UFOs over San Diego?
Jan 18, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #106 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"nothing" is a concept that is next to impossible for the human mind to really grasp... the same for "nonexistence."

quite agree. i think thats why i struggle to understand it, because we as humans aren't used to observing what 'nothing' is.

i wonder if this is where the statement "humans only use 7-10% of our brain capacity" comes from, maybe that is our limit and in the future minds may be able to help unlock the other 'dormant' areas of our brain and put it to use and maybe then, things that we dont understand now....

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #107 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont doubt its expanding, some say its on its way back!

Based on current research, it is expanding. As far as I know scientists just aren't sure whether it might contract in the future or expand further, or whether it may turn out to be a cyclical process. Much of it depends on the mass of the universe, which is still subject to very current research (e.g. CERN).

According to science, there's nothing outside the universe just as there was no time before the big bang. Imaging it is a different matter unless you can practically imagine time emerging out of a time-space singularity caused by quantum effects. (I know I can't
biggrin.gif
)

Of course, everything might be possible (since it's difficult to prove that something is not), but instead of taking wild guesses, it's probably better to stick with what science has to offer until a better theory comes along.

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #108 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to science, there's nothing outside the universe just as there was no time before the big bang.

well, there is no official word from science on that, because what is beyond the universe (or before the universe) is unobservable and immeasurable.

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #109 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, there is no official word from science on that, because what is beyond the universe (or before the universe) is unobservable and immeasurable.

Yes, that's the more correct way to put it.

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #110 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is it so hard for people to believe there's life outside this planet?

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with this.

However, there's a difference between saying "There's life outside of this planet", and saying "There's intelligent life outside of this planet, who is very techonologically advanced, and are relatively close to us, and have visited out planet".

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #111 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marados /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think anyone is disagreeing with this.

However, there's a difference between saying "There's life outside of this planet", and saying "There's intelligent life outside of this planet, who is very techonologically advanced, and are relatively close to us, and have visited out planet".

why do other civiizations have to have visited our planet? - again its almost paying to much credence to our diminuiative little place in the universe.

we are a so called advanced society and we havent visited another advanced societies planets.

i dont buy that as an argument, not you marados, but others who say there cant be anything else out there as they havent visisted us!! just look at us.

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #112 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont buy that as an argument, not you marados, but others who say there cant be anything else out there as they havent visisted us!! just look at us.

Yeah, for sure. Saying that there can't be life period because nothing has visited us is most definitely flawed logic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back