Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors (Capitol Studios Collaboration): Announcement and First Impressions
Sep 16, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #91 of 257
^Maybe coz you didn't use this --> ???
etysmile.gif

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #92 of 257
hey, here are two (bad cellphone) snapshots of the UE RM as it arrives in its final shape.

input sensitivity: 98dB SPL @ 1kHz, 50mV
efficiency: 112dB SPL @ 1kHz, 1mW
freq response - 3dB: 21Hz - 15kHz, 10dB: 7Hz - 17kHz
range: 5Hz - 20kHz
impedance: 35 ohm @ 1kHz
isolation: -32dB (silicone)

main differences between the beta version and the final one seem to be that UE finessed the hybrid casing, added the studio logo and their own UE logo, changed the cable, added some adapters, and made the box lighter. - I haven't had a chance to listen yet, had a hell of a week, but once I do, I may get back to you about it.

Sep 18, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #93 of 257

Quote:
Guys:

Please see my review at About.com about this product, including some comparisons to other leading products:

http://homerecording.about.com/od/audiomonitorreviews/fr/Review-Ultimate-Ears-In-Ear-Reference-Monitors.htm

Thanks Joe. This pretty much describes the sound exactly how I had imagined it. Some more in depth comparisons with the JH16 would be nice, although I understand they are different animals.

Quote:
hey, here are two (bad cellphone) snapshots of the UE RM as it arrives in its final shape.

input sensitivity: 98dB SPL @ 1kHz, 50mV
efficiency: 112dB SPL @ 1kHz, 1mW
freq response - 3dB: 21Hz - 15kHz, 10dB: 7Hz - 17kHz
range: 5Hz - 20kHz
impedance: 35 ohm @ 1kHz
isolation: -32dB (silicone)

main differences between the beta version and the final one seem to be that UE finessed the hybrid casing, added the studio logo and their own UE logo, changed the cable, added some adapters, and made the box lighter. - I haven't had a chance to listen yet, had a hell of a week, but once I do, I may get back to you about it.

Cool, thanks for posting. These or the ES5 might be my next pair of IEMs, depending on the sound. I'll keep an eye out for your impressions.

Sep 20, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #94 of 257

Quote:
Guys:

Please see my review at About.com about this product, including some comparisons to other leading products:

http://homerecording.about.com/od/audiomonitorreviews/fr/Review-Ultimate-Ears-In-Ear-Reference-Monitors.htm

I don't understand how they are flat, but have a tame low end response. If they are truly flat, they should offer some pretty good bass extension and slam. Flat means flat, so 20hz should be just as loud as 500... so there should be rumble, slam and all that lovely bass goodness...

If you mean there is a lack of bloat, that is good, but how good are they at rendering lows? This has me worried. The flatness of my LCD-2 is what I like so much about them.

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #95 of 257
Quote:
Guys:

Excellent review. I do wish that you could have compared it to the Westone ES5s as that seems to be a fairly direct competitor in both pricing and (perhaps) sound signature.

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #96 of 257

Quote:

Excellent review. I do wish that you could have compared it to the Westone ES5s as that seems to be a fairly direct competitor in both pricing and (perhaps) sound signature.

Thanks so much for the feedback -- as I haven't heard the ES5, I can't really compare.  My policy is to only review and compare products which I've had ample time to really dig into personally under a variety of situations.  I'll reach out to my contact at Westone and see if I can make that happen.

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #97 of 257

Quote:
Thanks so much for the feedback -- as I haven't heard the ES5, I can't really compare.  My policy is to only review and compare products which I've had ample time to really dig into personally under a variety of situations.  I'll reach out to my contact at Westone and see if I can make that happen.

Good policy, and it was a very good review, sorry if my comments seems like unconstructive criticism.

I do wish you would comment on the tame bass being flat though.

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #98 of 257

Quote:
I don't understand how they are flat, but have a tame low end response. If they are truly flat, they should offer some pretty good bass extension and slam. Flat means flat, so 20hz should be just as loud as 500... so there should be rumble, slam and all that lovely bass goodness...

If you mean there is a lack of bloat, that is good, but how good are they at rendering lows? This has me worried. The flatness of my LCD-2 is what I like so much about them.

You're right, and perhaps I should change my wording.  They are flat, but have a lot of impact -- it's just not the prominent feature, as I would say the JH16 tends to be a little more leaning toward heavy (yet high-quality) bass.  There's certainly no bloating.

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #99 of 257

Quote:
You're right, and perhaps I should change my wording.  They are flat, but have a lot of impact -- it's just not the prominent feature, as I would say the JH16 tends to be a little more leaning toward heavy (yet high-quality) bass.  There's certainly no bloating.

Thanks.

I take it the JH 16 are north of neutral in the bass region.

The Reference Monitors seem really sweet, especially with the extra isolation... I use the metro almost every day and you have never have enough outside attenuation.

