Ultimate Dark Side of the Moon recording?
Jul 11, 2006 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
I'm listening to Dark Side of the Moon now and realized that this CD is about 20 years old. It was my first CD, incidentally.

While it still sounds good, is there a newer pressing that sounds better? I ran a search and scanned through ten pages of threads, and this topic hasn't come up yet.

Also, don't limit yourself to CD. If you think vinyl, SACD, etc. versions are best, say so. Any recommendations?

Jul 11, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 62
The SACD layer of the SACD is really good; however the Red Book layer on the SACD is crap.

As far as CD versions go the best is the MFSL Gold CD.

I haven't heard it on vinyl so I can't comment on that.

Jul 11, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 62
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, the BIG thread: in search of the Holy Grail CD

Here's 15 pages of discussion on the matter....which would be the hundredth discussion of the matter there.
biggrin.gif

I'd suggest doing your own search there. Unless super long debates are fun?

Jul 11, 2006 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 62
My personal vote goes to the quite recent 180 gram vinyl pressing made for the anniversary of the albums release. However, my vinyl system is considerably better than my digital system and my CD version has tape hiss and is quite old.

Jul 11, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 62
Jul 11, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
wow, a lot of drama in that thread
blink.gif

Yeah, as one, I can say internet audiophiles can be idiots. One of the reasons there can be such debate about which of the 53 issues (how many actual masterings?) is better is that they're all pretty good. It comes down to a matter of taste rather than genuine sonic superiority. I'm not a Floyd aficionado and I think I recall a general consensus being the remasters are just fine. (With The Wall, it'd be the Canadian Columbia).

Jul 11, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, the BIG thread: in search of the Holy Grail CD

Here's 15 pages of discussion on the matter....which would be the hundredth discussion of the matter there.
biggrin.gif

I'd suggest doing your own search there. Unless super long debates are fun?

Good lord, what a soap opera that is!

I've always liked my cd I bought back in the 80's. Just a regular US release, I think. (now I have to check it of course) I have an old vinyl too, probably from around 1980.. but it's in very very bad shape.

Jul 11, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
Good lord, what a soap opera that is!

I've always liked my cd I bought back in the 80's. Just a regular US release, I think. (now I have to check it of course) I have an old vinyl too, probably from around 1980.. but it's in very very bad shape.

Yes, just stand back, let them go at it and then pick up the loot after they're done. The spoils of war.
biggrin.gif

My recollection of many debates is that all Pink Floyd CDs from the beginning sound good. Some a little better.

Jul 11, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
try the "MFSL Gold CD" also known as "UltraDisc" if you can find one

Seconded, haven't tried vinyl though.

Jul 11, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #11 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Yes, just stand back, let them go at it and then pick up the loot after they're done. The spoils of war.
biggrin.gif

My recollection of many debates is that all Pink Floyd CDs from the beginning sound good. Some a little better.

One thing I did as a young stupid kid was sell my vinyl copy of THE WALL after buying the CD. The vinyl was a gift from my cousin and I really should have held onto it. But we were so dazzled by the new shiny cd's.. seemed silly to hold onto the LPs.. though the gatefold artwork was of course, way better than the folded card in the cd case.

I've since managed to get ahold of a vg+ vinyl copy of THE WALL again, and I must say, I get much more enjoyment listening to it than I do from the CD. It just connects with my brain in a more satisfying way.

A former roomate has the MoFi Gold WALL, and that was sweet too.

-jar

Jul 11, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #13 of 62
I've had the regular cd from the mid 90's which sounded good. After many years of listening to it, it had gotten into very bad shape. So I finally replaced it with a MFSL gold ultradisc and it was a better. I've had that for many years now and I'm glad I bought it. So, if you ever see one, buy it right away. I was lucky enough to find it at a mall store for $25 brand new.

Just last week I had some more luck. I was at a nearby city and decided to go to a record shop since I'm planning on buying a turntable soon. To my surprise they had a one of the 30th anniversary heavy weight vinyl lps in the new section. So I bought it but I can't tell you about the sound as I have no turntable to play it on... yet

Jul 12, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #14 of 62
Has anyone heard the DVD-Audio that was UNofficially released and is on the torrent sites? I have not heard very many versions, but the detail on this particular release is amazing! It gets a LOT of praise on various forums.

Dunno if this violates any rules of the forum, but I am pretty sure that real pigs will fly before anything like that would be officially released, so I guess nobody is loosing out. Besides, only diehards are really into this sort of thing anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back