UFOs over San Diego?
Jan 16, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #76 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You forgot those pesky laws, Vic, like a person in uniform straight line motion will remain in uniform straight line motion, unless you can kick them as they go by.

Also, there's the smell of cadaverine and putrescine.

laws are still there to support theories. Gravity for instance, is a theory upheld by a set of laws.

theories and laws are similar in that they make predictions that must be upheld (or falsified) by observation. however, a theory is "larger" than a law.

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #77 of 112
If there is intelligent life out there, I say come on down! We could sure as hell use some here on Earth.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #78 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm skeptical about this. can you be more specific about the example?

Don't want to turn this into a political discussion, but did you ever hear about the theory of climate change?
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #79 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just find it immensely discriminating that pretty much all UFO sightings are in the US.

Well, we are the most "advanced" or "powerful" country in the world. If you were observing a culture or species, would you observe the mediocre, or would you want to see the best of what that species or culture has to offer?

I understand what you're saying though
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #80 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't want to turn this into a political discussion, but did you ever hear about the theory of climate change?
wink.gif

So why are the ice caps shrinking and ocean levels rising, and the CO2 levels going through the roof? These are all quantifiable observations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, we are the most "advanced" or "powerful" country in the world. If you were observing a culture or species, would you observe the mediocre, or would you want to see the best of what that species or culture has to offer?

I'm American, yet I disavow that remark. Technologically, Japan has us beat and always will, probably. There are other democracies with far lower crime and unemployment, and much better health care. The only way in which we are really superior is our military.

I like my country and am glad to live here (for now) but I would never call us "the most advanced" by any stretch of the imagination. There are plenty of problems here.

I liked this thread better when it was about UFO's (directly).

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #81 of 112
Quote:

wink.gif

there is only a political argument about climate change. in the scientific community there is, in fact, consensus that global warming is real and that humans are having an impact. there are still debates over reversibility and impact.

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #82 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So why are the ice caps shrinking and ocean levels rising, and the CO2 levels going through the roof? These are all quantifiable observations.

Quote:

there is only a political argument about climate change. in the scientific community there is, in fact, consensus that global warming is real and that humans are having an impact. there are still debates over reversibility and impact.

Like i said, i don't want to turn this into a political discussion (despite the fact that i think climate change is/should be a scientific concern) so i'll just point you here:

Science and Public Policy Institute - “Consensus”? What “Consensus”?Among Climate Scientists, The Debate Is Not Over

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #83 of 112
Quote:

Like i said, i don't want to turn this into a political discussion (despite the fact that i think climate change is/should be a scientific concern) so i'll just point you here:

Science and Public Policy Institute - “Consensus”? What “Consensus”?Among Climate Scientists, The Debate Is Not Over

if you think it should be a scientific concern and not political, why are you linking to a website funded by Exxon and run by a former Republican operative?

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #84 of 112
Quote:

if you think it should be a scientific concern and not political, why are you linking to a website funded by Exxon and run by a former Republican operative?

That automatically discounts the source?

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #85 of 112
Quote:

biggrin.gif
Well, would they say anything else? "Yes, global warming is real; we must increase auto efficiency, search for alternative fuel sources, and above all, buy less of our product (oil)." It's in Exxon's best interest to oppose the theory--that's just ridiculously obvious.

Republicans also have a history of opposing initiatives to stop global warming. Why might this be? For one, they have clear, widespread ties to the oil industry; they practically share the same pair of pants.

It's like showing us a study that concludes murder is actually morally correct, funded by a bunch of death row inmates.

Show us a non-concensus study not linked to entities whose best interest lies in discrediting global warming theory, then I'll listen.

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #86 of 112
Quote:

considering no one involved in that site is a scientist, yes.

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #87 of 112
Quote:

considering no one involved in that site is a scientist, yes.

I'd laugh if i didn't think you were serious, so instead i'll just walk away shaking my head.

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #88 of 112
Quote:

I'd laugh if i didn't think you were serious, so instead i'll just walk away shaking my head.

with all due respect, Christopher Monckton is not a climatologist, meteorologist, geologist or, in fact, any ologist of any sort. he's a former policy advisor for Margaret Thatcher and some sort of Viscount.

his boss is Robert Ferguson, a former Republican congressional advisor.

the page you link to is a poor, rambling attempt by Monckton to discredit an article from Science by an actual scientist who reviewed nearly 1,000 randomly selected papers on climate change.

you walk away shaking your head only because you've no reasonable response.

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #89 of 112
Quote:

with all due respect, Christopher Monckton is not a climatologist, meteorologist, geologist or, in fact, any ologist of any sort. he's a former policy advisor for Margaret Thatcher and some sort of Viscount.

his boss is Robert Ferguson, a former Republican congressional advisor.

the page you link to is a poor, rambling attempt by Monckton to discredit an article from Science by an actual scientist who reviewed nearly 1,000 randomly selected papers on climate change.

you walk away shaking your head only because you've no reasonable response.

Yeah, whatever.

Getting back on topic

believe.jpg

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #90 of 112
Even if you are to pick a single paper which suggests otherwise, a meta-analysis shows that the general consensus is most definitely in favour of the theory of climate change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back