Ultimate Ears 700 -UE700- Review (Comparison/Vs Jays q-Jays)
Jun 28, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #16 of 94
Those looks very much like my Aurvana, which sound not very good. But i like the portability. Those looks very promising and could be a future purchase. For now i will stick with my IE7

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #17 of 94
Recently my Super.fi 5 Pro broke and I got my money from amazon back. Now I'm thinking to buy those new UE 700. Is it worth the upgrade? How stable is the cable and are they compatible with the Comply T500 Tips? (I bought 5 pairs on the same day they broke) In the past my UE Cable broke several times.

Jul 5, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #18 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocterD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently my Super.fi 5 Pro broke and I got my money from amazon back. Now I'm thinking to buy those new UE 700. Is it worth the upgrade? How stable is the cable and are they compatible with the Comply T500 Tips? (I bought 5 pairs on the same day they broke) In the past my UE Cable broke several times.

It's not an Upgrade, it's more of a sidestep. However, i think the design is much more advanced, and the cables are much more flexible without the annoying memory wire. I'm not sure if they fit the T500, because it's soundtube is different to any other earphone UE makes now.

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #20 of 94
well there we go, someones got an answer =) i just wasn't sure whether it was the T500 or the T400. But we now have the answer

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #22 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by PLW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for a nice review. +1

No Problem. There's also a review on TouchMyApps that i have done tha tyou could also take a look at.

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #23 of 94
Very interesting review, thanks for sharing all the valuable information with us. I've been thinking of getting these really fine earphones but my worries are about the price. I have already read through various shopping and price comparison sites and have found some interesting offers for the UE700. I think I'll wait a few days and then I'll purchase them - still waiting for a cheaper offer
wink_face.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #24 of 94
You might want to also consider the Phiaton PS200. I find that it's soundstage is much wider, with much more detail throughout the frequency without being irritating at the high frequencies. They may not be as small as the UE700, but i think sound quality and build quality they out perform the UE700. They cost $20 more than the UE700, but comes with a much more sophisticated case for your earphones.

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #25 of 94
I just got a pair of UE 700s, early comparison with my Denon 751s is better and extremely detailed in the highs, good mids, but disappointing on the low end. The Denons go lower while still having tight bass compared to other dynamic IEMs, while the UEs sound a bit anemic in the lowest registers by comparison.

So my questions are (1) is trading off some bass for an exceptional high end just expected when moving from dynamic to BA IEMs, and (2) will I find any significant change with the UEs after a burn-in period, and (3) will Comply tips improve the bass on the UEs? (The Complys provided are too small for me, and I've got a set of large T-500s on order.)

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #26 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrbdmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a pair of UE 700s, early comparison with my Denon 751s is better and extremely detailed in the highs, good mids, but disappointing on the low end. The Denons go lower while still having tight bass compared to other dynamic IEMs, while the UEs sound a bit anemic in the lowest registers by comparison.

So my questions are (1) is trading off some bass for an exceptional high end just expected when moving from dynamic to BA IEMs, and (2) will I find any significant change with the UEs after a burn-in period, and (3) will Comply tips improve the bass on the UEs? (The Complys provided are too small for me, and I've got a set of large T-500s on order.)

I believe you are used to "over-powering" and "boomy" bass. The Ue700's lows aren't lacking (may be in personal taste), but are rather quicker, accurate, and not overpowering. Lows on BA earphones can be much better than many dynamic earphones, for example the lows on the Westone 3, Westone UM3X especially some customs like the UE-11, also the JH13 pro which is said to have the quickest and most powerful lows.

You won't find any significant change after burn in, and no the Comply's will not improved the lows on the UE700. In fact, silicone sleeves with a good seal with improved the impact.

Jul 22, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #27 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe you are used to "over-powering" and "boomy" bass. The Ue700's lows aren't lacking (may be in personal taste), but are rather quicker, accurate, and not overpowering. Lows on BA earphones can be much better than many dynamic earphones, for example the lows on the Westone 3, Westone UM3X especially some customs like the UE-11, also the JH13 pro which is said to have the quickest and most powerful lows.

You won't find any significant change after burn in, and no the Comply's will not improved the lows on the UE700. In fact, silicone sleeves with a good seal with improved the impact.

Thanks for the feedback. I had never heard the Denon 751s referred to as "basshead" IEMs, certainly not compared to my first IEMs the Senn CX300. I am continuing to listen to both the UEs and the Denons (and compare them to my Senn 595s) to refine my opinions of each. The UEs are definitely a winner in the mids and treble (though I may have to dial back the upper treble a tad), so I'm sure I'll be using these quite a bit in the future no matter what.

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #28 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrbdmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the feedback. I had never heard the Denon 751s referred to as "basshead" IEMs, certainly not compared to my first IEMs the Senn CX300. I am continuing to listen to both the UEs and the Denons (and compare them to my Senn 595s) to refine my opinions of each. The UEs are definitely a winner in the mids and treble (though I may have to dial back the upper treble a tad), so I'm sure I'll be using these quite a bit in the future no matter what.

The Sennheriseri CX series i find a big disappointment, all the lows are bloated, muddy and far too overpowering. Denons are much better, but they are significantly more powerful compared to say the UE SF3 or SF4. You might have to decide if you like the UE700's precise, and accurate lows vs the super thumpy ones from the Denon.

Good luck!

Jul 23, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #29 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sennheriseri CX series i find a big disappointment, all the lows are bloated, muddy and far too overpowering. Denons are much better, but they are significantly more powerful compared to say the UE SF3 or SF4. You might have to decide if you like the UE700's precise, and accurate lows vs the super thumpy ones from the Denon.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I pulled my Senn HD595s (closest thing I have to a "reference") out for another listening session this evening with the Denons and the UEs, and it became clear that the Denons do deliver enhanced "thumpy" bass - which works well much of the time, but on occasion can overwhelm the rest of the track. The UE 700s bass is quite close to the Senns - accurate, analytical, but perhaps not as "fun" as the 751s. But the UEs handling of vocals is downright mesmerizing to me - the 700s pull away a veil that was present for the Denons and even the Senns.

I guess I'll make room for two sets of IEMs in my collection.
smile_phones.gif
smile_phones.gif

EDIT: well surprise, suprise! I got some large Comply T-500 tips in the mail today (the standard sized ones packed with the UE 700s were too small for me) and tried them out. I wouldn't call it a night and day difference, but there was definitely more weight to the bass with properly fitting Complys installed. Maybe I have funky shaped ear canals, who knows? In any event, I think the UE 700s are now my everyday IEM, with the Denons reserved for when I'm in the mood for head-rattling bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back