Ultimate Ears 700
Jun 28, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #91 of 110
Those looks very much like my Aurvana, which sound not very good. But i like the portability. Those looks very promising and could be a future purchase. For now i will stick with my IE7

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #93 of 110
Got the 700s recently as a replacement for Super-Fi 5 Pro's that broke on the wrong side of the removable cable socket (fat lot of good that feature did!). Some thoughts:
  1. Comfort/fit: miles ahead - 5 Pro's were a pain to get in and would gradually work their way out. Same problem with Super-Fi 5 non-pros. 700s are way better for me with the small silicone tips, and don't protrude at all (e.g. you can lie sideways on a pillow)
  2. Sound: The timbre is similar to the 5 Pro's, very coherent and with possibly smoother treble, and bass extension seems to be even better, but still nice and tight. Listening to De La Soul's Keepin' The Faith brought a grin to my face (never realised there was such good bass at the beginning of that!) On the other hand, it seems the 700s' bass power-handling isn't as good as the SF5Ps. I can make them distort near the max. output of an iPod Touch with the EU volume limit removed, and I don't remember being able to do that with the SF5Ps. Warrants further testing.
  3. Construction: They look very nice, and are tiny. The first replacement pair I got had a faulty jack from the outset, so I'm a bit paranoid about breaking them given that you also can't replace the cable. But like I said, my SF5Ps broke inside the earphone, so I don't know if that would help anyway. It's very tempting to try and pull on the cable to remove them since the earpiece is small and slippery. Cable's a bit short for my liking (1.2m). Plastic carry case is a better size and shape than the old one, but **** quality. They should have made it from aluminium with a proper hinge.
  4. Misc: Logitech customer service rocks - replaced out-of-warranty SF5Ps with no quibbles, then sent another replacement pair straight away without issue when the first one had jack issues. Given my previous warranty experience with them (sent a replacement set of Z-5500 speakers by air from Switzerland to the UK!) I can't recommend their customer service highly enough.

For an additional reference, I've also owned a pair of Grado SR-80s for years. The Grados in comparison have more pronounced high mids, more forward and somewhat less smooth treble, and less bass extension and control. The 700s also sound more coherent. I feel a bit guilty that I prefer the UEs, because the Grados are a great headphone, and also I've had em so long it feels a bit like kicking an old faithful dog
biggrin.gif

Edit: by the way, SF5P and 700 are both far better than the Super-Fi 5 - the additional coherence and bass extension make all the difference.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #94 of 110
I used my UE 700s yesterday during my weekly lawn cutting duties, which tend to be a sweaty affair
tongue_smile.gif
. Now today I find that the silver finish on both sides is peeling / flaking off. Other than some sweat from previous outside activities, I've never abused the UEs, so I'm a bit disappointed to find out that the finish is not as durable as one would hope for.

I'm going to check with UE on this in the morning, but for now I would just note that the "liquid metal" finish is just a very thin film over plastic, and should be treated gently; save your heavy physical activity for some beater IEMs.

Edit - BTW, I am still thrilled with the audio quality of these things.

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #95 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrbdmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used my UE 700s yesterday during my weekly lawn cutting duties, which tend to be a sweaty affair
tongue_smile.gif
. Now today I find that the silver finish on both sides is peeling / flaking off. Other than some sweat from previous outside activities, I've never abused the UEs, so I'm a bit disappointed to find out that the finish is not as durable as one would hope for.

I'm going to check with UE on this in the morning, but for now I would just note that the "liquid metal" finish is just a very thin film over plastic, and should be treated gently; save your heavy physical activity for some beater IEMs.

I've had them for about 2 months now. Amazing how they sound for their size. Really. How can sound that good come from something that small!

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #96 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Opentoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had them for about 2 months now. Amazing how they sound for their size. Really. How can sound that good come from something that small!

Welcome to Dual Element Drivers. There's the PS200 and the q-Jays which also use these and they are even more impressive.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #97 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's the PS200 and the q-Jays which also use these and they are even more impressive.

I don't know what leads you to believe that these are more impressive then the UE 700's. The reviews I've read contradict you. Regardless I to am amazed at the sound quality that comes from these tiny things. I've had mine since they released and had no kind of problems whatsoever. I sleep in them every night.

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #98 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by emann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know what leads you to believe that these are more impressive then the UE 700's. The reviews I've read contradict you. Regardless I to am amazed at the sound quality that comes from these tiny things. I've had mine since they released and had no kind of problems whatsoever. I sleep in them every night.

what leads me? Because i own all three and i'm a reviewer? I would really like to see a review that compares the UE700 with the Phiaton PS200. There's reviews comparing to the q-Jays, which basically are on par but with a different sound signature. But the UE700 cost $50 USD more, so i recommend the q-Jays over these.

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #99 of 110
MaoDi wrote: However, in the future if you find the Ultimate Ears 700 at a similar price, which i'm sure you will after a price drop in the market, go for the UE 700's sound.

Yes granted that's just compared to the q-Jays. But you did say this "and the q-Jays which also use these and they are even more impressive".
wink_face.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #100 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by emann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MaoDi wrote: However, in the future if you find the Ultimate Ears 700 at a similar price, which i'm sure you will after a price drop in the market, go for the UE 700's sound.

Yes granted that's just compared to the q-Jays. But you did say this "and the q-Jays which also use these and they are even more impressive".
wink_face.gif

i recommend the UE700's over the q-Jays in sound purely, the q-Jays offers 95% of the UE700's sound at $50 USD less, three times the accessory and twice the warranty with a better build quality is definitely MORE IMPRESSIVE. Sorry for my confusion, but that is what i meant.

However, The Phiaton PS200 are in a totally different league compared to the UE700's, and they too use Micro Armature Drivers.

Also, this is the new review. I need to update the UE700 on here

http://www.touchmyapps.com/2009/06/2...ng-jube-jubes/

Aug 20, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #101 of 110
Curious, has anybody been able to compare the UE 700s to the Super Fi 5? They are both dual armature and similar price, wondering if you pay for the small size of the 700s in some reduced sound quality.

Nov 9, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #103 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Dual Element Drivers. There's the PS200 and the q-Jays which also use these and they are even more impressive.

Hi, I am looking to supplement my Panasonic earphones with a pair which isolate better. I like straight down earphones, bass which is more impactful than Etymotics but not boomy (just impact when the recording requires it, punchy if you like), detailed highs but not piercing. Regarding the PS200, do the triple flanges (etys) fit them? Not sure from memory.

I've identified the PS200, Ultimate Ears 700 and Audio Technica ATH-CK90PRO.

Which do you feel is the best value for money?

Jun 26, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #105 of 110
hi...
i own the ultimate ears 700
and they really sound nice, much better than any of my in ears.
they sound crisp and clear.ill make a review one of this days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back