Ultimate Ears’ Triple.fi 10 Pro vs. ?
Jun 9, 2011 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Guppy_

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so after wondering why the hell I keep spending  <$100 on IEM I decided to up the budget to around $250 for new IEM.

See my connundrums here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/556721/phiaton-ps200-questions

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534914/identify-my-weakest-link-in-my-gear-how-make-it-better

A quick history of my IEM:

Random Altec lansing -> creative ep630 -> head direct re2 -> head direct re0  - etymotic mc 5.

Source:
iPhone 4,  creative Xfi2, creative zen vision:m

Music: Rock, posthardcore, alt-rock.

I prefer analytical sound or balanced at much, but anything "warm"  is just fatiguing IMO.

Basically I was set on Etymotic ER4P  or PT, but after reading that their price a couple of months ago used to be $160-$180ish... and are now around $230ish on amazon... I just said. F it, I won't pay extra just because etymotic became greedy..

So i found on amazon the TF10 for $185.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-TripleFi-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B0019RBJOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307653722&sr=8-1

And well it perfectly fits my budget of $250...

I also considered phiaton, but apparently the TF10 have better build quality than the PS200...

ATCK10 are hard to come by for international buyers as well...

*It has to be a USA company that accepts international orders, in order to have a courrier ship them to me. ( so Ortofon is out of the question.. as well as PFE)

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 23
While i'm at it, I keep reading about cable issues with the TF.10 Yet can't find a specific post about it. Also on a different matter, can the TF.10 be worn say with ety triflange to increase isolation ?

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 23
The stock cable looks great at first but is piss-poor when it comes to build quality. I can never seem to straighten them. Seems that the memory came when it was coiled from the box.

Etymotic's triple flanges might be abit too small for the nozzle. Get the ones for monster turbines on ebay. Those are the ones I am using now, fits well enough. It is really questionable though, as to how much more isolation it provides over the single flanges because the tips go deeper into your ears, you don't need to play your music at a higher level. Try it, really.

Best to wait for amazon to sell it at $99 again. I wanted to wait but decided not to.

The option of replacing cables should put them high up on the your list of choices with all that said.

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 23
I wouldn't know on replacing the cables, are they plug and play cables?  or is it an easy solder job? I would probably try and recable down the line after a couple of months of owning them,  You don't feel any isolation improvements with MT tips?

wait :S? If someone were to say, ok " they'll go on sale in a month" I would probably wait.... but with no approximate date how can be something viable? 

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 23
It has occured twice over the past few years. Last one was last christmas. IIRC. That's why I bought mine, couldn't wait for something unconfirmed.

You don't need skills to replace the cables. Simply plug it in.

Difference between the single and triple when it comes to Isolation isn't that discernable, if that makes any sense. But the triple flanges definitely isolate better than the stock silicone tips provided.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 23
The TF10 is a very easy to acquire IEM nowadays, they are great IEMs but lots of people are unsatisfied with its fit and mids, and the stock cable blows :p

They are awesome if you can get the fit right and if you go for upgrade cables. Do not listen to naysayers about the cable. Trust me, i've been there. 

Enjoy the stock for a month or so, then look at upgrade cables

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
Westone 3s or 2s is what i'd recommend.

Westones are way above my budget! And I can't find a review comparing the W2 vs. the TF.10

Quote:
http://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-Ultimate-Ears-Triple-Fi-10/dp/B0028YCRJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1307674159&sr=8-1

Oh God. This is why it's tough to find IEMs in Canada.

Holy CRAP that's incredible!

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #13 of 23
The ATH-CK10's seem like a good IEM for you. Try to find one in these forums. 

TF-10's are real easy to come by on these forums for under $150. I got one for $145 with international shipping included :)
You can buy new cables, or make them on your own. I managed to make one on my own, and I didn't have any previous soldering experiences.. 
The cables really make a difference on sound.

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
The ATH-CK10's seem like a good IEM for you. Try to find one in these forums. 

TF-10's are real easy to come by on these forums for under $150. I got one for $145 with international shipping included :)
You can buy new cables, or make them on your own. I managed to make one on my own, and I didn't have any previous soldering experiences.. 
The cables really make a difference on sound.

I'll try lookin in the FS forum see if I find any reputable seller for the ATH-CK10... However Buying used is not my cup of tea, because of warranty and such... and I may not qualify as a "reputable" buyer because i'm barely around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back