If you were a starving student and had to choose between the JH-16, JH-13, RM, UE 18, which one would you pick?

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #102 of 257

Quote:
Thanks.

I take it the JH 16 are north of neutral in the bass region.

The Reference Monitors seem really sweet, especially with the extra isolation... I use the metro almost every day and you have never have enough outside attenuation.

If you were a starving student and had to choose between the JH-16, JH-13, RM, UE 18, which one would you pick?

Honestly, I'd get a set of UE-4 Pro and ask to upgrade to the soft-fit option, if they can on that model (for even better isolation) and call it a day, save the extra cash.  I've only heard the JH-16 and the UE-18 of those you mentioned, and honestly, the UE-4 Pro stacks up really well for the price.  Very well, actually.  You miss some headroom and low-end response, but if you're just using them for personal listening, honestly, they sound fantastic and way above anything in that price range a few years ago.  The UE-4 Pro is one of those products that I feel don't get enough attention because they're truly a fine monitor.  I've ran into lots of professional artists using them on the road because they're inexpensive and have opened up a whole new category of custom options for musicians, but the upside of that it puts this pro-quality tool in the hands of consumers for a really nice price.

I haven't heard the JH5Pro which is probably the most direct competition in the price range (it's $399 as well) but I have a high level of faith in Jerry's design philosophies, so I don't think you can go wrong there, either.  I just can't "officially" recommend it without having heard it.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #103 of 257

Quote:
None of them taste that good, and I doubt more drivers means more nutritious.

hahahaha

Quote:
A starving student can afford none of them so you are not a starving student
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

Well, to be fair, I WOULD be starving IF I got a pair of these.

but no I am not hard done by it was just an exaggeration :p

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #104 of 257

Quote:

Honestly, I'd get a set of UE-4 Pro and ask to upgrade to the soft-fit option, if they can on that model (for even better isolation) and call it a day, save the extra cash.  I've only heard the JH-16 and the UE-18 of those you mentioned, and honestly, the UE-4 Pro stacks up really well for the price.  Very well, actually.  You miss some headroom and low-end response, but if you're just using them for personal listening, honestly, they sound fantastic and way above anything in that price range a few years ago.  The UE-4 Pro is one of those products that I feel don't get enough attention because they're truly a fine monitor.  I've ran into lots of professional artists using them on the road because they're inexpensive and have opened up a whole new category of custom options for musicians, but the upside of that it puts this pro-quality tool in the hands of consumers for a really nice price.

I haven't heard the JH5Pro which is probably the most direct competition in the price range (it's $399 as well) but I have a high level of faith in Jerry's design philosophies, so I don't think you can go wrong there, either.  I just can't "officially" recommend it without having heard it.

Interesting, I will have to check into these. 399.99 is tempting. Thanks for the advice.

UE18, JH 16, UE RM which one wins over all to you?

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #105 of 257

Quote:
Interesting, I will have to check into these. 399.99 is tempting. Thanks for the advice.

UE18, JH 16, UE RM which one wins over all to you?

I'll second the motion for UE4Pro for starving students, $399 is allowed but not a penny more.  However, I thought the universal demo version of UE4Pro at CanJam (used Complys tips) was similar in sound to the Westone UM3X with UM56 custom tips.  If you get a universal IEM + custom tips, if you don't like the sound you can sell them and keep the tips for your next IEM.  But, a full custom usually sounds better than a "demo" custom that uses a foam tip, so the actual "fitted" UE4Pro might sound a bit better than the demo and beat the UM3X.  I just don't know.  In my case, I liked the UE4Pro enough that I ordered them at CanJam 09, but I changed my order the next day to the UE11Pro which sounded a little more exciting from the demo.

Right now I'm not into bass boosted IEM as much, and I don't plan to get the JH16.  I absolutely don't want more bass than the JH13Pro, which sometimes sound like I've turned up the sub in my home theater a couple of dB too high.  At least their boost is in the deep bass where I prefer it and not mid-bass; but I would not want more bass as they sometimes almost make a string bass sound like it's being amped like an electric bass.  

You asked joeshambro which he liked the most, and I thought I'd chime in with my opinion if it helps.  Currently I prefer my ES5 the most, followed closely by JH13Pro and ES3X, with UE11Pro slightly behind as long as I'm using the right amp and source for them (wrong amp/source makes the UE11 bass too much for me).  I still like the UE11Pro more than my universal IEM, and more than my Livewires T1, custom SE530, Freq Show, or Alien Ears C3.  But I think that with any of my top 3 picks that anyone would be pleased with their purchase.  I suspect that more people would like the UE4Pro than the UE11Pro, if they like neutral and not bassy sound.  I would consider the UE RM someday, not because I need another IEM but more out of curiosity.   The customs I already have give me everything I need from an IEM, and after 6 weeks I'm still amazed by my new ES5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back