Ultimate Ears 600 impressions thread
Apr 23, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #31 of 90
Ordered these last night. Need to listen to my music (can't do that with the grandmother around the way. She'll cry devils music if I used my open-backs 
evil_smiley.gif
 )

I've always wanted these and they will be my first venture into BAs since I chickened out at the order page between the IM70 and IM02  
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #32 of 90
Well.......... I'm not really one to believe in burn in, but perhaps these will be the straw that breaks the camels' back (or reassure me personally that I was on the right track not believing) These sound.............. ikkkk right out the box. It's like listening to something semi stereo artificial, somewhere between through a tube or through a stone auditorium. sort of sterile. 
frown.gif

Detailed but, hide you kids, I want my SE215 back. Please black hole into my lap where you belong. :..(

Edit: Nice to know there is NO appreciation for these. bleh

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #33 of 90
  Well.......... I'm not really one to believe in burn in, but perhaps these will be the straw that breaks the camels' back (or reassure me personally that I was on the right track not believing) These sound.............. ikkkk right out the box. It's like listening to something semi stereo artificial, somewhere between through a tube or through a stone auditorium. sort of sterile. 
frown.gif

Detailed but, hide you kids, I want my SE215 back. Please black hole into my lap where you belong. :..(

Edit: Nice to know there is NO appreciation for these. bleh

Be patient and let them burn in at least for 50 hours. Your impressions didn't seem right to me. 

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #36 of 90
50 hours................ Been a day. Decided to check them. Still feel like I'm listening through a tube (I vaguely recall mention around here of such a phenomena where certain IEMs sound small or something if the sort
confused.gif
 Hope I'm not like that with BAs and these just need more burn in [whether that of the iems or the brain 
tongue.gif
] ). A somewhat neutral tube, but a tube nonetheless. Listening to one of my favorite tracks, Angel Vivaldi's Dream Catcher, where the guitars weren't as abused by dynamic compression as others, The guitars sound more raw than I remember them being in my shures. The rhythm guitars stood out more than usual, I noticed them dancing around more than what had already attracted my to the instrumental.

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #37 of 90
This thread hasn't got enough attention I guess. I am planning to wake up this thread  and write quick impressions on thursday since I will get my hands on my UE600vi. They are on the way to my post office now.

Apr 30, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #38 of 90
I am seriously trying to like these....but...

The sound, while a little more detailed then what I'm used to is akin to (wait for it......) a slightly muffled digital audio recorder, a la a dash of over a telephone, flat-ish? on the lifeless side of things unless the recording DEMANDS it. A sound is almost made because it's there to be made but there isn't much more to it. Vocals seem to take a definite center stage, with instruments attemping to take their position on stage. Anything with a stereo pan applied does so to an extreme, nearly reproducing itself exclusively in the right OR left monitor as opposed to setting itself somewhere in between as with my Shures and HD 668b (or any speaker or monitor I've had a chance to get my grimy hands around :p ) ................

They are hiss cannons (ok that's actually a bit dramatic) they do reveal the noise floor of you source and recordong when it's quiet, so if your sorce isn't the best it will sound like your grandmas old turntable through her old set up.

I feel like these would shine a little better if I could get my hands on some raw recordings (and maybe these could become a live sound/editing room iem when open backs aren't totally appropriate or accessible) but as a daily driver.... ha! Perhaps after I upgrade my sound set-up, but as of this moment I could honestly see myself sending them back. They don't sing well with my Sony D-NF430 CD player (which has been my reference for how I set my other sources with ear gear in the past [I know it's nothing special]) but everything these touch sound muffled and a bit lifless and that's a no-no.

On the bright side, they don't sound like a tube anymore, and I am not trying to EQ the highs up with these like the shures (they need some kind of EQing though if I'm gonna live with em [something with them mids I feel, may play around with that till I do a dac upgrade]

............. I don't know how, but suddenly these have taken a different sound signature. Neutral. The wierd digital muffled nonsense is gone!!!! Not sure if the 4 hours of sleep last night combined with a work week in overdrive has messed with my brain > ear connection or if somthing else has happened. My computer was giving the same muffled sound as the CD player and now it sounds decent. Will have to test this tomorrow after I catch up on some missing Zs and possibly some missing sanity :floatsmile:

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #39 of 90
one thing i've noticed with these is how sensitive they are to power.  always have to make sure my volume is turned down to start before i to listen on them bc it doesn't take much power to get them loud.  i think i'm warming to them.  The comply tips are for sure better than any of the silicone tips especially for a little extra bass presence.  I don't think they sound like they're coming from a tube, I actually think they sound fairly open myself, but i think upper register instruments sound a little artificial, Violin particularly. female vocals seem to be fairly upfront as well... overall they sound very nice for the the price i paid.

May 2, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #40 of 90
These came in the mail today and I'm totally blown with the sound quality these offer. What I hear is an amazing sound even out of the box and I can hear slight differences after 5 hours burn-in. They seem to improve compared to out of box. I will write a detailed review after 100 hours burn-in period.

May 19, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #42 of 90
Hi guys I'm new here. I'm interested in these headphones, most of the time I use headphones with my LG G2 phone and Samsung Yp-f3qb player and because of that I like the volume controls and the microphone built in these headphones.
At the moment my headphones are Sennheiser Cx300II but I want something better, are these ultimate ears 600vi worth the change?

Edit:I have read that the controls doesn't work with Android phones, is that true?

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #43 of 90
Ok I was feeling sorry for myself after returning the Sony XBA-H3. I wanted to like them, I really did! But the overwhelming bass and lack of dynamics just killed what little enjoyment I was getting from them.

So two days later I am wandering the malls and local big box stores vainly hoping to find something interesting and new. After almost rebuking old choices I had moved on from or trying out IEM's I was sure I would regret. There all by their lonesome was one pair of UE600vi with a sales tag that had expired the day before but was still on the shelf. So I confirmed they would honour the price and then hummed and hawed for a while.

The argument in my head was don't buy these, they are old hat. The counter argument was hey these are cheap and you have never tried them even when you were lusting after them years earlier! So after a few minutes of mental sparring I decided what the hell, lets try this OLD technology!!

Boy am I glad I did...

Somewhere between bouncing over to the basshead universe then flipping into treblehead insanity these just sound damn good! And believe the 3d rhetoric on the package! These have amazing sound stage precision! I will admit my first few minutes were despair as I thought damn it why did I buy yet another lifeless BA! But then an orchestral piece started and man did it ever sound good, I was hearing depth, height, wideness I hadn't heard for a while. Then I started to hear levels of detail I had been missing of late. I have heard better bass and better treble but not as cohesive a sound as what these were giving. I will have to A/B compare against my UE900 when I get them back at some point but I think I might enjoy these even more than them.

These may not last long according to the comments I have seen out there but they are cheap enough right now I am glad I bought them anyway. If they fall apart but I use them what difference does it make compared to buying something I don't like and selling it for half my cost anyway, especially some of my more expensive flops!

I know this is an old horse in Head-fi standards but I think at their price its an old horse more people should be lining up for a ride on...

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #44 of 90
Still listening to these and honestly they are one of the nicest IEM's I have owned at their price and well beyond. I word rank these as better than the Etymotic HFx as well as the Phonak PFE single BA line as well as any IEM I have owned under 100 for detail and imaging. They are a steal at their current street price of $50 or there about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back