UK Meet:Don't worry (Not London)
Feb 8, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #181 of 257
This is a plea for help...

I've finished putting my PIMETA together, but there's a problem with buzzing and there's no bass
frown.gif
. I'd be extremely grateful if there's a kind soul coming to the meet who is familiar with the PIMETA who could have a quick look at it for me to see if there's something simple wrong like a short circuit, blown op amp or rubbish power supply.

Someone has already suggested that it might be the PSU - I killed the original one (I had the supply rails reversed - doh!), but managed to find a spare wall wart that wasn't doing anything, so I used that, but I have no idea if it's a linear regulated one. So if someone has a 24v PSU with a 2.5mm connector that I could try, I'd be very grateful
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,

Dave.

Feb 10, 2005 at 10:42 AM Post #182 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveabrey
This is a plea for help...

I've finished putting my PIMETA together, but there's a problem with buzzing and there's no bass
frown.gif
. I'd be extremely grateful if there's a kind soul coming to the meet who is familiar with the PIMETA who could have a quick look at it for me to see if there's something simple wrong like a short circuit, blown op amp or rubbish power supply.

Someone has already suggested that it might be the PSU - I killed the original one (I had the supply rails reversed - doh!), but managed to find a spare wall wart that wasn't doing anything, so I used that, but I have no idea if it's a linear regulated one. So if someone has a 24v PSU with a 2.5mm connector that I could try, I'd be very grateful
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,

Dave.

Bueller? Bueller? Anybody?

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #183 of 257
Hi Dave,

Im not familiar with the Pimeta, so I'm no help really.

Have you tried it just using batteries, if you are unsure about the psu. 2 9Vs in series should do it.

Amit

Feb 10, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #186 of 257
I've been holding this off hoping that things would improve but I'm sorry to say I'll have to pass on the meet, I was really looking forward to it too
frown.gif
, I've had an "annus horribilis" (as her Maj would say) and it doesn't look like it's going to get better in a hurry. I won't go into details but hope you all have a really good time which I'm sure you will (I was so looking forward to sampling Kirk's culinary treats)

All the best.

Mike.

Feb 10, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #188 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain
Sorry to hear you can't make it Mike. I will send you up a take away.

Hope we can meet some other time.

Thanks Kirk I could do with it.

All the best my friend.

Mike.

Feb 11, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #191 of 257
Sorry to hear that Pinkfloyd. I was looking forward to meeting you, the man behind the WNA movement!

daveabrey, you might want to update the equipment under my name. I have now sold my Musical Fidelity X-ray.

Feb 13, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #193 of 257
Hi all,

Kirk just sent me a message right now, after reading a post of mine saying I was living in UK at this moment, and he did let me know about this meeting.

I'll be there. It's a shame I'm still moving/unpacking stuff around and I won't be able to bring much (specially software-wise. Most part of my CDs are still in Spain. Some gear too). Besides I just decided to go for the combo DAC-1 -> Zu XLR -> HD 650, but I didn't buy it yet (I'll wait for the meeting in order to hear the DAC)

I'll gladly help with the postage (Headroom, etc) and with supplies (drink, food not competing with the host, and assorted electrical stuff).

I'm living in Reading and I can pick people up around the area (only one as I have a coupe, 3 in an emergency, with space for gear too)

I can bring Apple Ibook + Airport Extreme for lossless, bit-perfect source for dacs like the Benchmark. I can bring another IBM Thinkpad laptop if required (Horrible soundcard, but useful if someone has a good one or for an Apogee minidac usb or similar)

As for portable sources, an Ipod 1G 10 GB (lossless/320) and an Ipod Shuffle 1GB (320). I gave my 3G 40GB to my brother (thinking about Photo). I don't think the Xin SuperMacro will be ready by then (sent for OpAmp swap).

Headphones:
I can bring a brand new 650 I plan to buy (the one intended for my combo) but it won't be burnt at all, and there will be several of them, so maybe there is no point.
However, I will order right now the Zu-Mobius XLR so we can try it with the DAC-1 and some 650. It can be interesting to see if the combo is that good. Shame the cable won't be burnt.
I'm waiting for my local dealer in Reading, as he is trying to get me a HD 595 (50 Ohm version, he only has the 120 one in stock). I'll bring the 595 if I can get it on time. They won't be properly burnt, though.
I can bring Grados SR80 with bowls and flats. My flats are quite damaged but 2 new pairs are on his way from Todd, so they should be here on time.
I sent back the K501 to my brother last week (to be replaced for the 650) but he is coming again soon so I can ask him to bring the K501, the iPod 3G and my old HD580 (however I think is comming after the meeting. I'll check it)
I can bring Ettys ER4p and ER6i. Some Senn PX-100 too.
Junk like AppleEarbuds (still sealed), B&O A8 and Sony EX71 or G72, anyone?
biggrin.gif

Apart from 8, all my CD collection is coming this Easter. I only have here around 20 GBs (320 and lossless). A shame as I have some rare, good stuff there. As you can see most of my stuff is "on his way" or "abroad" etc. Shame. Maybe next time.

Sorry about the lenght. Too many "If"s. Looking forward to it. It will be good to listen new gear. It will be even better to meet new people who share the same passion.

Kind regards,

Javier

Feb 13, 2005 at 9:29 AM Post #194 of 257
Will be good to see you there Javier
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sort of getting tempted to take along the Philips HP890s with me now, whilst I know that they'll be minnows in a sea of whales... I dunno... I'm kind of liking them again these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back