Ultimate Dark Side of the Moon recording?
Jul 12, 2006 at 12:24 PM Post #16 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
Heh key words "if you can find one" I found one on half.com for $35 last year...Looks like they have some used for $48 right now and new $103
eek.gif
MFSL is defintley the way to go for DSOTM fan though IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

The best way, if it's possible anymore, is to find a used store that doesn't know what they have... meaning, I picked up a used Steely Dan AJA Ultradisc for $5 about 10 years ago. I think since then the world has sort of come to realize the demand.. however you never know when you're going to get lucky..

-jar

Jul 12, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #17 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
The best way, if it's possible anymore, is to find a used store that doesn't know what they have... meaning, I picked up a used Steely Dan AJA Ultradisc for $5 about 10 years ago. I think since then the world has sort of come to realize the demand.. however you never know when you're going to get lucky..

-jar

There was only one used store by were I used to live, they unfortuantely knew about MFSL discs lol....They had a sealed MFSL John Lennon Imagine for $23(and not on the floor was in a glass case at the counter lol), I beleive that's what it's going for online but I got it anyway, figuring I would still save a few dollars on shipping.

Jul 12, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #18 of 62
Another vote for the SACD layer and the MFSL CD. I own both and enjoy them both.

Speaking of the John Lennon Imagine MFSL - I just purchased a new sealed copy for $30.00 and I also got the other Lennon MFSL for the same price. I believe they are already OOP.

Jul 12, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #19 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Another vote for the SACD layer and the MFSL CD. I own both and enjoy them both.

Speaking of the John Lennon Imagine MFSL - I just purchased a new sealed copy for $30.00 and I also got the other Lennon MFSL for the same price. I believe they are already OOP.

Looks like your right Imagine is listed OOP on there site, John Lennon - Live Peace Live In Toronto is still availible, glade I got imagine when I did
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #20 of 62
I must revise my opinion above - the BEST DSOTM I have heard is the MFSL UHQR release. Blows away all the rest. As for the DVD-A - I shall soon be able to listen to it. I will keep you posted.

Jul 13, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #21 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
I must revise my opinion above - the BEST DSOTM I have heard is the MFSL UHQR release. Blows away all the rest. As for the DVD-A - I shall soon be able to listen to it. I will keep you posted.

Yes, the UHQR must be the ultimate with a good vinyl rig!

Keep me posted where you find that DVD-A track!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #22 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
I'm listening to Dark Side of the Moon now and realized that this CD is about 20 years old. It was my first CD, incidentally.

While it still sounds good, is there a newer pressing that sounds better? I ran a search and scanned through ten pages of threads, and this topic hasn't come up yet.

Also, don't limit yourself to CD. If you think vinyl, SACD, etc. versions are best, say so. Any recommendations?

Quadraphonic LP
or Japanese pressed VV LP on 200+ gram
or MFSL Gold CD
these are the best available for DSOTM
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #23 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
Yes, the UHQR must be the ultimate with a good vinyl rig!

Keep me posted where you find that DVD-A track!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't need a vinyl rig for mine.
wink.gif
cool.gif

I will keep you posted on the DVD-A.

Jul 14, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #24 of 62
http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/54...rsons_quad_mix

Jump on it while you can...

Let me know what you think everyone. I do not have any of the "good" sources of this disc other than the cheap, easy to find CD. I have heard that this 4.1 version is more aggressive in the channel separationm. Some like it more than the SACD and some don't. From what I have read about, DSOTM would be better with a more aggressive surround approach than a polite one.

Jul 14, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #25 of 62
Arrrrrrgh. It's right there in front of me an I've never used a torrent before. Must figure it out quickly!!!!...

Jul 14, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #26 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
From what I have read about, DSOTM would be better with a more aggressive surround approach than a polite one.

I think this makes sense as it was performed in real discreet quadrophonic and was utterly amazing live.

Jul 14, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #27 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
I think this makes sense as it was performed in real discreet quadrophonic and was utterly amazing live.

I believe the DVD-A version is a true quadrophonic recording. I have yet to listen to it though.
frown.gif

Jul 16, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF

I have to agree with this as well. I was lucky enough to pick up the MFSL when it was first released and in print. I've listened to a couple of the various re-masters since then and none of them were even close... until the SACD, which is very good. Not sure yet which one I like better, as I've only had the SACD for a couple weeks and I've had the MFSL CD for something approaching 20 years now...

Oh, and the redbook layer on the SACD is indeed surprisingly bad.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back