UE10 Pro broke. What now?
Mar 21, 2009 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Harun

Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I have been using the UE10 Pro for 3 years now and have had a great time listening to them. Unfortunately they broke down on me this last week. Don't ask why.

I have been using the sennheiser cx300's since this problem occured. It's a real pain using those coming from the great SQ of the UE10's.

I'm in desperate need for some new high-end iem's. At the moment i'm torn between the Shure SE530's and the UE11's. I can buy the SE530's right away, but i'll have to save up a bit for the UE11. I'm willing to that if it'll be a significant upgrade over the 10's.

I want something more warm sounding this time around (unlike the UE10's). From what i understand, bot of these iem's provide that. A little more bass wouldn't hurt either.

My main question is. How will these iem's compare to the UE10's when used unamped out of a iphone 3g? Will i get a comparable performance out of the SE530's if i won't use an amp?

Any advice is appreciated!

Mar 21, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 36
you spent so much on ue10pro.

why don't send it to UE for a checkup ?

Mar 21, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 36
Honestly, once you go customs, I don't think you should look back. So I'd heartily suggest getting the UE-11, since they're said to be much warmer than the 10's. I like them myself quite a bit, though I do have a few minor fit issues.

Mar 21, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from what i've read, the tf10 is probably the "worst" out of the top-4.. i'd look into the W3

Except he has UE10 not TF10...

I'd say maybe look into ES3X?

Mar 21, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #8 of 36
The ES3x should be on your watchlist as well.

It's cheaper than the 11s and especially if you consider that UE is drawing some bad publicity pertaining to their service attitude lately.

Mar 21, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with sending them back?
They may even offer you an upgrade deal to UE11.

Well it's a lot of hassle for me to send broken IEM's all the way from the Netherlands to the States and hope i'll get some sort of a deal.

And i agree with some of you here. The customer service isn't all that.

Mar 21, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZarakiSan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, once you go customs, I don't think you should look back. So I'd heartily suggest getting the UE-11, since they're said to be much warmer than the 10's. I like them myself quite a bit, though I do have a few minor fit issues.

I think you're right. The other thing i'm concerned about when it comes to universals is the fit. I had the Shure E4c's way back in the day and i almost got paranoid trying to figure out what was the best tip for me. I'm afraid i'll have the same issue with the SE530's.

By the way, how do the UE11's sound unamped?

Mar 21, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're right. The other thing i'm concerned about when it comes to universals is the fit. I had the Shure E4c's way back in the day and i almost got paranoid trying to figure out what was the best tip for me. I'm afraid i'll have the same issue with the SE530's.

By the way, how do the UE11's sound unamped?

imo, rather passable. Mid's are fine, bass doesn't reach that deep nor have extension, and the high's aren't sparkly. My 11's need a good amp to shine properly. With amps (SR71A / Pico), the ue11 opens up greatly. Think of it like improvements on all aspects. The bass becomes really hard hitting and textured, with a deep extension, and soundstaging really opens up more.

one note though: The ue11 is bassy. If you don't like bass leaking into the midrange, don't get it. I'm fine with it though, because the mids are something to die for, especially on jazz. That being said, I'm looking at a ES3X to complement the ue11.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #12 of 36
I own a pair of ue11’s and absolutely love their warmth, will they replace my home set up of hd650s & woo6, absolutely not. But if you’re looking for the best portable iem’s on the market and price isn’t an issue, I’d highly recommend them. You can read my take on them here. If you decide to go custom, imo the most important step is to get the best ear impressions possible so as not to have fit issues.

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own a pair of ue11’s and absolutely love their warmth, will they replace my home set up of hd650s & woo6, absolutely not. But if you’re looking for the best portable iem’s on the market and price isn’t an issue, I’d highly recommend them. You can read my take on them here. If you decide to go custom, imo the most important step is to get the best ear impressions possible so as not to have fit issues.

which headphone would replicate ue11's sound signature very closely?

i have trouble looking for one since...

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #14 of 36
Thank you Coldsky. I don't think i'm gonna mind the bass. The UE10's allways left me wanting some more in that regard. So the UE11's bass could be just what i'm looking for.

Walkgood. I see you have experience with the SE530's. How does an unamped se530 compare to an unamped UE11? That's pretty much my greatest concern. I have read that although the se530's benefits from an amp, it doesn't really need one. If both of these IEM's perform close to each other unamped, getting the shures sound more logical to me.

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you Coldsky. I don't think i'm gonna mind the bass. The UE10's allways left me wanting some more in that regard. So the UE11's bass could be just what i'm looking for.

Walkgood. I see you have experience with the SE530's. How does an unamped se530 compare to an unamped UE11? That's pretty much my greatest concern. I have read that although the se530's benefits from an amp, it doesn't really need one. If both of these IEM's perform close to each other unamped, getting the shures sound more logical to me.

Have you considered the Westone 3 at all? The cables on the SE530, after coming from the UE-10, will be a nightmare - they're bulky, thick and heavy (having an extension only making matters worse), and MICROPHONICS. Also, lots of people have reported cable problems with the SE530, cables cracking, etc.

If you're not considering customs any more, the W3 cable is pretty much like the one you already know, ie light, strong, no microphonics, and no extensions, plug being L-shaped and not straight like the SE530.

Also, quite a few people prefer the W3 over the SE530 (me included) - I've owned both. The W3 is very comfortable too.

From the sounds of it, owning such an expensive set of customs, I think you'd better contact UE, and ask either for a repair or an upgrade to UE-11.

Or else, as others have commented, check also the Westone customs ES3X ($850)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back