Ultimate Dark Side of the Moon recording?
Sep 1, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #34 of 62
Sorry to revive this thread and bring up this subject again, but today I came across a used copy of DSOTM and I'm wondering which version it is. Is this the original CD release? The circle with the text is on the cover of the booklet. The back of the CD has absolutely no text on it so I'm not sure what year it's from.

moon.jpg

Oct 12, 2006 at 10:06 AM Post #35 of 62
How does the MOFI LP version of DSOM fare amongs all the great stuff here?

Thats the only one I've heard so no idea how it compares with everything mentioned here, and it sounds way better the MOFI Ziggy Stardust which was average sounding to me.

Oct 12, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #36 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by a529612
Is the original MFSL UltraDisc better sounding than the later MFSL UltraDisc II release with the GAIN system? Thanks!

yes, it is quieter than than the UDII by a good margin.. If you can, always look to obtain the UDI's cut in Japan..

Oct 14, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #37 of 62
Wasn't there some issue with "timing" or something that they apparently "fixed" on the 30th Anniv. SACD Edition? How does that factor into the differences between the older versions?

Oct 14, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #38 of 62
Imo the best copies are as follows:

CD: Toshiba/EMI Black Triangle (Yes even better than the MFSL CD)
Vinyl: MFSL UHQR (Perhaps the Ultimate copy of DSOTM period)

Oct 15, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #39 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Vinyl: MFSL UHQR (Perhaps the Ultimate copy of DSOTM period)

Completely agree. I have this on CD and its AMAZING!

Oct 15, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #40 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Completely agree. I have this on CD and its AMAZING!

YGPM
tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
YGPM
tongue.gif

tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #42 of 62
Oct 15, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #43 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
http://www.pinkfloydcd.com/DARKside/...DP7460012.html

I just purchased this disc from a forum member over at SH for $20. The consenses is that this disc is the same or very very close to the Japan Black Triangle with the non-TO in the matrix. Which would be this one minus the "TO" in the matrix number:

http://www.pinkfloydcd.com/DARKside/JapanCP353017.html

Supposedly the "Holy Grail" of DSOTM.

I don't know where this myth come from but i guess it's too late to debunk now. Those first Pink-Floyd release under the label Harvest/EMI, even the first ones pressed in Japan are really bad sounding. These were my first CDs purchase back in 1984, so i think i know how they sound. All MFSL release trounce them. The best DSOTM on CD is probably the first MFSL edition "Ultradisc" pressed in Japan. This was the golden age of Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab IMO. (They used other AD converters that i found slightly cold for 'Ultradisc II' and 'Ultradisc II - gain system')

You know, these guys at Steve Hoffman forum are not really what i would call 'hardcore audiophile'.

They certainly have knowledge about how many versions have been realised and so on...But IMO they are more Collectors than Audiophiles...and guess what, Collectors will always praise and pay premium for the rarest, hard to find item.

Oct 15, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #44 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
I don't know where this myth come from but i guess it's too late to debunk now. Those first Pink-Floyd release under the label Harvest/EMI, even the first ones pressed in Japan are really bad sounding. These were my first CDs purchase back in 1984, so i think i know how they sound. All MFSL release trounce them. The best DSOTM on CD is probably the first MFSL edition "Ultradisc" pressed in Japan. This was the golden age of Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab IMO. (They used other AD converters that i found slightly cold for 'Ultradisc II' and 'Ultradisc II - gain system')

You know, these guys at Steve Hoffman forum are not really what i would call 'hardcore audiophile'.

They certainly have knowledge about how many versions have been realised and so on...But IMO they are more Collectors than Audiophiles...and guess what, Collectors will always praise and pay premium for the rarest, hard to find item.

I suppose I'll find out once I recieve it, I have a copy of the MFSL. So if the MFSL is better then I only "lost" $20 on it but if it's better then I lucked out I suppose.

Oct 15, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
I must revise my opinion above - the BEST DSOTM I have heard is the MFSL UHQR release. Blows away all the rest.

Agreed!
smily_headphones1.gif

But I don't know what kind of quality you're expecting to find here. Dark Side of the Moon was never a good-sounding album to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back