't help but notice that, since last year when it came out, nobody has copied Sensaphonics's nylon screw.

Yes, "established standards" present a conundrum here. It is nice to be able to buy a third party cable and then use it on multiple IEMs (or to have a larger market to sell into) but that requirement can stand in the way of inovation. I agrree that improvement is a worthy goal here; the cable connection point is the weakest aspect of the Westone ES5 design IMHO. I say kudos to UE for upping the ante. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #164 of 257

Quote:
Thank you for the pictures. As a rule, I like companies to follow the established standard (I hate all the proprietary connectors for cell phone chargers, and was very careful to choose a phone that could be recharged via a standard mini-USB); but in the present case, I very much agree that this change is for the better. As for it becoming the new standard ... I think it depends a lot on UE, if they want to let other companies copy their new connector. I couldn't help but notice that, since last year when it came out, nobody has copied Sensaphonics's nylon screw.

I would say that the real issue is whether or not other manufacturers will be willing to pay UE licensing fees in order to use UE's patented "innovation" in their own products. Licensing fees are the bane of universal standards.

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #165 of 257
Nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back